SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

the future of chocolate

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11747616
Quote:

Cocoa genome 'will save chocolate industry'By Jason Palmer

Science and technology reporter, BBC News, Zurich
In some areas, cocoa growers are facing a "crunch" The public release of the genome of the cacao tree - from which chocolate is made - will save the chocolate industry from collapse, a scientist has said.

Howard Yana-Shapiro, a researcher for Mars, said that without engineering higher-yielding cacao trees, demand would outstrip supply within 50 years.

Dr Yana-Shapiro said such strains will also help biodiversity and farmers' welfare in cacao-growing regions.

The genome's availability will likely lead to healthier, tastier chocolate.

The sequencing of the genome was an international, multidisciplinary effort between firms including Mars and IBM, the US department of agriculture and a number of universities, and was announced in September.

Dr Shapiro, once described as a "biodiversifarian", was speaking at an event at IBM's research labs in Zurich when he called the date the genome was released "the greatest day of my life".

"In late 2007, it became very apparent to me that we would not have a continuous supply of cocoa going into the future if we did not intervene on a massive scale to secure our supply chain."

"Cote d'Ivoire is the largest producer of cocoa in the world," Dr Shapiro continued. "Mars has bought cocoa from there for sixty years - but when we started to understand the environmental and ecological conditions, the productivity, sociocultural and economic conditions, I realised this was a moment of crisis for this region."

Dr Shapiro says the date the cocoa genome was released was the "greatest day" of his life What is at issue is both the inherent yield of varying strains of the Theobroma cacao tree, which on average currently produce 400 kilograms per hectare of land. What is needed is to make more cocoa from fewer trees and less land.

"In 10 years, under a 2% increase in consumption we will need (an area corresponding to) another Cote d'Ivoire. There is no more place to grow it, productivity with less land must be our driver."

The genetic codes of major global staple crops such as rice and wheat have been decoded, with a view to improving yields or nutritive properties. However, those crops are grown principally on large, industrial farms.

Cocoa, by comparison, is grown for the most part on small farms by individual farmers and sold on in a less centralised market.

Disease and drought

For that reason, Dr Shapiro said, increases to yields or the cocoa butter and fat content - for which cocoa farmers are actually paid - could directly affect the lives of some 6.5 million small farmers around the globe.

Under his direction, the consortium sequenced the Theobroma cacao genome in a remarkably short time, finishing three years ahead of schedule.

The whole of the genome was first published, as Dr Shapiro puts it, "in the public domain and protected from patenting for perpetuity - so everyone would have free and continued access to it".

Now correlations between certain characteristics - such as disease and drought resistance or higher proportions of healthier fats - can be made in the field with the benefit of relatively inexpensive laboratory equipment. In this way, each region ensures it has strains that will produce the most, and the best, cocoa.

There are a number of other characteristics that, in time, may be maximised on a genetic basis - such as the level of chemicals known as flavinols, which have been implicated in laboratory tests of heart health.

'Ecological stability'

"Soon it will be the norm as opposed to the exception: healthy fats, high levels of flavinols, so that chocolate will actually become something quite different. Whether that's 10, 15 20 years away, it's on that track now."

Higher yields will free up land for other under-utilised crops in the region such as yams, sorghum and plantains. Dr Shapiro sees such small changes - that a chocolate consumer never sees - as a tangible human benefit of science-driven agriculture.

"It gives you social stability in the rural sector, it gives you cultural stability that doesn't break up the rural sector, it gives you environmental stabilty because we're reducing the risk to the environment from agricultural chemistry, it gives you ecological stability because we're protecting the remnant forest, it also sequesters carbon," he said.

"This is the really 'Green Revolution' of understanding the entire ecosystem from which you are working."

Sand Timer x 3
Thanks to the Fae!
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The major news to me was that they published this in the public domain to spanner stupid and damaging patent farmers from exploiting it.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

cocoa beans that eat you first...

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

sunshine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm interested in what this will do to the market in Senegalese orphan girls whose murdered fathers were cocoa magnets.

I have explain this whole process to you so many times over and over again. - Spencer
Safari Praveen - Hanuman Junction - Hyderabad x2
Safari Bola - Accra - Cotonou Safari Alex - Accra - Abidjan Safari Austin - Accra - Abidjan
Safari George - Accra - Cotonou - Lome - Niamtougou Safari Toks London - Milford Haven
pony pony pony Mortar Closed lad accounts x170 Czech Republic Easter Egg 2011 Sand Timer Engineer Cooke vs. Temeraire x8
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^
Exactly.The greatest threat to cocoa magnets is being poisoned to death.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@manbiteslion- Yes. That was the news to me as well.
As for the orphaned children of deceased cocoa merchants, well, I can't imagine they're ripe for the 'endangered species' list quite yet.

I'm still getting the soldier-in-Irak-finds-Saddam's-gold scripts in my catcher account, after all.
So I think the cocoa merchants will be with us for some time to come.
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rather than force us to accept this mutant derivative of cocoa, brought about from dangerous and unholy experimentation on an already perfect natural product. Couldn't they just make chocolate bars smaller and charge more for them, at the same time convincing us that extensive market research said that's what we really wanted in the first place? Smile

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ They keep trying but almost every time, there is a row over reducing the size, the nationals just love these rows. Laughing

Closed lad accounts x40

FUK OOOOOOOOF - Mrs Cooker James
you are a fo0l forever because you are not worthy to be a human being but an Animal.
.something that cannot take 10minutes is taking you 2months- barrister lawrence
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic