SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New scam....I think

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
geezus419
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone encountered this money order scam?

If not beware...

I replied to an Ad in the local paper for a landscaping job. After contacting the posting party by email, I got a reply telling me that the position had been filled but "family friend" needed some help doing book-keeping.

After emailing the "family friend" I got a reply from a guy saying he was running a quilting business from the UK and he needed someone to receive payments from company clients and then send the payments via WU to him. Evidently it was too much of a hassle for him to pick up the payments himself. He said he would need my name and address, have payments sent to me which I would cash at my local bank, I would keep 10% and wire the rest an address provided by him.

I will admit that I fell for this. I gave up my name and address. Two days later I received two money orders via UPS for $977 each made out to me, along with instructions of where to send the remaining funds. My first tip off was that the recipient was in Malaysia, and the second was that on my way out the door I got a call from a strange number, country: Nigeria. I decided not to deposit the orders at my bank, and instead took them to a local check cashing service because these people don't miss anything, and if anything was sketchy about the orders they would def figure it out.

Of course the money orders were fake. I'm pretty new to scams. Evidently what happens is people deposit the orders in their own bank accounts and then directly wire the money out (the scammer told me to be sure the transaction was done right away because "important business" was pending on arrival). When the money order comes back fraudulent, the account holder is responsible for the money. People can get into deep shit for this. I almost fell for it. I felt pretty fucking stupid no lie.

Again I am new to these 419ers, and I may be way behind everyone else, but if you haven't encountered this one yet watch out.
Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to eater, geezus. What you describe is a check scam but this time with money orders. As you correctly surmised, the idea is to get you to send them real money while you get stuck holding the bag with a worthless check or, in your case, a worthless money order. It is interesting that this started with an ad in a local paper. Check scams are fairly common but I'm not sure how common that is.

There are folks here that specialize in baiting this type of scammer and pulling fake checks out of circulation. Glad you didn't get burned.

Since the lads have your personal details, cease all correspondence with them.

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"there is something fishery going on", "You people are all Junks", E. Kaba
"Go and face your dumb life", J. Mathin
"You are not well trained as a human being...", M. Tony
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
Vampiremerchant
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I felt pretty fucking stupid no lie.

Please do not feel like that unfortunately there are too many that do fall for it, that's why we do what we do... Laughing

Welcome to Eater, read the stickies, and bait safe, as advised drop all contact with those people

Closed lad accounts x 35 Easter Egg

Mortar x 100

Thailand (with thanks to Nigel Tuffnel)
Thailand United Kingdom
Thailand
Thailand
Thailand

My dear Brother , if I have to you to scam you, May the WROGHT of GOD be upon me and my generation
ScammersRBad
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also have a visit to the sister site scamwarners.com They have some support for people who have been bitten by scams.
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Geezus!

We have seen this before (you'll see more cases over at scamwarners) and we are seeing more and more appearing in local papers.

The reason we are seeing in increase in these ads in local papers is simple. Once upon a time you had to call the paper or stop by the office to place an ad-obviously the scammers couldn't visit the office, and calling uses phone credits (plus the accent adds difficulty). However, more and more of these papers now have websites and allow classifieds to be placed online. That means they are easy access for scammers--and small local papers are less likely to research or question an ad.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting information, Dorothy. With so many people out of work these days, the fact scammers are utilizing the web to publish ads like this makes perfect sense - in a perverted kind of way. I just hate the way these parasites are able to exploit people when they are at their most vulnerable. Evil or Very Mad

As Vampiremerchant said, please don't feel bad, geezus. It would never have occurred to me that scammers are placing ads in local papers for normal jobs like the one you applied for and then running a check scam on the applicants. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"there is something fishery going on", "You people are all Junks", E. Kaba
"Go and face your dumb life", J. Mathin
"You are not well trained as a human being...", M. Tony
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
Lester
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to bait these guys all the time as a specialty but haven't since I let my box go about 2 years ago now as I didnt work on that part of town anymore and was hard to make the trek out that way.

But also many of the check senders are vics as well sending out on their own dime.

Very rarely did I ever get one from Africa or outside of the US/Canada.

$3,838,681.54 of fake checks taken off the street
Mortar x13 Tattoo x4 Sand Timer 4y 3m
_____
"Just open up and tell me the truth and stop tricking your dick." - Mr.Kofi Yousaof

"I'm a Muslim, Ok I'm a Christian, Mother F---. Get the F---- off my phone N-----, don't call me anymore." - A lad on the phone with "Homeland Security".
geezus419
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I appreciate the advice you all! I should have seen it coming. Thank christ I caught it tho. Anyone have any advice on how I can bait these guys. Obviously I got some learning to do so for now I'll leave it up to the 419eater pros. I will admit I would get a lot of satisfaction pulling off a bait like the ones I read here in the archives. classic. Laughing

thanks again.
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^
No reason you can't do it too! Very Happy Just don't try to bait the scammer who has your real life details. Set up a fake persona, a new free email account, grab a lad from the surplus forum and start having fun.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
MikeandLouise
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

geezus419 wrote:
Anyone have any advice on how I can bait these guys.

I am running a cheque scam bait now.
See my site (link below) and read through bait 24 for ideas.

There is another cheque scam bait too on there.

Closed lad accounts x7
Fake cheques collected = €3000, $2000, £4000

'Cheating is not in our blood as we Muslim’s besides it’s against Islamic law, it’s only Africa people that cheat'. - Mr. Saleem Al Farra

'What kind of game is this? I went to the bank this afternoon to cash out the Money, the cashier then told me that it was a fake payment. you make me look stupid right in front of responsible Men and Women'. - 0ke Edew0r
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic