SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I hate windows 7 dual boot

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Forced to upgrade to windows 7, I decided on a simple dual boot option.

To make it simple, i decided I would add a second HDD so no chance of accidently over-writing my ultra important xp.

The install only took 20 mins (which isnt too bad) but then it didnt even see it had windows XP as a bootable option, on the dual boot i could only see windows 7. And the pc booted straight into 7.

So that meant using a diff pc to manually get the bcdedit command lines for dual boot. (the os is new, it should have a simple "do you want to dual boot" many do!

So then back to xp
still no dual boot, but now i can start it in xp - so over to the boot.ini - windows 7 doesnt have one! so its in xp im talking about
i edit the line in the boot sequence

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 7 Ultimate" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Well it allows the dual boot menu now, however...
windows 7 wont start.

I could of saved myself a lot of time, and used windows 7 as default from when I BCD' edited, but prefer xp as default. (if i had chose bcd - windows 7 it would be working.)

Then i installed my antivirus, now i keep my keys locked away, windows 7 is weird when searching...

EDIT: as of 11am the next day its still not working.

im getting errors of ntldr missing (no its not)
i can boot to both if i disconnect the drives - pointless

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Obviously the W7 bootloader took over after you installed it. I've had the same situation after installing Vista beside XP.

My approach was starting Vista, download easyBCD here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1. It detected the XP partition, and it's easy to juggle around with the default OS. Should work for W7 as well.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic