SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New scam, but not ready to bait yet

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
secdev
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forums here, but I have been lurking a while and interested in baiting ever since a lady I know fell victim to a romance scam.

I just received a message from a valid email address of a lady whom I had worked with a few years ago. I'm sure her email account has been hacked, and I've left her a voice mail letting her know what has happened. I've been thinking about baiting a lot lately, but don't think I have the time available to devote to it. Maybe someone here would like to take it!

It is a typical "I'm stranded, please send money" scam. I've checked the headers, and the originating IP is from Africa. I can post the full details of the message here, but I wasn't sure exactly what to obfuscate to prevent the lad from finding it.
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Your friend may have fallen for a phishing scam and the perps sent out the Help-Me-I'm-Stranded emails to everybody in the address book. Did your friend notice that her password stopped working? They usually change them.

You can post the message on the Surplus 419 Scam Letters forum and somebody can pick up on it.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
secdev
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't heard back from her. I'm guessing that they have changed her password but in my voice mail, I recommended that she change it ASAP if possible.

Thanks for the tip... I'll post it in the surplus forum.
Jammy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Lakeside

I particularly loathe this type of scam. It's a deeply personal violation of the victim whose email account has been compromised, and it's a violation of her whole social network as well. It abuses her relations with all her family members, friends, ex-friends, business associates, etc, often creating real personal and professional turmoil for a victim even if the scammer never sees a cent. All the scammers we bait are evil, but this particular type of scammer seems especially evil to me. Evil or Very Mad

That said, I would feel uncomfortable baiting such a scammer, since the real victim's personal details are already in the scammer's hands. If I'm successful in my bait, and I have cost the scammer a whole lot of time, resources, dignity, and pride, he has an innocent victim he can vent his rage on.

Published Bait: The Miseducation of Chief Mrs Watusi FBI Mrs
Hawkeyewon
419Eater is my life

Location: between Rocky and Bullwinkle, but closer to Bob Clampett! ;^)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Take your time, well, take their time... scambaiting is a cat & mouse game to me... but I have a T-shirt to prove it works. Gotta love swag!

or maybe like a beagle and a chipmunk...

"I don't have transportation, I only have a car
I will be able to manage a truck if I have one."
"know it's me that's on my knees swallowing"
www.scammers-exposed.com
www.romancescam.com
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't recommend posting this for others to bait. It's your friends account. She needs to change her password and let everyone in her contact list know her email account was compromised, she isn't stranded, and doesn't need any money. Also, posting her addy to be baited might land her on someone's insult list. A few weeks from now some baiter will write to her telling her she is just a small boy who will never make any money. That might be confusing for her.

More than likely her account was phished. This means she was tricked into providing her password to the lad.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Bolleboos
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now if you had the original phishing email that your friend fell for (One supposedly from her ISP or mail provider, saying that for reasons of 'maintenance/security/...' she needs to give some personal information including password, or that sends her to a web site where she had to enter said information 'to verify it') then we could setup an account with a bunch of baiters as contacts in it, and give that one up to the phisher. Then it would be totally unrelated to any real person.

Miss Ariana Hani: "it seem your balls contains up to 6 eggs that i should destroy with a baseball stick and weep your spinal code so you die"
Mandaline Randy: "i gave you my heart body mind and soul but you did not value it imagine if you were me how would you feel beby its pain ful i was just rooming in the money gram as if am a mad girl while you knows my condition its unfear"
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ secdev

Your friend needs to get hold of the abuse department for her email provider and inform them as to what has happened. If she has a copy of the phishing mail, she should send them that also.

Hopefully, they will be able to retrieve her account for her. Then, my advice is that she opens a new account, transfers anything she needs to that and dumps the compromised account after wiping it clean. The reason for dumping it is that she has already proven herself a mark to the lads and they will probably continue to target her, even if she gets her password back.

Once the account is dumped, give it a couple of months and bait the lad with extreme prejudice.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
secdev
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info guys. Since the lad could link any baits back to her, and possibly cause her more trouble, I've decided not to post the details of the scam here. If she gives me any info on the how they might have gained access to her account (phishing link, etc), I'll see if I can target this guy further.

Normally all scams are picked up by my spam filters, but one did happen to slip through today (African AFF scam), he put a phone # in the message, as well as a yahoo reply address, so maybe I'll mess with the guy a bit Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic