SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

More sophisticated fraudsters ?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Pisspot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I recently received a phishing Email purporting to be from HSBC. It was rather plain compared with many of the others I have seen (no logos). The first link took me to a page very like the real HSBC page asking only for my user ID. When this was completed a second form appeared asking for date of birth and security number. The date box had a verification procedure so that only a genuine date (in the past) could be entered - and the entered digits were obscured (as in the security box). I was then passed to what appeared to be the real HSBC site - I followed it no further.
This would seem to indicate that at least some of the fraudsters are becoming more sophisticated and educated than many we hear of here.

N.B. No genune information was passed and I am fully firewalled and virus/trojan protected. I also have no HSBC account

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Might have been a key logger.
Key loggers are programs that track the physical pressing of keys on your computer and transmit the keystrokes elsewhere, in the hope of finding passwords for Internet banking sites, credit card numbers, and other sensitive information.
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not a keylogger, just plain phishing. Feel free to head over to the fake banks forum here, and either get it killed, or learn about fake bank killing and do it yourself with one of our friendly fakeykillers!

Keyloggers are hardware or software installed on the victims computer, this was a fake bank webpage passing to the real bank in the hope you'd think you'd mistyped details and had to try again, so not report/kill the site. The verification code is simple to clone/implement if you know what you're doing.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As MBL said, it is a phishing site. However, phishing sites are outside of our scope here, and we don't handle those sites in our fake banks forum.

The major banks all have staff or contract security firms who are responsible for handling and dismantling phishing scams. By far the best thing to do is to forward any phishing emails to the real institution--they will handle it.

Some of the phishing sites are created by professional scam gangs, and unlike most of the 419 sites we deal with, they can be very high quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ forward the mail to [email protected]

As Dorothy says - the Bank will handle things from their end.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic