SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Am I just plain stupid, or what?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
margory
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tonight I got this weird telephone call.
An English voice mail message telling me that my telephone number had been randomly picked to receive a cruise of some sort.
If I were interested in any more info, please press 9.

Confused Confused Confused Shocked Shocked

There's no way I'd ever be stupid enough to do just that.
Now, English might not be my native language but I do know enough to realize that this smells fishy ... big time.

Unfortunately there are enough people around here who would press 9, just to see what would happen (just thinking of my grandparents, all near 90's and a good friend who's English is almost non-existent).

What do you think I should do? Contact anyone? Or just let it go?

Somehow I think this is some sort of telephone scam or telephone phishing attempt.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is just telemarketing, Margory . Ignore it.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe not a scam as such, but you'd have to go and attend a timeshare or holiday hard sell, then still pay fees to go on your 'free' holiday, or ring an expensive phone line for details.

I had a lot saying 'Congratulations! you've won a...' I never did find out what, because I'd slammed the phone down by then.

Really these marketers work in the same way as 419 scammers, by offering you something for (apparently) nothing. Of course it never turns out that way.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey

Last edited by Roycropper on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
margory
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the quick reply.
I did slam the phone down, but I was so tired from work that I wasn't really able to think straight for a minute.
Go figure.
At least there are some nice / decent / awake people out there who are willing to help out with good comments.
Wink Wink
conga22
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The latest one seems to start off "Have you ever taken out personal loan insurance..................." Twisted Evil No, now F**K OFF is my usual reply. Unfortunately 8 times out of 10 it is an automated machine. But the 2 times makes it worthwhile Laughing

Tags fixed - RC

There is a lot of spaces in the receipt for them to put their stamp, so why do they put the stamp on the 10 digital codes, and you know that without the correct number ,western union here cannot issue out the payment. (I know Laughing)
When i tell you how to do things well you will do the opposite Why?-Joseph D1ar4
Closed lad accounts X60 X3
Tattoo Vcamerawatch video here Safari Lagos to Cotonou - thanks Mr. Grant

Mortar Japan Portugal United Kingdom x4 Easter Egg 2012
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
But the 2 times makes it worthwhile

Laughing Laughing It does, indeed.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
GoNadsGo
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try this...

"Have you ever taken out personal loan insurance..................." Why yes I have, are you offering personal loans?...oh...can you hold one minute there's someone at my door...set the phone down and go back to whatever you were doing....next time you walk by the phone hang it up. In true "eater" tradition this method slows the live telemarketers down...from making their next harassing call... Laughing

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like that a lot GoNadsGo Laughing

I report them here http://whocalled.us/lookup/8666297707 and here http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-514-876-1307 hoping to warn one or two with it. Plus they have sometimes nice tips how to report a claim against that number Twisted Evil

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GoNadsGo wrote:
set the phone down and go back to whatever you were doing....next time you walk by the phone hang it up

Unfortunately, my Mum does this when I ring her from abroad, assuming that when her caller ID says 'International', it's Clive of India, trying to sell her electricity or something.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Elizabeth1601
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Margory,
I don't know what country you live in, but where I am, this kind of telephone calls is not necessarily telemarketing.
If someone asks you to "push 9", it is a way to break into your phone data, a sort of skimming operation. Don't ask me how they do it though !

So maybe this could be a scam after all !
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here it is kids...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_slamming

There's more out there when you google it. I use being a victim of slamming as a reason not to be able to call out of country. Keeps the international calls from being made or so I want the lads to believe.

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I constantly receive calls from people spruiking Wyndham Vacation Resorts or some such. Sometimes I cut them short; sometimes I let them ramble. Last week one of them asked me, "Have you ever taken advantage of our offer before?" So I answered, "Oh yeah - you people ring me all the time." She muttered something and hung up.

Back in July I had a call from two strongly accented individuals who tried to tell me that they had confirmed information that my computer had been infected with viruses and malware. I told the first one (a man) that I'd received no error messages or virus warnings, and after a while he handed me over to a second one (a woman) who told me they had fifteen or more error messages logged from my computer. I asked for details of when and what. She went away, and not long after the line went dead.

I've been told that they would have asked to remote-access my computer, at which point they'd have spun me a yarn about virus infestation, and charged me hundreds to "fix the problem".

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I always tell them that I'm the Mistress and should not be here. Razz

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I once knew a woman in her 70's who kept a very loud, high pitched whistle in a basket next to her phone...

Most telemarketers did not call her house twice.

As far as the cruise goes, the VAST majority of those are timeshares, or simply "free" cruises with a zillion fees attached that ultimately cost more than one you book through a travel agent.

** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If it is a female on the other end, I listen attentively for as long as I can, (about 30secs) then ask if she is wearing Vic Secrets Lingerie. I rarely get to ask any further than that.

If it is a male, I do a very good impersonation of Frankenfurter and ask him if he prefers to be on top or underneath.

I get the same reaction and they never call back Crying or Very sad

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic