SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

What kind of scamming is this?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quada
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.tv2underholdning.no/hjelperdeg/dette-er-et-mysterium-3014567.html

The page is for a norwegian tv-show called "TV2 helps you".

In this story they are telling about nigerian scammers who is contacting people who are selling their weddingdress (?), and telling them that they have money ready if they ship the dress first. Some of these women have sent there weddingdresses, but none of them have recieved money for it.

They are also telling that when the dresses arrives Nigeria, no one picks them up - they are just laying at the airport/postoffice, and no one is picking them up. They don´t make any money out of this - so what kind of scam is this?

Sorry for my bad english! Hope you understand Smile

please I don't do business with dead people. - Barrister William Koko

You must die, DIE, DIE!!!!!!!! - Mrs Aziza's brother on the phone.
mugu_eater
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Weird stuff if they even gone go to collect the dress....

Sand Timer mr Frank Bode

NOW I KNOW YOU ARE THE MOST STUPID ANIMAL THAT EVER EXIST ON EARTH. FB

ANYWAY THERES NO REASON TO WASTE MY PRECIOUS TIME WITH HE GOAT LIKE YOU..I KNOW ANIMAL LIKE YOU WOULD NOT KNOW SIMPLE COURTESY OF APOLOGY FOR WASTING A TIME OF A RESPONSIBLE BUSINESSMAN LIKE ME.
J0hns0n Prince K0fi
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I may be wrong but isn´t this usually a so-called overpayment scam?

They pay by checks. You receive the check, you send the dress away to Nigeria but - the check was for sum too high. You are friendly and agree to send the difference to the scammer by Western Union, and think you have done a quick and nice deal.

Until - you get mail from your bank and/ or a visit from the police : That check has bounced, and you are charged with check fraud and have a bid debt at your bank! Sad Sad Sad

So it´s a Nigerian fake check and/ or overpayment scam. Our friends from Muguland are great in both Sad

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
-C-
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^
From reading that article it doesn't seem so to me. Granted I'm basing my understanding on how much Swedish resembles or doesn't resemble Norwegian and it doesn't help that my Swedish is little rusty, but there was this part:

Quote:
Svindelen foregår på den måten at den norske selgeren mottar en falsk e-post fra en oppdiktet bank at pengene for kjolen er innbetalt. Når selgeren kan vise at varen er sendt til Nigeria, skal pengene overføres.

If I understood that correctly, the vics will get a message from a fake bank saying that the money is ready and the vic will get it once the dress is sent (and they can prove it). And then nothing. Of course "nothing" as in "no money", but no checks either. Just...nothing?

I even thought it could be a fake bank site, they could flash and then somehow get the vic into more traditional "get this money from this account but pay muchlotsofmoneybywesternonion first"-scheme that way, however obscure that sounds, but the article doesn't support it either.

Pith Helmet Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso -> Lome, Togo

Pith Helmet Joseph: Accra --> Lome. "IT WILL BE GOOD FOR YOU TO STOP FOOLING AROUND INTERNET OKAY."

"YOU WILL REGREAT INSULTIN ME. WATCH OUT AS THE TUNDER STROKES." -Idi.

"Hello", "Hello", "Are you a pineapple?" "Yes." -Phone conversation with a random lad now only known as "Mr. Pineapple".
Quada
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

-C- wrote:
^^

If I understood that correctly, the vics will get a message from a fake bank saying that the money is ready and the vic will get it once the dress is sent (and they can prove it). And then nothing. Of course "nothing" as in "no money", but no checks either. Just...nothing?

Correct!

Anyone heard of this kind of scam?

please I don't do business with dead people. - Barrister William Koko

You must die, DIE, DIE!!!!!!!! - Mrs Aziza's brother on the phone.
Murdockh
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The question that pops up first in my mind is how does anyone know, really know, that the dresses are in fact "gathering dust", as the article says, in Nigeria?

Since the vic doesn't send any money, doesn't receive any check(s), and is out nothing but a used wedding dress, I think it's about something completely different. Maybe it's all about the dresses. Some wedding dress shop owner struck a deal with the dead letter office? It'd be interesting to know if this is, or has been, a trend on other auction/classifieds sites.

The quote from the Norwegian economic crimes division (ØKOKRIM) is a little weird too;
"There are big storage facilities in Nigeria with weddingdresses and other things that doesn't get picked up. We don't know why."

Seems a lot of stuff goes uncollected in Nigeria, since they need multiple big warehouses to store it all...

Spain x2 United States x3 United Kingdom x6 Netherlands x9 Denmark Ivory Coast Ireland Nigeria China Bahamas, The Russia South Africa Switzerland Cayman Islands
Mortar x5
Evil Days, Evil Ways - Chilled Out Nights and Lowered Lights
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No, I haven't. But, maybe the scammer is reselling them. Have you seen the prices on wedding dresses??
It could also be the first part of a "recovery scam." And the victim will get an email from someone who can recover their dress, or they will recieve "compensation" for sending upfront fees paid to the recovery scammer.
Scammers will very often return to their victims and try running another scam on them, knowing they are susceptible to them, or they will sell their victims info to another scammer to do the same.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Murdockh
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good point, SlapHappy.
Seems to me it's taking too long, though. Since the Norwegian police have taken the trouble (seemingly) to try and trace the dresses, confirming that they're still in the custody (again, seemingly) of the Nigerian postal system, a recovery scam might trigger unwanted attention for the scammers.

Then again...if ØKOKRIM really knows that the dresses are there, why not demand they be sent back? Hmm. And now I don't have any friendlies in ØKOKRIM to ask anymore, either.

If none of the vics have been hit with the recovery format yet, then I still think it's about the dresses themselves, in some way or other.

Spain x2 United States x3 United Kingdom x6 Netherlands x9 Denmark Ivory Coast Ireland Nigeria China Bahamas, The Russia South Africa Switzerland Cayman Islands
Mortar x5
Evil Days, Evil Ways - Chilled Out Nights and Lowered Lights
paddyj
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SlapHappy wrote:

Scammers will very often return to their victims and try running another scam on them, knowing they are susceptible to them, or they will sell their victims info to another scammer to do the same. Rolling Eyes

This shows clearly the scammer's mentality. Crying or Very sad

- Mr.Amos, I must commend on your efforts. Let me know when Paddy is satisfied...
- I think the payment is a Western Union Moneygram. Does that help?
-You are stressing me too much, I must confess to you. Dr T@o (6 1/2 months)
-I'm really speechless about what your Sister did to you Babs
-we were able to give out 7 goats to the orphan's parents
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic