SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Clever Scam - I Want to Garner Some Publicity For It

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bait It Up
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While perusing snopes.com, I came across this scam that I had never heard of. It sounds like it could be very successful at hotels that have lax security on incoming calls. http://www.snopes.com/fraud/phishing/hotel.asp

"17,000, usd is a chicken penny so fuck you off."

"Please don't write me anylonger because there's no reason for any more communication since you have messed everything up and i cannot continue to waste my time wtih a BASTARD like you. If you hadn't foolishly exposed your plan to that fellow fool of yours this problems wouldn't have arised so who are to blame I or You?"

"This is the reason why I get angry over you and call you names because you always peace me off.You will never listen to simple instruction"

Closed lad accounts X18 Easter Egg
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yikes! I could see people falling for it.

United Kingdom x3 Mc Fry Easter Egg 2011 Elite Ninja Team Member Sand Timer
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
x3 Safari : Femmy Bait w/Team Femmy
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's .. awful.

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!
gerald.fird
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

:yikes:

Safari Mrs. CHIPIWA MAZIVA - Johannesburg to Cape Town - 1800 miles round-trip

"IDIOT DEY FOOL YOURSELF........ YOU NON GET WORK DATS WHY U DE FIND FOLLOW UP..... ILLITERATE
TAKE MY ID MAKE U ADD ME

MAKE I SHOW U MY WEBMAIL... U WILL NO DAT AM NOT HUNGRY... HUNGER GO KILL UR GENERATION"
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it is good that this warning is now out there. I probably would have fallen for this too. But now it just reminds me to be that much more paranoid.

If I do find myself in a hotel and get such a call, I will at least have a little fun and say that I will be down at the front desk in 5 minutes to 'reconfirm' the digits on the card, and keep insisting that I will reconfirm in person only, just so I can hear the frustration on the other end. heehee. Twisted Evil

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I might be missing the point here but isn't snopes.com about stuff that isn't a scam? Stuff that is a "urban legend" etc.

Some ejit in my organisation did a global mail recently about the dangers of what information is held on hotel key cards and how this represented a security risk Rolling Eyes

30 seconds on Google would have given them the link to a load of information here

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Snopes publishes Internet rumours. If it didn't publish true claims (labelled as true), it would appear that Snopes hadn't heard of them.
This one isn't labelled, but the article does suggest that hotels won't put a call though if all the caller doesn't know the name of the person in a room.
The advice is good though. Never give your credit card details to someone who calls you.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to manage a hotel - we never rang up to a room with just a room number. Besides this scam, which has been around for a long time, there was always the issue of crank calls and psychos who had nothing better to do than harass hotel guests. Rolling Eyes

I have also patiently explained to some guests that they were idiots and there wasn't anything stored on a guest room key card that would compromise their identity.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Popiejopie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whether it's a rumour or urban legend or not, I can see how this would actually work for smaller hotels. I'm just hoping and assuming larger chains of hotels wouldn't allow this Smile

It's a phone-based variety of your bank sending you an email requesting your logon data for verification purposes..
ThankingArthur
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Heh I saw this on the British show "The Real Hustle" a while back

Link to vid of them apparently doing the scam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzO-fYva1Gw

Safari Morgan: Accra, Ghana to Lomé, Togo and Back. (~370km total) "it was hurt i paid hotel bills and also rented a car to pick Sarah up at the airport it was so hurt i spent money to go down to Lome"

12x Closed lad accounts Oink.

i promise you .you shall pay for this -Another satisfied customer
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If 'Reception' is having a problem verifying your card number, the onus is on them to identify themselves - in short get them to tell you the info you gave on check in (your address, maybe)...

The party that initiates the conversation bears the burden of proof, same with 'Hello this is your bank calling', etc.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic