SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Old British Coins

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In a previous life I spent a few months in the UK (late 70s). A few days ago I was going through some old possessions to see what I can throw out. I came across a stash of some coins I brought back and forgot about. Some are old 1 and 2 shilling pieces that were vestiges of the system before the UK converted to the decimal system. Most of these have the Queen's profile, but some show King George VI on the front.

Are these still in circulation? Are they worth anything beyond their face value? Maybe I can mail them to a lad to cover documentation fees, taxes, storage charges, etc?

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
HitchHiker
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sadly they are not still in circulation.
Unless they are a particularly rare coin they are worthless.

Have a look at this site

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html

you bloody nigeria scammer you scamm me of 6,800pounds : Billy a cheque scammer.
Closed lad accounts x? Easter EggMortar x2
Ninja Bloody hell I've been ninja'd
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to help 419Eater.com fight the good fight]</a>
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Worth nowt.
If you had a couple of trunks full, that would be a different story...

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Got any thrupenny bits in there?

Maybe an old tanner or half a crown....?

How about a farthing?

Smile
Star A Star
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

or if you come across any 20p pieces with no date then I suggest you declutter, I'll help if you like, just send it/them to me Wink

i am tired of all these rusbish, i am waisiting my time andf mone
Ok i will try and take the form to my staff members, once i get the form filled, i am not ready to fill another form, make sure that this is all the forms, i am going to fill them and once i get them done, i will not fill another form
If you see how i was insulted in the western union office, you will pitty me - nope you're wrong there pal
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And the legendary 1933 penny. Only seven or eight were minted that year. One is in a museum, four are propping up foundations in churches for some reason, and two are privately owned. It was rumoured that there is still one floating around somewhere. You could live very well if you were to find it and offer the thing for sale.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Now that is a great story, right now I'm fighting the impulse to go and empty my kids money boxes of all their pennies...

pony
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Hitchhiker: Thanks for the link. I ended reading more about British coinage than I ever imagined. Interesting stuff. I noted that the UK went to capronickel after WW2, which means that I can't even have them melted down for the silver.

@N N N: No thrupenny bits, half crowns, or farthings. But I did run across a sixpence or two.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
spot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If any of those coins are silver in colour and pre 1947 then there is a market for them because they do have a silver content.

Check out e-bay to find how much they are fetching at the moment.

Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I still have some predecimal coins around.
They were mostly given to me as pocket money.
I take great care of them as my granny always said if I looked after my thrupenny bits when I was young that I would be grateful in later years.
limburger
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

All this talk of coins made me go and look for a box of coins I have with a British one in there. Found it--a 1955 2 shilling. Nice looking coin.

I looked up its value and Hitchhiker was right. Basically worthless unless you have a perfect uncirculated version in which case it's worth a whopping 3 pounds.

so your job is to hack some body job you go die and you must run mad in this country all generation will go to hell fire i must get you and i will troll way you inside beach idiot as you hack my money and you crate email dey write richard as you do it i will spoil the job . idot --Steve F
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Nanny Ogg, you're right loosing your thrupenny bits at any time isn't nice, especially for a woman!

My gran always told me to keep me hand on me ha'penny .... Embarassed
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

N N N wrote:
@ Nanny Ogg, you're right loosing your thrupenny bits at any time isn't nice, especially for a woman!

My gran always told me to keep me hand on me ha'penny .... Embarassed

You aren't Scottish by any chance? (No slur intended. My greatx3 grandfather left Glasgow in 1810 and I have his surname).

Sand Timer Father Frank

Dya Reyarunen-Downmeleg
** REMEMBERED **

Location: At the toilet door yelling are you almost done in there? Oops, too late...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
My dad emigrated to Winnipeg, Canada from Inverness, in 1957. All of that side of the family are scattered around Scotland.

Closed lad accounts x163 Easter Egg 2011 Easter Egg Easter Egg 2013 Goat Goat Goat Golden Goat Mc Fry Purple Flower Mortar Elite Ninja Team Member

so as to enable the conclusion of this transaction on your behalf since you are not dead because if you are dead you would not have write me because I know that never will a dead
write to living...
I could receive the document official which you want to forward me for adhesion with TW@T
I am captivated, impressed and hypnotised with your sincerity
This you’re TW@T has it existed some how somewhere before?
Your ASSCODE is: 999-035-2655

"I Am Not a Justin Beiber Fan" innocent.being

Steward, WTF?

SAY NO TO SCURVY
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Clean them up and give them to a kid (or three) who collects coins.

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Good idea. I counted them up and I have £2.365. I don't think that would get me a Big Mac in London. Sad

Sand Timer Father Frank

spot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You mentioned a "Big Mac"

Unfortunately MacDonald's don't seem to know about UK pre-decimal terminology.

They seem to that that "a bob" is the slang term for a £pound.

Quote:
The [MacDonald's] advert, which promotes the Pound Saver Menu, begins "the pound, also known as a bob", a statement which, strictly speaking, is not true.

Technically, a bob is a term for a shilling, or five pence, and of far less value than a pound.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100124/tuk-mcdonald-s-pounded-over-bob-menu-adv-45dbed5.html

The Americans are getting the blame .... however...

MacDonald's spokesperon wrote:
"Although a 'bob' was formerly used as a slang term for the shilling until the introduction of decimalisation in 1971, research has shown it is now more commonly used as slang for a pound or money in general.

Not where I come from !

Suicide King
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If they blame the US we have a diffrent term its used for and its not a pound or anything like a form of money. In the US bob is slang for Battery opperated Boyfriend.. But British slang is the cause of one of your soldier boys haveing his ass handed to him when he asked me for a fag.. After the fight I found out me ment a cigarette, and gave him one.
Tim
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^I heard fag used as a term for cigarette during my high school days. It also had the other meaning back then.

I used the Big Mac as an example because there is a Big Mac index that is used (tongue-in-cheek) to measure buying power throughout the world. See http://www.oanda.com/currency/big-mac-index. I still may have enough for a Big Mac in London, but I can't add fries or even a soft drink. Sad

If somebody decided that a bob is a pound, what is a quid now? Confused

Sand Timer Father Frank

spot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lakeside77 wrote:
what is a quid now? Confused

six quid is just about the same as 'one ill octopus' ... does that help ?

lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rolling Eyes

Yes . . . after a bit of reflection. If I owed you six quid would you accept a clammy octopus?

Sand Timer Father Frank

N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lakeside77 wrote:
You aren't Scottish by any chance.

My great great (maternal) grandfather came from Kilmarnock and his surname was McPike apparantly, so yes there's whiskey in my veins and dust in my pockets! Laughing

BTW - "thrupenny bits" as used by Nanny Ogg and myself is cockney rhyming slang ... and I doubt either of us have even heard the sound of the bells of Bow.
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Start paying your lads in old money. Tell them you were in a 'comma' for 40 years and that is the only currency you have since you woke up, because you couldn't get to the bank in February 1971 and change it when we went decimal.

It'll be fun seeing them try and covert dollars into old pounds, shillings and pence. Very Happy

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Greetings Friend!

I am Dr. John Watson, a British Soldier serving in Afghanistan...

Smile

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic