SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Nigerian's perspective

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bobjohnson
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My wife works with a college student from Nigeria. They worked together this weekend and got on the subject of the 419 scamming. The girl was absolutely disgusted with scammers, and said they are a real embarrasment to her country. She talked at great length about scammers and her country. Interesting stuff, but not much not already known. She compared it to Slumdog Millionaire to give it perspective. She said people are either really poor, or wealthy and they will stay that way. She said the poor will go days without eating at times. The scammers are hustlers, and all they know how to do is hustle. She said it is really sad. She talked about the corruption in the government. She said teachers go on strike about every 8 months. There is plenty of money for schools, but the government steals it and then the teachers don't get paid and they go on strike until the money is back. She said the only way to get a decent education is to be sent away to a boarding school. Her parents sent her to the United States for college to ensure a decent education. She said her parents own their own business and work it 7 days a week, 7 am to 10 pm. It used to be until 11 pm, but after 22 years they decided to give themselves a break and now close at 10 pm.

My wife told her what we do and she thought it was great. She said anything that can be done to stop the scammers is great. She also talked about how the scamming money all gets funneled to the big dogs (my terminology) who are hotel owners and such. She said that when she goes home she does not go out at all, that it is dangerous. She works at her family business and goes home.

That's all I can think of for now. Just thought I'd give a Nigerian's perspective.

Goat Easter Egg 2013
www.emmanuelisastupidmugugoatdicker.webs.com
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Lagos Daily Sun gives a lot of insight into the chaos that pervades life in Nigeria.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/default.htm

It seems the police have cottoned on to our 'scammer holding a sign' modality:

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can also visit www.nairaland.com
A very busy forum with Nigerians who are native and ex-pats.

The problem with saying you've got a "Nigerian perspective" there is that you're only talking about one individual. And as everyone knows - different individuals have different opinions.
For example - when the subject of 419 comes up on nairaland (as it frequently does) it's interesting to see how divisive the subject is - some condemn it outright, some promote it, some blame the Nigerian authorities' culture of corruption and some blame the West for it's "greed".

If you really want a Nigerian perspective, I recomment nairaland as a must read. It's certainly one of my favourite forums.
I often take all the comments made on a subject and try and see if I can make anything of them to give some sort of "national concensus" but to tell the truth, I've generally not been any more succesful than I would have been looking at any other forum where people from the same country hang-out.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
bobjohnson
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess I did not realize there was a problem. Kind of a weird response...sorry for contributing I guess.

Goat Easter Egg 2013
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bob, please don't feel sorry for contributing that anecdote. It was quite informative in its way.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^Indeed.

@Slightly: I guess Bob was just looking to share this student's perspective with us, not 'looking' for a Nigerian perspective on 419. You are right on the fact that different individuals would have different perspectives though.

Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Errr... I wasn't having a go at you bob (in fact, reading through my post, I can't see anywhere where it looks like I've had a go at you).

I was merely stating that if you are interested in the people of Nigeria and their outlook, the forum that I linked is a great place to go.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Bob, don't worry, Slightly wasn't having any kind of go at you - if he had you'd still be feeling it next week! He's the sharing squirrel, after all.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Must have read it wrong. Just seemed weird when it said

Quote:
The problem with saying you've got a "Nigerian perspective" there is that you're only talking about one individual. And as everyone knows - different individuals have different opinions.

I don't see a problem. It was a Nigerian's perspective. It was not from a forum. It was not from somebody who can hide behind a computer. It was somebody face to face and somebody who hasn't been out of the country for too long. Yes, it is one person's perspective. I never said it was the thoughts of the country.

I might be a bit touchy...not the first time a moderator poo pooed something that I tried to offer. I don't do it often because there are plenty who already know everything and have made it known.

After rereading your post I think I jumped the gun a bit. Just letting you know what went through my head.

Goat Easter Egg 2013
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a student here from Nigeria, and she said much of what your friend said. Its a shame as, looking at the photos of weddings and whatnot, Nigerians are good people, generally.

I got stabbed once in some sleazy Central America shithole port town, and a Nigerian doctor sewed me up, and refused payment. He was very kind, and I remember that.

Thanks for sharing, Bob. It is nice to be reminded that scammers are not all from Nigeria, and not all Nigerians are scammers, something that sometimes seems to be forgotten in our community.

Now, if only I could get my Malian Scammer to travel to the Gambia....

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
bobjohnson
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I was in college I did a management internship and had a Nigerian work for me. Hard worker. He was a slow worker, but a hard worker. He had no concept of speed. Good guy. Had a really different perspective of the US government. Interesting to listen to. Funny how people not from the US can view our government.

Goat Easter Egg 2013
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic