SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

craigslist possible scam? first time user help please

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
markvo4
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

IS THIS STILL FOR SALE ? ----His reply to craigslist ad for china for sale in [email protected]--on 1/27/2010

yes it is martin call me at 214-695-38xx----My response--1/30/2010

[email protected]----His reply--on--Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:19 AM
Hi,
I'm glad that you still got it. I'm presently on vacation but I will ask my assistant to prepare and mail your payment. And I am sure you will receive it in the next 3 - 5 business days. I will add $50 extra for you to keep it in my favour and also for the delay. I will pay you with Cashier Cheque. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e your full NAME to cash Cashier Cheque and ADDRESS for the payment and also a contact NUMBER. Arrangement for pick-up will be after you must have received and cashed the Cashier Cheque
Awaiting your info
Thanks.

My reply ---on---Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Martin, Thank you for your interest and reply about the china, a U.S. Postal Money Order is more acceptable. Please feel free to call me at
214-695-38xx
my mailing address is Mark xxxxer, xx11 xxmxx Circle Dallas, TX xx228....I would be more comfortable delivering the china and receiving payment at that time please call immediately when you receive this e-mail as I am in the processes of the sale of my mothers house

his reply
Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM

subjectRe: 12 place setting-Royal Jackson China - $500 (Buckner &I-30)
mailed-bygooglemail.com
signed-bygmail.com

hide details 4:55 AM (11 hours ago)

I am on business vacation to London so i have asked my assistant to prepare and mail out your payment immediately,Let me know when it has been recieved and cashed by you so that pickup arrangement can commence.
Thanks.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, it's a classic over-payment scam. You may want to wander over to our sister site http://www.scamwarners.com and you'll see all kinds of helpful information regarding this and other scams.

EDIT: See here: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1925&p=20563&hilit=craigslist#p20563

Soon, he will send the check, which will be an overpayment (probably for more than just the $50 he mentioned) and ask you to cash the check (which your bank may do) and then wire some portion of it either to his business associate or possibly the shipping company (notice how he says that arrangement for pick-up will be made after you cash it). He gets the profit, you get hit by your bank for cashing a bad check.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
auguste
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Possible a bad cheque. I'm not totally sure though.

Does it seem like the buyer knows what he is buying ?
What is the item he is buying ? (what price is it ?)
The email adress is extremly shoddy. What bussiness owner with an assistant uses a gmail adress with numbers in it ? If you can afford an assistant , you probably have a company email adress. Or at least a more imaginative gmail adress.
His english skills are also... pretty bad.

r2d2
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

auguste wrote:
Possible a bad cheque. I'm not totally sure though

it will definitely be a bad cheque.

the scam relies on the fact that most people don't know how the banking system works.
the victim gives the cheque to the bank, and after 3 days the bank says that the cheque has cleared.
this does not mean the cheque is good, simply that no problem has been found so far.
however, the victim's account will be credited and the scammer will press for money to be sent by w.u.
- most victims will go along with that if they have got to this stage.

but eventually the bank will declare the cheque is bad, and they will deduct the amount from the victim's account.
the victim has then lost all money that was w.u.ed - he/she cannot recover it.

Jayhawk
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To add to what others have said, yes it is a scam. It's a classic Craigslist overpayment scam. A check will be sent, oops, the secreatary screwed up and wrote it for more than the amount, and would you please deposit the check and Western Union him the difference.

When you deposit a check, the bank must, by law, make the funds available to you anywhere from immediately to five days, depending on the amount of the check. This does NOT mean that the check has cleared. In many cases, especially with instruments written on foreign accounts, it can take weeks or even months for the check to be returned as bad. And make no mistake about it, the check is bad.

So let's say that you didn't visit our wonderful site, you don't know this is a scam, and you cash the check and send him the money. You will soon have two problems on your hands:

- The check will bounce, your account is probably in the red, and the bank will want you to make a deposit (which you probably don't have) to bring the account good.

- You could very well be facing legal issues for acting as a check mule.

These bastages are really nasty. It's good that something rang a bell with you and you caught it. Send the scammer an email telling him that you have sold the item, and stop all communication with him. He has your real life information.

edit to add - Anytime you are buying/selling something on Craigslist I would STRONGLY recommend that you only deal locally, and only deal in cash. Craigslist provides a nice service, but it is also scammer haven. I could go down to the dump, take a picture of the grubbiest, nastiest couch they have, put it for sale on Craigslist for $2,000, and I would have offers like you just described from scammers. I'm not a big fan of Craigslist, but if you do use them deal locally and in cash.

Yes pets are allowed as far as you will occupy the apartment alone, you can release the Kraken.

i will kill you even if it take me to go to jail i will do that because i hate you with all my life....
assisin killer to Feathers McGraw
PLEASE I BEG YOU TO LET ME KNOW THAT PIGGIES OF YOURS PLEASE... assisin killer to Feathers again
Vcamera x5 Safari Team Humphere
Long Live Silver Peak Orphanage! - Loan Lad Langwenya Andile
bunnyinthebox
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just joined because I wanted to say thank you - I am glad that I found this page! I received a response to an advert I recently posted on Craigslist regarding a grill I have for sale. Whilst my initial reaction was only that the grammar seemed a bit 'off', my husband was a lot more suspicious of the email. Anyway, I googled the senders email address and ended up here. I received virtually the same responses as the person above (from a Martin Wood):

-still for sale ?

then:

- Hi,
I'm glad that you still got it. I'm presently on vacation but I will ask my assistant to prepare and mail your payment. And I am sure you will receive it in the next 3 - 7 business days. I will add $30 extra for you to keep it in my favour and also for the delay. I will pay you with Money Order. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e your full NAME to cash money order and ADDRESS for the payment and also a contact NUMBER. Arrangement for pick-up will be after you must have received and cashed the Money Order.
Awaiting your info
Thanks.

I am glad now that I did not reply. Thanks again for alerting me to this. I hope it can help somebody else too!
Seamless
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi bunnyinthebox

Welcome to 419Eater Glad you found us. Take a look around and stay awhile.

"You are a destinated Idiot. a fibol element, a rebel against humanity.

You are a goat. And very stupid. I will deal with you very soon, just wait, I have all your contact address, and I will trace you very soon, for insulting me, all evidence of your insult to me has been filed.

Lawyer M4nu3l told me that you could be one of this terrorist in the usa. and I later find out on my research on you, that you are one of the bastards in wherever you are. not even in usa."

Closed lad accounts

Safari< S4NI S4LISU Ghana to Togo
Safari< St3lla J0nta Cote d'Ivoire to Ghana
Easter Egg Whip Penguin Mortar Purple Flower Purple Flower Killer Baiter
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic