SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

What to do next: inadvertently baiting someone as myself

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Renovator
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am selling something on Craigslist and got an email from someone who sounded a bit sketchy. However, things improved and I got to the point where I thought it could be legit, so I left my address and phone #. Well, then I get the kicker "oh, we accidentally sent the wrong money order, can you cash it and send us the difference via Western Union" -- yeah, sure buddy. In your dreams.

Anyway, now I am in this position but the scammer has my real address, phone and email.

What would you recommend as a next step? I was thinking of playing it straight, and possibly emailing them that "oh, you know what? The bank says this money order is counterfeit. Now what would you like me to do?"

I would normally be tempted, if I was working under an alias, to tell them I cashed it and they are getting nothing, I'm keeping it all suck'a!!

I just wanna know the status of the money order.
I will be awaiting for your email today.. You are damn too aggressive.
Maybe u think I'm a scammer. That's bad.
Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say just stop responding, and block them from your e-mail address.

EDIT: And tear up that money order once it arrives...

Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Finish it Exclamation

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tell the scammer you already sold the item, and not to send a cheque, then ignore everything else he says, and destroy the cheques if they arrive.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Renovator and welcome. Very Happy Good for you for spotting the overpayment scam so quickly.

What the other members are advising is to drop the scammer since he has your real life information. It's not a good idea to make them angry when they do. Despite the fact that any real danger is minimal, they do do things like mail bomb your email account, call you relentlessly, etc. It's better to keep baiting completely away from real life. Remember, they're criminals and may have associates closer to you than you think.

So, either make a new fake account and write to him out of the blue as if you received a query regarding Craigslist (don't mention anything that ties it back to you) or find plenty of other scammers to start baiting from a fake account. (Look in the surplus letters forum). Either way, welcome aboard.

PS. You can register at our sister site, http://www.ScamWarners.com and post the scammer's information, including early emails so that they show up in searches. It will likely prevent someone else from being scammed by him.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic