SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Wondering about the slow down in lad activity?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As usual, the BBC provides the answers.
Not only do we have the Nigerian 50th Anniversary of Independance on the horizon, but we´re in the middle of the Yam Festival celebrations!

Quote:
22 September 2010 Last updated at 10:38 GMT Share this pageFacebookTwitter ShareEmail Print
Celebrating Nigeria's yummy yams
By Fidelis Mbah

BBC News, southern Nigeria

Nigerian yam festivals marking the end of the farming season are akin to new year festivities
For Nigerians currently feasting on and celebrating the yam harvest with carnival-like festivities, the starchy tuber is more than a food staple.

Traditional fertility and marriage ceremonies are not carried out in the south-east of Nigeria unless a big unwieldy yam - which can weigh up to 70kg (150lb) - is presented.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
Instead of growing yams, Igbos have embraced trading. They are now only celebrating yams and not growing it”
End Quote
Felix Nweke

Economist
This is why the Igbo people refer to yam as "the king of crops" and August and September are a time for traditional dances, drumming, masquerades and dressing up in village squares.

"From my great grandfathers, yam has always been celebrated because it is very important to us," said Mary Eze at a new yam festival in the village of Ukpo Dunukofia in Anambra State.

"We can pound yam, we can boil the yam and when we eat we have a lot of energy," she added, boasting of its versatility.

Yams are a primary agricultural commodity across much of West and Central Africa where tubers are planted between February and April and harvested 180 to 270 days later.

Annual yam festivals are also observed at this time in other African countries as the tubers of the early maturing varieties are harvested and delivered to markets.

In Ivory Coast, for example, funerals and burials are delayed in some communities until the local yam festival has been observed to underscore the importance attached to the crop.

Pest pressure

But there are fears for such traditions as the cultivation of the crop, consumed by 60 million people on a daily basis in Africa alone, is under threat.

Continue reading the main story
Yam - King of Crops

The starchy tubers can weigh up to 70kg
An estimated 60m Africans eat yams daily
They can be stored up to six months without refrigeration
West Africa produces more than 94% of the world's yams
Planted between February and April
Harvested after 180 to 270 days
Can be barbecued, roasted, fried, grilled, boiled, smoked or grated
Their harvest marks the farming season's end for the Igbo people
Used in traditional Igbo ceremonies
"Instead of growing yams, Igbos have embraced trading," says Professor Felix Nweke, a development economist.

"They are now only celebrating yams and not growing it."

Yam cultivation began 11,000 years ago and the tubers now grow on vines in Africa, the Americas, the Caribbean, South Pacific and Asia.

But farmers in Africa's "yam belt" - comprising of Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Ivory Coast, Central Africa, Cameroon and Togo - produce more than 94% of the world's yams.

And Nigeria alone accounts for 71% of the world's total production.

Though driving through the country's southern and middle belt regions, one would never know there was a problem.

Fields look green and fertile and seem to promise a good yam harvest.

Yet experts say yam production is decreasing in some traditional producing areas because of declining soil fertility and increasing pest pressure.

"Yam has come under serious threat from pests and is in competition with other less nutritious crops like cassava," says Robert Asiedu, research director at International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in the Nigerian city of Ibadan.

Yam bank

Another challenge facing yam production is the high cost of labour and there appears not to be enough capital available to farmers for increasing their production.

Small-scale farmers like Thomas Anioji find it hard to get loans Most small-scale farmers in Nigeria are not able to access loans because of a lack of security or track record.

This is the fate of farmers at Isu-Awa community in Awgu, Enugu State, who are no longer able meet their family needs because of declining production.

"It's so difficult to get support to plant yams," says farmer Thomas Anioji.

"I have tried several times to get government loans. They promise to come today, come tomorrow and they never give me any loan."

But hope is at hand for the long-term conservation of Africa's yams thanks to an initiative by the Global Crop Diversity Trust.

Its scientists say the continent's yam varieties are in danger of being picked off by pests or diseases and common disasters like fire or flooding.

This month the trust started an ambitious project to add 3,000 yam samples to an international gene bank at IITA to guarantee the diversity of the crop.

"It's really akin to putting money in the bank," Cary Fowler, the trust's executive director, said in a statement.

"All crops routinely face threats from plant pests, disease, or shifting weather patterns, and a country's ability to breed new varieties to overcome these challenges is directly tied to what they have in the bank, not just in terms of financial resources but in terms of the diversity in their crop collections."

Using the collection, scientists hope to able to find disease-resistance traits with higher yields - key to improving farmers' fortunes.

How will you be celebrating Nigeria's 50 years of independence? Send us your comments using the postform below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11385436

At the very least, baiters have new taunts for lazy lads!

Last edited by psychicbait on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuda, the killer cat
Craziest cat ever

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Thanks - That pretty much explains why my lad suddenly misses his "late shift".

This also extends my lad's torture as my rich old widow lives in GMT -4 - So she completely misses his "early shift" Laughing

But being a lion, the most powerful predator in the world I would bite your MUGU head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question:
"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, MUGU?

Closed lad accounts X 4 - My first ones - Same lad, nice guy Smile
Closed lad accounts X 2 - From same hitlad Smile

YOU GET EXTRA HURTY DEATH AFTERR YOU WORDS - Hitbadger - Now one of us, you're so welcome Exclamation
THE PROBLEM IS I AM RUNNING OUT OF PATIENT - Hitlad
GET ME MONEY THEM I WILL TELL YOU WERE HE HIS, JUST MONEY ANY ABOUT BECAUSE I HATE THAT BUSTARD. - Same hitlad Smile
Goat Golden Goat
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And a flooding!

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

Bart Fargo
Corporate Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
"We can pound yam, we can boil the yam and when we eat we have a lot of energy"

Oh I'd like to pound some yams into them, won't give them much energy, but will cause them to walk real funny!! Twisted Evil

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic