SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

"Help, stuck in Cyrpus" scam emails

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
whgt
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here are the details:

Someone got my aunt's hotmail password. They logged in, changed the password, sent and email out to all of her contacts saying she was stuck in Cyprus and needed money Western Unioned to her, and were also forwarding all of her emails to a hotmail.co.uk address.

Any tips on covering all of my bases here? I already regained control of her inbox back.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Email all of the contacts and tell them what has happened. You don't want them sending on money.

Personally, I'd then ditch the box and get a new one. If the scammer has gained access to it once, he's almost certain to try again.

Any other questions, visit out sister site - www.scamwarners.com

There are people there who will be able to help you out.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
whgt
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slightlyoutofit wrote:
Email all of the contacts and tell them what has happened. You don't want them sending on money.

Personally, I'd then ditch the box and get a new one. If the scammer has gained access to it once, he's almost certain to try again.

Any other questions, visit out sister site - www.scamwarners.com

There are people there who will be able to help you out.

Thank you. I did all of that, nuked her emails (Inbox, Sent, Saved, etc etc) and set her up with two new email addresses...one for real stuff and one for online registrations, forums, etc etc.

Also put a 6 month fraud alert on all 3 of her credit reports, just to be safe. Overkill I know but it works and it's free.
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like you've done a good job of covering your bases.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi everyone, my first post on this site so please dont kill me!

i have had this same email: stuck in cyprus, and i have been having a fun chat with the scammer, is there anywhere specific where i should upload the email copy so people can see how dumb this person is?
TaleSpinner
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ninjatron

If you've emailed the scammer from your own account, you should drop him immediately and not publish any information relating to that bait. It would have too many ties to who you really are.

Then, if you want to bait, set up a new email account that has no relation to your real life. Look around this site, read the Stickies and the Eater U posts, and sign up for a mentor to ask questions to. Rule #1, Bait Safe.

Welcome to Eater! Smile

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TaleSpinner wrote:
@Ninjatron

If you've emailed the scammer from your own account, you should drop him immediately and not publish any information relating to that bait. It would have too many ties to who you really are.

Then, if you want to bait, set up a new email account that has no relation to your real life. Look around this site, read the Stickies and the Eater U posts, and sign up for a mentor to ask questions to. Rule #1, Bait Safe.

Welcome to Eater! Smile

thanks for the welcome! yea i kinda screwed up, he emailed me from a friends email account, and actually convinced me for the first few emails which is kinda scary, he had their home address and full name etc,

i dragged it out for a while and then whilst trying to help my friend get a new email address and let all her contacts know, i got annoyed at all the work i was having to do to fix it, so i told the scammer i was on to them,

thing was they actually replied and said they hated scamming but they were having such trouble finding a job...
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We do see that response. Ultimately the confession / explanation is usually just a setup for a begging approach/attempt to get money...

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dorothy wrote:
We do see that response. Ultimately the confession / explanation is usually just a setup for a begging approach/attempt to get money...

i suppose thats my problem, i believe everyone has some good in them, even the nigerians lol
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic