SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Oldster from the telemarketer ages

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
oldmom53
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Remember getting all those telemarketer calls when they just WOULDN'T take a breath to let you tell them you were'nt interested? I found a sure way to waste their time by handing the phone to my then-2-year-old who loved to talk to ANYONE on the phone. They stayed on with her for at least 5 minutes asking her to "put your Mommy back on the phone" while she babbled at them. Figured if I was keeping them from calling some other gullible person, we were just doing our civic duty :}
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater oldmom53. I'm probably not as old as you are referring to, but telemarketers still don't let you get much of a say in still today. Exclamation

However, while they are annoying, telemarketers are not quite the same as what we deal with in here as the people we deal with are scammers, but I'm sure you realize that. Very Happy

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
oldmom53
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm older, but still peeved at the lenghts these crooks will go to to part you from your money. Good to see that the next generation is keeping watch! I've received emails and faxes at work similar to the scammers you describe. I work at a PUBLIC SCHOOL! and have received them on our fax. They've been reported to our state Attorney General via fax and have subsided significantly. We need to keep our local Legislature advised of these fools and, hopefully, let them know that not all fools are old fools!
Dya Reyarunen-Downmeleg
** REMEMBERED **

Location: At the toilet door yelling are you almost done in there? Oops, too late...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater Oldmom53!
I did the same trick of giving the phone to my children with telemarketing calls. My son developed some great lines at a very young age such as "I have to go there's diarrhoea running down my leg".
Recently I came home to find my 14 year old son on the phone with a telemarketer. When he finally ended the call I was astonished and extremely proud to learn that he had kept the person on the phone for an hour and 45 minutes!
Happy baiting!

Closed lad accounts x163 Easter Egg 2011 Easter Egg Easter Egg 2013 Goat Goat Goat Golden Goat Mc Fry Purple Flower Mortar Elite Ninja Team Member

so as to enable the conclusion of this transaction on your behalf since you are not dead because if you are dead you would not have write me because I know that never will a dead
write to living...
I could receive the document official which you want to forward me for adhesion with TW@T
I am captivated, impressed and hypnotised with your sincerity
This you’re TW@T has it existed some how somewhere before?
Your ASSCODE is: 999-035-2655

"I Am Not a Justin Beiber Fan" innocent.being

Steward, WTF?

SAY NO TO SCURVY
Jammy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Oldmom!

I've found it very effective to say "Hold on a second" and just put the phone down and walk away from it. Smile

Published Bait: The Miseducation of Chief Mrs Watusi FBI Mrs
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Telemarketers always call me on my cellphone, which incurs a minimum 25c charge just for answering.

In the old days, I'd just yell obscenities at them involving all corners of the holy triad (homosexuality, incest and bestiality) before hanging up, but now I can't even do that since they call with automated messages.

Ahhhhh

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I do get telemarketing calls (doesn't happen much anymore, for some reason - I haven't gotten to do this in months) I like to answer them in foreign languages (my favorite is a broken mix of French, German, and random gibberish). They get rather confused Very Happy

Also, telemarketers are spammers that want your money, which is close enough to scamming for me to approve of any wasting of their time. Wink

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
Tyr Yuanoowon
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know about you guys, but people that get their calls make it awfully complicated. All you really have to do is tell them you do not want them to call back and that you are not interested. When they know that, they will not call you back because they will know that it's a waste of time. Do not let them get a word in, just tell them "Not interested, please do not call back."

Now, there are obviously a lot of scammers and such, but most of the time this works because they don't want to waste their time calling you back

When you start making excuses or such, that gives them a reason to call back.

Don't make it harder on yourself Razz

U SACK OF WINE-western western

Closed lad accounts x7
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ But that's no fun and doesn't really waste much of their time Wink

Telemarketing is evil, to a lesser degree than scamming but still evil. If I want to buy something from you I am fully capable of buying it myself; you do not need to call me repeatedly to ask if I want to buy it. Therefore they deserve to be screwed with Very Happy

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8 Very Happy

Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
I loved that call, it cracks me up each time!

foo123 wrote:
^^ But that's no fun and doesn't really waste much of their time Wink

Telemarketing is evil, to a lesser degree than scamming but still evil. If I want to buy something from you I am fully capable of buying it myself; you do not need to call me repeatedly to ask if I want to buy it. Therefore they deserve to be screwed with Very Happy

You're right, I was just saying another quicker way to get them to usually stop. Telemarketing was once legitimate but now it's almost always scamming or just general BS.

U SACK OF WINE-western western

Closed lad accounts x7
St. Aloysius
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We used to give the phone to our kids, or I'd just put it down with the television on, come back a couple minutes later, pick up and here them say my name, answer yes, and they'd start talking again, then walk off...rinse and repeat...
the vampire
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome here oldmom53. Very Happy
My old mom is allso pretty good with telemarketers. She says she's old and doesn't understand and asks them to call back when her son is home. Doesn't matter if i happen to be there or not.

I'm always right! - Branwen
GoatEaster Egg Penguin Pole Dancer Purple Flower Mc Fry
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pastor Frank wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8 Very Happy

That man is my hero! Laughing

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I must admit I'm quite fond of the telemarketing counter-script myself... you learn a lot about the people calling you. Very Happy

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I signed up for the Do Not Call list, and my telemarketing calls went down, but didn't disappear. Local telemarketers don't seem to consult the list - they seem to figure that if you're in the phone book, you are asking for telemarketing calls. And the truly scammish ones don't care about the DNC list. In fact, once when one of those "auto warranty" scammers called, I said, "I'm on the Do Not Call list." She said, "Whatever," and hung up.

I usually just say, "I'm not interested" (if it's a live call) and hang up - right in the middle of their opening spiel. There's no need to be polite and wait for a break in their talk. After all, they interrupted me by calling, the least I can do is return the favor. Wink

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oldmom53 wrote:
I work at a PUBLIC SCHOOL! and have received them on our fax. They've been reported to our state Attorney General via fax and have subsided significantly. We need to keep our local Legislature advised of these fools and, hopefully, let them know that not all fools are old fools!

Unsolicited fax's are a violation of federal law. You can sue the sender for damages in US Court (see http://www.keytlaw.com/faxes/tcpa.htm)

I have a cousin in Canada where unsolicited fax's are still legal (or were a few years ago). She said her office had twelve sheets of pitch black paper that they would fax back to the senders at the end of the day. After the senders' fax toner was depleted a few times the junk would stop coming. Twisted Evil

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Haban1336
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually there is one better - if you have one of these older fax machines you only need 3 black sheets and some tape. First - tape the 3 sheets together, so they are making one long sheet of paper. Now start sending this long sheet, until the sending is on middle of second page. Now, tape both ends with tape... voila - endless black fax of death.

Of course, I cannot be blamed if your fax machine is damaged by the tape or something...

Actually it's much easier with the computerized fax systems... Once a company responcible for the support of one of the Unix servers didn't want to answer a simple question, before receiving the logs... Simple enough, all "messages" was transferred to their fax number... The guy called and said that their secretary is hysteric - and I've sent only 35-40 pages of text Evil or Very Mad

sunshine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like to reply to them in chinese... a language I cannot actually speak Smile

I have explain this whole process to you so many times over and over again. - Spencer
Safari Praveen - Hanuman Junction - Hyderabad x2
Safari Bola - Accra - Cotonou Safari Alex - Accra - Abidjan Safari Austin - Accra - Abidjan
Safari George - Accra - Cotonou - Lome - Niamtougou Safari Toks London - Milford Haven
pony pony pony Mortar Closed lad accounts x170 Czech Republic Easter Egg 2011 Sand Timer Engineer Cooke vs. Temeraire x8
mendacity
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There was an episode of Seinfeld once where Jerry was called by a telemarketer asking if he'd like a subscription to the New York Times. He simply replied "Yes!" and then hung up.

Now, I'm not sure if that would work on today's contemporary telemarketers, as I have a slight suspicion that they'd probably think you were serious and then keep calling back. But it would be awesome if it did work. I've always wanted to try it, but have this paranoia that I'd be inundated by even more calls. But I would certainly laugh out loud at anyone who did that while I happened to be sitting in their kitchen having an important social tea party with them.
CongoGorilla
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I share a large home with 5 other roomates. One of the most fun things was that when almost all of us was home we got a telemarketer call. We each chatted merrily with the telemarketer and said a lot of uh huhs... and yeah... and yes how interesting... then ended our call by saying.. well no I dont think that is something I would like but you might want to talk to my roomate Dave... who then did the same and then passed it to my other roomate Ralph etc etc etc. The poor woman was worn out by the end of it I think.

The other one is great because I simply like to put the phone near my computer as I type and work away while the hapless telemarketer blabs on endlessly all the while hearing me type and move around in my chair etc. And for some miraculous reason when I pick up the phone after about 3 minutes they arent on the line anymore... hmmm...

Also why not be nice and intimate with your telemarketer friend and take them into the bathroom to listen to multiple flushes of the toilet and keep saying oh.. I am sorry I didnt hear that... and flush and again.. and again and again...
Pisspot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A couple of years ago I had a cold call that started quite quickly with the statement that they could save me money on my car insurance. I think they were a little surprised when I responded "Oh could you ?"

They then had to ask me where I lived - they phoned me and don't know from my number where I live (from the area code). Then the sort/make/model/engine of the car and my age etc. which I expected. And lastly how much I was currently paying. I was truthful in all these things. Things then went quiet for a few seconds.

A rather hesitant voice then sheepishly admitted that they couldn't beat my current insurer.

So I wonder about all the pushy car insurance advertising going on recently.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic