SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

ISP Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Entomologist
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,
The following message has landed in my catcher acc.
Beware of it. I strongly believe it to be a scam.:

Quote:
DEAR INTERNET USER'S,

Internet Service Provider (ISP)

Due to the unusual number of invalid login attempts on you account, we had to believe that, there might be some security problems with your account as all internet users and our subsequent Notice of removal of all unused Accounts, Yahoo, AOL, hotmail, Gmail, etc would be shutting down all unused Accounts. ISPs may provide Internet e-mail accounts to users which allow them to communicate with one another by sending and receiving electronic messages through their ISP's servers. ISPs may protect services such as remotely storing data files on behalf of their customers, as well as other services unique to each particular ISP.

* See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).

Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.

On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.

Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.

* Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
* If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

You will have to reconfirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply bottom, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

Username:……………………….

Password:……………………………..

Date of Birth:…………………….

Country or Territory………………..

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before five working days of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Internet Service Provider - (ISP)

**** ISP NOTICE ****
The information in this e-mail (including attachments, if any) is considered confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail, delete this e-mail, and do not disclose its contents to anyone. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily Internet Service Provider (ISP). Thank you.
******************** DISCLAIMER END ***********************

It had me worried at first. IP places it from Lagos

Cheers

Sir, I do not send any money to me because i need it.
Let GOD judge me if this is a trick Sir, this is a trick
So if you are buying the Hubble Space telescope that cost 1,000usd.
mugu_eater
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ofcourse its a scam......who gone ask this???
Quote:
Username:……………………….

Password:……………………………..

edit. didnt see he asked you to do this AFTER hit the reply button...anyway i am sure that a comp expert member will tell us whats the clue about this.I think he make you change your settings in a way your computer is an open book for them.If thats the thing then this is a damn dangerous scam alot of people could walk in to.

Sand Timer mr Frank Bode

NOW I KNOW YOU ARE THE MOST STUPID ANIMAL THAT EVER EXIST ON EARTH. FB

ANYWAY THERES NO REASON TO WASTE MY PRECIOUS TIME WITH HE GOAT LIKE YOU..I KNOW ANIMAL LIKE YOU WOULD NOT KNOW SIMPLE COURTESY OF APOLOGY FOR WASTING A TIME OF A RESPONSIBLE BUSINESSMAN LIKE ME.
J0hns0n Prince K0fi
Aristocrat
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like a phishing one where they steal your email account and then try to con your address book into sending "you" money through WU.

Closed lad accounts x 19 Cellphone x 9

"HE ACTS AS A TREAT TO PEACEFUL EXISTANCE AND BUSINESS ENVIROMENT TO OUR COMPANY." - Pr1nce Aust1n
"It is quite unfortunate that your companies mode of operation is nothing to write home about."
"because of treat to peace and life as reported by Mr T0ny from Mr Anders0n" - Sandra J0nes

"i hate america w.u and money gramm" - Usm@n B3ll0's mini-rant

"TWO PEOPLE CANNOT BE FOOL ONCE" - Usm@n B3ll0
"YOU THINK I WANT TO EAT YOUR MONEY"
"who have no jub other than internet fraud"
"you are the greatest enemy i have in my life"
"am crasy at the moment"

"THEY ARE QUESTIONING ME NOW I HAVE BEEN ANSWERING QUESTION UPON QUESTINS" - S3c. Sh31ld User

"try to know what you will do very fast ok,"
Entomologist
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mugu E & Arist*, Smile
It is a very dangerous scam. I have reported it to fastmail webmaster. We are doing some checks as well. It really needs to be shut down quickly.

I don't know what else can be done yet.

Cheers

Sir, I do not send any money to me because i need it.
Let GOD judge me if this is a trick Sir, this is a trick
So if you are buying the Hubble Space telescope that cost 1,000usd.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only thing to be done with phishing is report it, as you have.

They aren't baitable.

Moving this to Misc.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

mugu_eater wrote:
i am sure that a comp expert member will tell us whats the clue about this.I think he make you change your settings in a way your computer is an open book for them.If thats the thing then this is a damn dangerous scam alot of people could walk in to.

It does absolutely nothing to make hacking easier, and that option is in fact usually enabled by default. Basically it asks your router or ISP for some settings (IP address, DNS server addresses, etc.) rather than making you remember what they are and enter them manually. It's completely harmless (but really shouldn't be messed with; if it's not set setting it may break your internet connection).

TLDR: It's only there to increase his credibility. The only real scam here is asking for the username/password.

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
robin meeblind
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
You will have to reconfirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply bottom, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

So they lock the account after 24 hours

Quote:

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before five working days of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

If you don't respond using the locked email account it will be deleted. How are you going to respond if they've locked the account?????

This is just to get access to the account, send emails to contacts (like help i'm stuck in a city and need money sent to me). The instruction will have no effect on most users unless they use a script to configure (and even then it's unlikely to have any major effect).

I am very surprised that you as a person could do all those things without knowing infact i am becoming very unpleased - 4uthur R1ch4rds
Cellphone Closed lad accounts x5
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The language and lack of professionalism of this phishing attempt place it squarely in Africa--if that's the case, the scammers either intend to send out the "help, I'm stranded" plea or they will use the boxes obtained for spamming their formats.

Interestingly, they did take it one step further with the date of birth question. With some email providers, DOB is the key info required to recover a password. This means that if the account owner realizes he has been scammed and changes the password, the scammer may be able to obtain the new password and regain access to the box.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic