SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Fake "World Conference" -- re Geisinger Medical

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Diana Prince
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Geisinger Medical Center is a real and well-regarded hospital/research center in northeastern Pennsylvania, USA.
Its CEO really is named Glenn Steele.
The remaining "information" in an invitation to an upcoming "World Conference on Global Economy and Human Welfare" in January
is evidently yet another version of previously-reported scams.

The story was published several days ago in the Press Enterprise newspaper of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, USA.

Quote:
Scam uses Geisinger CEO

By JOHN-ERIK KOSLOSKY

Press Enterprise Writer

MAHONING TWP. –
Geisinger CEO Glenn Steele is among the experts scheduled to speak at the seventh annual "World Conference on Global Economy and Human Welfare" in January.

Problem is, there's no such conference.

And the promoter, "Action World International Organization," also apparently does not exist.

Steele's name was used in what looks to be a scam.
A writer from TheScientist.com said the supposed conference appears to be just a new kind of con to get potential attendees to give up their personal information, like credit card numbers.

It's kind of like that member of the Nigerian royal family who wanted to transfer money into your account a few years back, Bob Grant wrote in a piece posted on the magazine's Web site Tuesday.

Geisinger says it appears the people responsible for the invites simply lifted the speakers from the World Health Congress, a genuine event scheduled for April in Washington.
Steele is indeed scheduled to speak there.

Geisinger spokeswoman Patti Urosevich said the AWIO's conference is "fictitious."

The agenda for the conference posted on AWIO's Web site is rife with misspellings and bad grammar.
That includes the misspelling of Geisinger as "Gunslinger" Health System.
Several speakers are scheduled to give "speaches," and one is set to talk about the "edocution" of children.

Grant said he received an e-mail invitation to the event last week, and it prompted some skepticism.

"All I had to do was get in contact with the conference secretariat, one Grace Nathan, and I could be on my way to the meetings.
And – get this – I would even get my airfare and accommodation paid for!" Grant wrote.

Grant checked with the venue, AXA Equitable Auditorium in New York City.
An executive told him no such event has been booked for the location, he wrote.

"I can only assume that the scam involves getting hapless recipients to take the free airfare and accommodation bait, sending personal or financial information to the 'conference secretariat,'" Grant wrote.

Dubious details

The purported organization's Web site claims it "incubates global partnerships and increases youth participation in decision-making."

Its "mission," the site says, "is to contribute towards the efforts being made to improve the quality of life in communities."

It lists two issues on its home page: "Fighting Discrimination" and "Refugee Protection," along with brief paragraphs below, but does not mention how AWIO is involved in them.

The site includes links to two news stories, neither of which actually mention the organization.

The organization claims to be a non-profit registered in California. However, GuideStar, an organization that tracks non-profits, has no listing for the group.

AWIO lists offices in Manhattan and Washington, but the only telephone number on its Web site has a Long Island area code.

Calls to the number resulted in failed connections.

An e-mail to an address for the organization's secretary was not returned Wednesday.

John-Erik Koslosky reports for the Press Enterprise.
Got a news tip or story you think the community should know about? Call him at 387-1234, ext. 1306, or e-mail him at [email protected].

Closed lad accountsEaster Egg
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
"edocution" of children

"What is the capital of Benin, Johnny?"
"Benin City, Miss."
ZAAAAP!

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic