SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Western union trips not necessary?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
tbScam
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do Lads still make trips to Western union to collect cash for their "fees"? Or is it all done online now? If it's online, why bother giving them the wrong numbers?
meloncoly
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes they do, you can send payments online, and track them, but they collect them in person
tbScam
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But they can just go online (while they're scamming innocent folks) and simply check to see if the MCTN is valid, is that right?
luckey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think you can pick up money online, but you can check to see if it's there. Not all scammers know that, or trust it. I don't think Moneygram can be checked online.

I've managed to get online-savvy scammers to make the trip by telling them it's necessary for whatever reason. I've even gotten safaris that way by telling them it must be picked up at a specific location.

In my experience, most scammers have limited patience for running back and forth to WU or MG. If I'm going for a longer bait or some sort of trophy, I usually avoid WU dodges. If I do "send a payment", it's only to create some reason WU can't work for me so I can move to the next chapter.

Last edited by luckey on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only way to get the money is by going to the office, and the web is an ancillary to check the tracking number is valid/available for pickup.

MG cannot be checked online, as luckey says.

Quote:
But they can just go online (while they're scamming innocent folks) and simply check to see if the MCTN is valid, is that right?

Right. Smile

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
tbScam
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My point is that they can call you out immediately right at their computer if the mctn you give them is valid or not. Western union.

So if MG does not allow online validity checking, I will use them instead.
meloncoly
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes, this is why i was pondering getting valid MTCNs. I always suggest MG instead and send them my fake scans
Jammy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are correct, it's much harder to waste lads' time now that WU numbers can be checked for validity right from the same computer they are doing their emailing on.
Mr. Green
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From my experience in Africa, many internet cafes have a WU desk at the same facility. These are usually the more "up-market" cafes (think Africa's answer to Kinkos) and not necessarily the seedy ones we imagine the lads to use.

Sand Timer 25 months, <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1014373">Mr. Scot</a> "Skipper has never communicated to us since the campaign event took place last year. we did'nt get a cent from that event either."
Sand Timer 24 months, <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119437">Mr. Uche-uka</a> "There is no way that I would have put in this enermous amount of time, work and money without being serious with this huge task ahead of building and running an orphanage."
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Click here to donate to 419Eater</a>
paythecourier
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I know its not totally related but I am always wondering why the lads always want paid in US Dollars instead of in there own currency. Im sure there is a straight forward reason but if someone was trying to scam me that is the first thing that would cause bells to ring.

S
meloncoly
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

US dollars are just a widely accepted international currency, they do ask for GBP and euros too
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, it's simpler to deal in, especially when they are receiving money - a US victim is unlikely to understand a request for 420,000 Naira.

It establishes a common baselines, which is easier for "business."

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Mlox42
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

tbScam wrote:
My point is that they can call you out immediately right at their computer if the mctn you give them is valid or not. Western union.

So if MG does not allow online validity checking, I will use them instead.

You can always say your WU outlet doesn't post the MTCNs online for security reasons. I've used that excuse before... of course then they told me to go to one that does put them online.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic