SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Recourse for a scam victim?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mxedisn
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Howdy all. I guess my accound withered and died as I've not been around in a while. (I used to have an animated flashy hammer thingy as my avatar, and had a premium account)
Anyhoo. A parent of a student of mine (I'm a teacher) came and asked me if I'd like to invest some money with her. Guaranteed to double.
I asked her what the investment was.

Trunks of money.

I think she might have sent some lads some money, but I think she may have WU'ed the funds to Tenessee.

Is there any law-enforcement recourse if the recipient is in the U.S.?

Curious.

--Max.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Is there any law-enforcement recourse if the recipient is in the U.S.?

Possibly - proof of fraud would have to be provided, linking the emails to the real person would be needed, etc.....the first step is for the parent to file a police report and for the agency to feel that there is something to investigate.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your local police may not want to touch it if your case involves interstate fraud (because it would be beyond their operating area). Definitely let them know but I would also see if you local FBI office may be interested. The emails and the headers will of use to them. You local may even have a liason set up with Federal agencies. Postal inspectors will also, no doubt get involved if snail mail was used in any way. Be prepared to show them what you have to prove fraud, like Tsnerd said. They have to be able to show they have a prosecutable case to the AUSA (Assistant U.S. Attorney).

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And the parent will have to prove that the person picked up the money where it was nominally sent to. WU can be picked up anywhere, you know. Sad

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
mxedisn
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't realize WU could be picked up anywhere.

She's probably toast.
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does she now realise it's a scam? Lads don't just stop at one payment, and he will ask for more. We have a sister site www.scamwarners.com, if you can steer her there.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Jammy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At least you were able to inform her she was being scammed, and she won't send any more money.

Unfortunately, if she's at the stage where she's asking her kid's teacher for a loan, she might already be cleaned out. Sad

Definitely take what you have to your local FBI office, all the emails with full headers, the WU information for the guy in Tennessee, etc. Track the IPs in the headers and print that up too. They will definitely take a report, and the more good info you can give them, the more likely it is they may investigate.

Good luck.

Published Bait: The Miseducation of Chief Mrs Watusi FBI Mrs
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well we hope she accepts it's a scam ....
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The matter should be reported to the victims local police or sheriffs department. They will advise you what more, if anything, you need to do. If the FBI needs to get involved, the request would have to come from the police or sheriffs department

I really don't think you can go into your local FBI office and have a report taken. It's not their role to take the initial crime reports. This is the job of the police department or sheriffs office that is responsible for policing the city where the crime occurred.

If you pop into the FBI's office they will more then likely direct you to the police department.

The victim also needs to be warned about what is referred to as a recover scam. This is when, often the same scammers as before, poses as LE and offer to get your money back for you. Of course first you have to WU a registration fee then a fee to activate the case. From here the list goes on.

Real LE would not charge a victim a fee to investigate a crime. Also, LE do not have the role of returning money. If money was recovered it would be evidence. The problem is who do they know its your money and not another victims? So the police doesn't release this stuff without the court ordering them to. If your money can't be returned that way, then it would be up to the court to make the suspect pay restitution to his victims.

Maybe someone else can explain more about recovery scams, I just took an ambien and my screen is getting fuzzy,

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At this point it would probably be best for the victim to go to www.scamwarners.com and read the information about recovery scams. They are very well described there, along with other advice on what to do about scams and scammers. There are lots of helpful links there.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are correct that one should not go directly to the FBI field office close to you. They can be small, and not meant to be accessible by public persons. They are public servants, however, and their field office or regional office phone numbers are located in the blue pages of the directory.

They will listen and offer advice as the are able to. If the case can be prosecuted within the U.S. they may gratefully take it up as long as there is enough evidence to support a case. Do not hestitate to call, they may just have something open already on this guy (though they won't tell you that Wink ).

Not trying to counter you Ghost, just trying to convey my RL experience. If it is interstate FBI is the best route, if it is not interstate then State agencies. I want to overemphasize evidence is the key.

-----------

We are Karma's soldiers.

-Hamlet, scene iv

r2d2
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jammy wrote:
At least you were able to inform her she was being scammed, and she won't send any more money.

i hope you are right, but if she is borrowing money to send then it probably means that
a] she has no money of her own and
b] she can afford to ignore risks because it's not her own money that is at risk.

if she is warned, she might ignore the warnings and carry on.
i don't know if the police would be able to warn her? - she might take that more seriously.

about the link to Tennessee - if she sent money by western union, then the advice is right - it could have been picked up anywhere in the world (but probably Nigeria).
but if she sent money to someone who really is based in Tennessee, then that person could be prosecuted to recover the money (if the recipient has assets)
although it's possible that the recipient is a (knowing or unknowing) accomplice of a fraudster elsewhere,
whose role is to accept checks and launder the money into a foreign bank account.

like titania, i'd advise you to ask at scamwarners.com

atj
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A small question.
A WU payment can be picked up anywhere, but is there any way to be able to make WU disclose the office it was collected from? Many of these places will have cctv. That would have to be good evidence.
I know about international borders but there are police forces working together all over the world.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ghost wrote:
I really don't think you can go into your local FBI office and have a report taken.

I have done so, in a case involving identity theft and stolen credit cards. I didn't go in person, but when I called them up they were happy to take down the information I gave them, and even asked questions.

YMMV, apparently.

Published Bait: The Miseducation of Chief Mrs Watusi FBI Mrs
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

atj, to get businesses that deal with monetary transactions to give up the information you are requesting may very well take a court action like a subpoena. It could involve exposing some kind of finanical record that would otherwise be protected under the Privacy Act. Really, the best route is engage the people who can get things like that done without shelling out oodles of money doing it yourself. It can't hurt to make a phone call. In a lot of cases, depending on where you are from and government resources available, not only can the authorities offer to persue a case, they may be able to suggest victim counseling services. Most LEAs are mandated to have some kind of victim/witness support structure. As I am sure you may have read, even a 419 victim can have the same issue about feeling violated as a person who has been burglarized or physically assaulted.

-----------

We are Karma's soldiers.

-Hamlet, scene iv

devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
but is there any way to be able to make WU disclose the office it was collected from

I think it needs a court order for WU to do this.

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just posted a "trunk full of money scam" in surplus: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1466058#1466058

I don't know if it is exactly the same one that she may have received, but the idea is the same.

It sucks that she actually fell for it. Evil or Very Mad

If said scammer is in fact in the US, then I think the process of gathering evidence and reporting it would definitely be worth the trouble. Maybe not a guarantee that she would get all her money back, but at least they would have gotten rid of one asshat scammer.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As an aside, if you are still around your old account was MaxEdisn.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic