SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I Got a Scam Letter in the Mail

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought these guys quit mailing letters in favor of email years ago. but, I got a romance scam letter from Ghana yesterday.

At first, I didn't know what it was, so I opened it out of curiosity and discovered a form letter, along with two photos. I admit that I was taken by surprise, given what I thought I knew about scammers' preference for email.

A phone number is included, along with an address, so I can call them.

What surprised and alarmed me the most was the fact that my full name, including middle initial, along with a mostly accurate postal address was on the letter. I assumed that they got this by hacking some computer system somewhere.

My credit rating is in the toilet these days, so I doubt they could get a credit card from anyone using my name.

But, now I am left to wonder what I should do with this letter?

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd drop it, best not to get yourself caught up with the lads, focus on using fake accounts for baiting.

Safari Franklin, Accra Ghana-Kpalime Togo
2 X United Kingdom

3 X Closed lad accounts

Haud Misericordia
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi gonzo4life! Wink

Do the sticky and have the safe. Very Happy

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DO NOT bait him! Unless you use a proxy with a fake email, this lad is definitely NOT SAFE to bait.

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
Technomancer
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, I'm curious about this one...

Haven't had the chance to match wits with a tech-savvy lad yet Wink

-------------------------------------------------------
I went to the Mr Biggs' drive-in...
Nurse Nastys Audi TT And all I got was this lousy Easter Egg with fries! Easter Egg Mc Fry

Closed lad accounts x1
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Technomancer wrote:
Hmm, I'm curious about this one...

Haven't had the chance to match wits with a tech-savvy lad yet Wink

I can PM you the contact info provided. But, it may be difficult if they have the recipients names on-file somewhere and your name doesn't match-up.

419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gonzo4life wrote:
What surprised and alarmed me the most was the fact that my full name, including middle initial, along with a mostly accurate postal address was on the letter. I assumed that they got this by hacking some computer system somewhere.

You know I seem to remember this large yellow book that contained your full name, phone number and address. Hum... hacking seems more likely though.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
BobCat
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you can drop that off at your local post office and let the postal inspectors handle it.

They may not do anything but it is better than just round-filing the letter.

" I THINK WE HAVE TO PUT END TO THIS GAME,AND REASON WHY I SAID THIS IS BECAUSE I CAN NOT CONTINUE WITH GOING TO WESTERN UNION" Dr Bens0n
"DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKE TO GET A MAGA IS NOT EASY MAN, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE CAUSE ME FOR TWO WEEKS NOW I CAN PAY MY HOUSE RENT THEY ARE ABOUT TO SEND MY FAMILY OUT OF THE HOUSE WE LIVE" Dr @d3kun13 Bens0n
"I THOUGHT I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU WANTED WHY ARE YOU STRESSING US OUT." - Mu$@ H0us3

Closed lad accounts x 24 United Kingdom x1 Cellphone x2
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ghost wrote:
gonzo4life wrote:

You know I seem to remember this large yellow book that contained your full name, phone number and address. Hum... hacking seems more likely though.

I have always had an unlisted number.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They may as well have bought your address from an address broker. All you need to do is enter a prize draw once or get some kind (any kind) of supermarket loyalty card and any piece of information they collect about you will eventually make its way into one of those huge data warehouses where it's categorised and sold on. There's a tidy profit to be made with that information.

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you tried googling the scammers details?

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
partysan
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Your post is the 2nd in this week I have seen about mailed scam letters.
Maybe a database was empty'd and the mailings are payed with stolen CC.
Could be an postal-investigation-dept is interested.

Last edited by partysansky on Wed Jul 01, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

btw - since I use this signature - my reputation went from 1.2 to 0.7
(.. seen as a joker ?)
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ If you are not in the phone book and have BT system for avoiding those databases you may feel safe, BUT in UK there is somethimng called the electoral register!

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Rincewind
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gonzo4life wrote:
Ghost wrote:
gonzo4life wrote:

I have always had an unlisted number.

I remember some years ago, (perhaps about 10) that PC Format had a free UK Directory disk that had the details on, names, residential addresses, phone numbers etc. Mine was on there, even though I'm also ex-directory/unlisted

I think it's rather quaint that they are reverting back to the personal touch with snail mail! I suppose you could put it back in the post box with "Return to Sender - No Longer Known At This Address"

I am not in Nigeria and what your son is saying is not wrong. Sometimes the internet providers have a problem with the positioning of the satelite and it reads Africa, or America and sometime it reads japan all depending on the satelite positioning to get better service. - Cardinal Angelo Sodano 41.222.192.102 (Benin-Africa)
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I think that may not be used any more. About that time or earlier I signed up for the preference thing that was to keep my details off the databases, you can imagine I was not besty pleased to miss a call from a number that BT had no lisiting for!

Called them and found their records were not up to date, is worth getting onto them and making sure ones name etc are not included on databases. The number that called me they say could be an outgoing only sales number Evil or Very Mad

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Technomancer
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can get your name removed from the UK electoral register these days. At least the version of it that marketing companies and so on can buy copies of.
Then again the people who kept old copies of it probably keep recycling that information anyway, so chances are your details are still lurking around out there somewhere for anyone who knows where to look. Not to mention other ways of getting hold of information about you.
Personal privacy is almost dead here, and every day the government takes one more step towards killing it off completely. Only a matter of time before our lives are easily accessible to anyone who knows the right people in the right places...

@gonzo4life
I'm not sure if they do have your details filed somewhere. If so, there's the risk that if I get them ticked off enough, they might assume it was you using a fake name.
Best to let that one go I think. Could maybe pass it on to the police, but likely they'd just shrug their shoulders and toss it in the bin.
If they send one to me personally though, I might see what I can get from it.

Nurse Nastys Audi TT And all I got was this lousy Easter Egg with fries! Easter Egg Mc Fry

Closed lad accounts x1
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr Tambourine Man wrote:
Have you tried googling the scammers details?

Yes, that was the first thing I did. I found a page on Facebook with the same name. The pictures look the same, but that doesn't mean anything since the scammer could have stolen the pictures from her somehow.

The scammer seems to have listed themselves on a Pen Pals wanted site. The address is close to the one I have, though not exact.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gonzo4life wrote:
The scammer seems to have listed themselves on a Pen Pals wanted site. The address is close to the one I have, though not exact.

Hmm, one of my characters is looking for a pen pal... Rolling Eyes
Where's the site?

Closed lad accounts x1
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic