SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

two million displaced in Nigerian flooding

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
24 September 2010 Last updated at 20:34 GMT Share this pageFacebookTwitter ShareEmail Print Northern Nigeria flooding 'displaces two million' About two million people in northern Nigeria have been displaced after authorities opened the floodgates on two dams, an official says.

The flooding began suddenly when the gates on the Challawa and Tiga dams were opened, a spokesman for the Jigawa governor said.

The dams are in Kano state, but about 5,000 villages in neighbouring Jigawa state have been affected, he added.

Several states in northern Nigeria have been hit by floods this year.

It is not yet clear whether residents received a warning or if anyone was injured or went missing in the flooding, reported the Associated Press news agency.

The floodgates are normally opened every year during the rainy season.

Nigeria's meteorological agency had previously forecast low rainfall in the north, warning that more than 12 million people could face food shortages as a result, according to the AFP news agency.

In a normal year, the water released from the dams flows into fields, irrigating crops of corn, rice and vegetables during the brief growing season.

Jigawa and Kano are part of the Sahel region, a belt of semi-arid land south of the Sahara desert.

In neighbouring Niger, millions are facing food shortages after a prolonged drought caused crops to fail. That was followed by severe flooding last month. Millions are now facing food shortages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11409167
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This from Medecins Sans Frontieres:

Quote:
More than 100,000 people have been forced to leave their homes due to flooding in northwestern Nigeria, after a dam failed on the Rima River near Goronyo, Sokoto State, on 8 September.

Dozens of villages were rapidly submerged when a large section of the Goronyo dam’s spillway collapsed. The area is experiencing one of the wettest rainy seasons on record, which is being blamed for the collapse of the spillway.

In the affected villages, people have been struggling to hold back the rising waters with sandbags. Thousands of mud-brick houses have been destroyed by the flood. Homeless people are living under improvised shelters of plastic sheeting and sticks, on whatever dry ground they can find. The fortunate are finding refuge with neighbours and families.

Others are fleeing to higher ground, wading with their families through floodwaters that are chest-deep in places, with their belongings balanced on their heads. At a secondary school in Goronyo town, thousands of people have sought shelter, along with their livestock. Conditions are cramped and unsanitary. People don’t know when they will be able to return to their villages, to salvage what is left of their homes and try to rebuild their lives.

In addition to losing their homes and possessions, many families have seen their crops completely wiped out, and their stores of food ruined. In an area where people depend on subsistence agriculture, this represents a complete loss of livelihood. For these families, finding sufficient food will be a major concern in the coming months.

Following initial flooding on 1 September, Médecins Sans Frontières distributed blankets and mosquito nets to thousands of displaced people and installed a water distribution system. In the coming days, Médecins Sans Frontières will conduct a larger distribution, delivering supplies for up to 60,000 people – including tarpaulins, blankets, mosquito nets and soap – along with 600,000 litres per day of clean water.

The full extent and numbers of people affected by the flooding are still unknown, and Médecins Sans Frontières is continuing to survey the area. Villages as far as 200 km from the dam have been affected. “It’s difficult to make an accurate assessment", said Médecins Sans Frontières project coordinator Chris Houston, “because the roads are cut off and we’re relying essentially on word of mouth.”

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So that´s three dams open then.
Quote:
Nigeria's meteorological agency had previously forecast low rainfall in the north, warning that more than 12 million people could face food shortages as a result, according to the AFP news agency.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad.

Click.

Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm wondering if lads would sink as low as (pun not intended) using this as apart of their current or new scripts?

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^They will, bet on it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic