SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Help, I was a potential scam victim

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
archbaiter
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi folks,

I realize there is another site for victims. I am not one, but I was possibly close to it.

I was selling a claymore sword on Facebook Marketplace for $150. Someone named "Dustin White" wrote me back with his interest, and I provided basic shipping information- I did NOT provide sensible account information (like the routing number).

I did deposit the check, however I became aware the next day that yep, I was in the process of being scammed. So, thankfully because the check was purportedly drawn from Canada, there was a nine day hold. The bank withdrew the check.

Is my bank account in any sort of threat? Have scammers found a way to get your sensible bank information by just you depositing a scam check?

Thanks. By the way, I will share my scambaiting response later. Smile
archbaiter
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The check for for $3500. First sign I should have known it was a fraud. Unfortunately, my senses weren't with me for a while, as I thought surely it must cost a lot to ship a huge sword, cover the cost of transborder shipping, and insurance on the sword.

But, then he said take out an amount for yourself and ship the rest back to me through............Western Union
luckey

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Archbaiter,

I think you're probably fine. As far as I know, there is no way they can compromise your account by having you deposit a check. If the check is bad, they'll never see it again.

I doubt very much they were interested in getting your sword. Usually, the check is for more than you were asking and they want you to wire the difference back to them, or on to their "shipping company" or some other such nonsense. They may also decide to cancel the purchase after you have deposited the check and ask you to Western Union the money back to them.

Regarding your bank, they won't be happy that the check you deposited is fake, but if you let them know what happened they will probably be reasonable. If it happens too many times, your account will probably be frozen and you will be held liable for the money if the funds in your account will not cover the reversal.

Edit: you were making your second post as I was typing. Yes, 100% scam. I'm glad you spotted it.

Nap Olean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is the typical fake cheque scam. As you said, they send a cheque for more than the required amount and ask you to Western Union the difference.

Normally the fakes are of high enough quality that they will initially clear your bank and make the funds available to you. Unfortunately a few weeks later, it would have come back and you would have been left holding the bag.

Your account shouldn't be at risk, as long as you didn't provide any account details to the scammer.

Fake banks Waterlooed: x54 United Kingdom Netherlands Spain United States South Africa Canada Ghana Bahamas, The Nigeria Switzerland Italy Ivory Coast Serbia and Montenegro Belgium Australia Denmark Safari x4 Mortar x25 Closed lad accounts x4 Goat Easter Egg 2011
Alex Van Dijk: DEAR ASSHOLE, YOU SAID YOU SENT MONEY TO VAN DIJK BUT YOUR LITTLE BRAIN THAT HAS MADE YOU A STUPID MAN DOES NOT CALCULATE WELL . I STARTED REACHING YOU ARROUND FEBRUARY AND YOU SAID YOU SENT MONEY ON THE 25TH OF JANUARY. DONT U SEE THAT YOU ARE TOO DULL FOR THE FAST GAME YOU INTENDED PLAYING ASS HOLE F*** YA MAMA S PUSSYYYYYYYYYYYY HOOOOOOOO.
archbaiter
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought that was the case. Thanks fellas.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic