SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Facebook scammer

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
harpie84
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001405980352

I'm 99.9 percent sure this is a scammer - does anyone recognize the picture? The funny thing is he's sent me several messages despite it being very clear that I'm happily married. His English is lousy, despite claiming to have a degree from the Univeristy (SP!) of Liverpool.

I'd like to warn off the women who've already friended him, but I wanted to see if anyone recognizes the picture.
Thanks!
erc0710
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Agree there are a lot of scammers not only in facebook.
gerald.fird
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TinEye brings up nothing on the picture

Safari Mrs. CHIPIWA MAZIVA - Johannesburg to Cape Town - 1800 miles round-trip

"IDIOT DEY FOOL YOURSELF........ YOU NON GET WORK DATS WHY U DE FIND FOLLOW UP..... ILLITERATE
TAKE MY ID MAKE U ADD ME

MAKE I SHOW U MY WEBMAIL... U WILL NO DAT AM NOT HUNGRY... HUNGER GO KILL UR GENERATION"
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello harpie84, and welcome to Eater!

If you posted some of his messages to you, it might be clearer whether or not these are typical scammer messages. If he has emailed you at all, you could also do a googlesearch on his email address, plus post the headers of one of his emails, which might reveal his true location.

The 'friends' he has on Facebook might, of course, be fake people, including scammers and/or baiters. If you wish to warn other women about a scammer, it is therefore better to post the scammer's details on our sister site ScamWarners (there's a link at the top of the page). However, before you do that, you do need proof that the individual is a scammer, so not to falsely accuse an innocent person, or just somebody who tells lies in the hope of impressing others.

Sometimes this is difficult with 'friendship' (or love) scammers, as they may wait quite a long while before asking you for money. Yes, we'd like to be able to recognise them all, but we do have to err on the side of caution, and stick to 'if there is any doubt ... leave them alone'.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
harpie84
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the welcome! I was on Eater a couple of years ago, dealing with another love scammer that hit me up on Lavalife. I got suspicious and found out the picture he/she was using was used by a lot of 419'ers, and luckily did not get burned.

Here's the message from "Daniel Reed":
Quote:
I was looking for someone on this site today and came across you. Your picture caught my eyes and i was interesting and felt you would be someone I would enjoy getting to know you .However, I know that I may be outside of your distance or age requirement ... so, if this is a deal breaker for you please, let me know ... if not, ... I do look forward to opening a line of communication with you.

To me, the English is suspicious; his citation of Univeristy (sp) of Liverpool is suspicious. He lists his hometown as the same city that I'm in, but despite having lived here for three years he doesn't show up in the directory or on any search engine. And here's his "bio"

Quote:
I am 100% GERMAN raised in an orphanage in BERLIN...Grew up and was never adopted studied and played flutes and saxophones in Bars and restaurant to support myself in school, I attended my college in Liverpool university after which i emerged as a Geologist ...i got married years after that to a school soul mate and had a son jeff ..I am currently working as an individual Oil contract for Various Oil companies across Asia .Sinopec PETROL & Chemicals for example.My wife died of brain cancer 7 years ago, that was really painful, you could not imagine watching someone you loved with your life dying and you can not do anything.. i needed to start a new life and that made me moved to the states with my son i have been in the states for 3 yrs now and have loved it so much here....I am naturally fascinated by truly i non-conformist artistic creative types or those with a passion for something which involves creating anything or helping others. I believe that opposites attract for a reason, and if it does not drive you nuts, you can truly enjoy being with someone very different in nature.

The whole thing screams scammer to me...

Removed quote of me, because as much as I'm worth reading twice, my post is actually just immediately above - Branwen
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I read the first message and saw the words 'deal breaker', I thought that that didn't sound like a scammer.

The second message, however, does:

- German ... to explain away the non-British accent?
- Need to support himself in school? School education is free in Germany.
- Has a tragically dead wife, and a son. You are supposed to feel sorry for him ... and his son could come in useful for an accident requiring hospital fees to be paid?
- Became a geologist .. and then went to work for an oil company?
- Now in the States. Can German citizens just move to the States, no problem?
- Likes people who help others. Anyone in mind?

There are still some unexpected parts:

- non-conformist artistic creative types
- if it does not drive you nuts

I would suggest that you move him onto email. Assuming that you already have an anonymous baiting account! And see what his headers have to say about him.

BUT .... in the meantime, do play it cool, be boring, talk about ironing and the weather, don't immediately fall in love. Wait to confirm him as a scammer first.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
harpie84
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Branwen wrote:
- Became a geologist .. and then went to work for an oil company?

Actually, that's exactly what a lot of geologists do - I graduated from a university with a pretty good geology program and most of the people I knew from there went into oil & gas exploration.

Otherwise, this guy comes up as a scammer.

I'm more interested in getting him off Facebook and telling the women he has befriended to watch out - I don't have an email from him - just several (!) friend requests that I don't intend to reply to.
Thanks, though, for looking at this in the same way I do.

Reduced quote to the part addressed - Branwen
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As I said before, you don't know who his 'friends' are (or whether they are genuine people - or not), so it is not advisable to 'warn' them. They could be fake profiles that he - if he is a scammer - has set up.

And if your contact with him is through your 'real life' Facebook account then, of course, you should not consider baiting him at all. Just drop all contact. Even if you just have suspicions about him: drop all contact.

You have stated that it is possible for a geologist to work for an oil company, so that possibly eliminates one 'sign of scammer'. So there is also the possibility that he is not a scammer.

I do understand your motivation in wanting to protect women from scammers. I share that motivation.

But sometimes we have to say, 'Not enough proof' and let it be.

There are many many confirmed scammers out there. Let's concentrate on those.

NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I recognize him.

This is a picture I have:

This is the picture on your guy's profile:

At this resolution, it's difficult to be 100% certain whether it's the same person or just a lookalike. However, my guy is also passing himself off to be a German expatriate, and also trying to meet people on the internet.

Too much of a coincidence for me. Even if he's not a scammer (which he most likely is), he's clearly a creeper since "he's sent [you] several messages despite it being very clear that [you're] happily married." That is, assuming his messages to you allude to romance, of course.

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

While it is not unusual for geologists to work for oil companies, it is still very suspicious, because the top career choice of African scammers is oil contractor! It tends to be used to explain future trips to Africa. Overall, the English does look African.

Quote:
Have been widow for some yrs now and i need someone to love and be with me for the rest of my life.

This statement definitely reeks of scammer. However, as Branwen said, assuming it is your real profile, you shouldn't bait.

Not the same person as Nick's photo though--those are 2 different men.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
"My wife died of Brain cancer 7 years ago"

Sounds INCREDIBLY suspicious, even for someone who may not speak english as a first language. I've received lots of emails from scammers whose wife/husband died of brain cancer... Added my fake African profile to his, we'll see what happens

Safari x1 (Senegal to Gambia)
"You can go now and f*ck yourself with a donkey or horse because you really need to be f*cked by a donkey or horse"
(George Michael's brother Frank/Frannypoo)

"You are a dead meat!"
(Léon the (Not so) Professional)

Closed lad accounts (19 in total:
x2 Léon the (not so) Professional. x4 Via Swindler's list. x4 Via Will and Grace the Law Firm. x3 *Hitman, x1 Hitman: The sequel!, , x1 Haiti scam, x1 The Bimbo (via Umbongo Chambers),
x1 Rita the ETA eater, x1 Via Team Doughnut, x1 Via Prince Emaka, x4 via the Nazis)
MYWAY1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am trying to access the July 27 post with the facebook profile ID. I can't seem to get it to pull up. Can anyone help me. I have logged into my FB account, but can't figure out how to search by profile #.

That verbage is exactly the same as was written to me about 3 months ago.

Thanks for any help...
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just click this direct link...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001405980352

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic