SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Estimated number of internet scammers worldwide?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
junebug
flumpted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anybody heard or seen a figure on the estimated number of internet/email scammers operating worldwide? I need the figure for an article I'm working on -- a search turns up nothing reliable. I'm guessing this number is damned hard to gauge.

"THAT IS PUTTING MY ASS ON FIRE,AND I WOULD NOT REALLY LIKE THAT."
"Your Full…Name.
Your full...contact Address.
And also with your Defecation ID.."
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts
BRUIN
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know that anyone has a reliable figure. For one thing - define 'scammer'. You have some pros. You have some wannabes. You have some mugus who are just dabbling in scams. How involved do you have to be to be a scammer? Is the guy who sent out a few unsuccessful scripts, and never stole a penny, a scammer?

Then, you have to differentiate between 419 scammers and other related types of internet fraud - - spamming, phishing, etc. I believe that, for at least some scammers, there is involvement in more than one area of fraud.

Nevertheless, I would bet the figure is in the tens of thousands.

Bruin

Safari Ivory Coast to Ghana by Margaret Don & Angus (WIMP) - approx 524 miles, round trip

Safari Lagos to Ghana (WIMP) by Emanuel, approx 454 miles round trip

YOU CAN GO TO HAIL - Barrister Benard Koffi

YOU HAVE REALLY INCONVINSE THE CHAMBERS AND WE HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTER SUCH DIFICULTIES - Barrister Sinega Amah

I will not and will never link you up to someone that is reputable - Thomas Malcom

UR A FUCKING DESTITUTE. U WERE A DRAIN DUCK AND NOW U A SCAM FRAUDSTAR -- SMALL TIME 419. - Marcus Owen

South Africa

Hello Kitty! <--- TS certified
Seamless
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As of this moment the world population stands at 6,793,859,883, so if only 1 in every 10,000 was a scammer that would be 679385 scammers. Disheartening.

"You are a destinated Idiot. a fibol element, a rebel against humanity.

You are a goat. And very stupid. I will deal with you very soon, just wait, I have all your contact address, and I will trace you very soon, for insulting me, all evidence of your insult to me has been filed.

Lawyer M4nu3l told me that you could be one of this terrorist in the usa. and I later find out on my research on you, that you are one of the bastards in wherever you are. not even in usa."

Closed lad accounts

Safari< S4NI S4LISU Ghana to Togo
Safari< St3lla J0nta Cote d'Ivoire to Ghana
Easter Egg Whip Penguin Mortar Purple Flower Purple Flower Killer Baiter
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

An oft-quoted figure (can't remember the source) is that there are 250,000 online scammers in Lagos, which, given the city's population of 10 million, is still quite a low proportion (less than 10% of males between 18 and 65).

From a different angle, I have seen estimates of annual losses to 419 fraud of between US$300 million and US$1 billion. Plucking an average figure of US$2000 per scammer per year would suggest between 150,000 and 500,000 scammers.

It's hard to be more accurate, since so many victims don't report losses due to shame and fear of humiliation.

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just work here, but I think that it is too darn many.

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
sir scam alot
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Millions. It all depends on what kind of scamming you are talking about. My grandfather was a scammer of sorts.

Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkwerre: Port Harcourt to Abeche, Chad
Safari2 = Barr. Mustapha Marlick: Lome, Togo to Abuja Nigeria and Accra, Ghana.
pony Mortar x15 (some survived) Closed lad accounts x280 T.W.A.T Nurse Nastys Audi TT United States
<b>Have you kicked your lad today?<b>
Over $1 million USD in fake checks/money orders confiscated Easter Egg
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Surprised My Paw Paw would never.

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Jonas Parker
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So many scammers, so few baiters! (sigh)

Mlox42
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say for every baiter there are 10,000 scammers.

So a 10,000:1 ratio.

Don't know if that is how that ratio would look, math ain't my good side. By the time I figured out if that is the correct way to form that ratio, the next Ice Age would be here.
pablo
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As a quick quess the number in west africa is in the thousands with perhaps two thirds in Nigeria. West africa has perhaps half of the world total.

The total scam messages has dramatically increased more through
the tools the scammers have than total individuals.

What has changed is volume of other forms of scams. Cell phone calls, scam customers using eBAY / Craig's lists. Phishing in its various forms. Many of the newer scams are targeting the truely innocent victims.
p.
MikeandLouise
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mlox42 wrote:
I'd say for every baiter there are 10,000 scammers.

So a 10,000:1 ratio.

So no pressure then?

Closed lad accounts x7
Fake cheques collected = €3000, $2000, £4000

'Cheating is not in our blood as we Muslim’s besides it’s against Islamic law, it’s only Africa people that cheat'. - Mr. Saleem Al Farra

'What kind of game is this? I went to the bank this afternoon to cash out the Money, the cashier then told me that it was a fake payment. you make me look stupid right in front of responsible Men and Women'. - 0ke Edew0r
Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^In a certain way: No, if you screw up, you can always start over on one of those other 10.000 that are there especially for you. On the other hand, figures like this means that G0mer will need to start mentoring more new baiters and educating them in his ways Wink

junebug
flumpted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks to all. the only solid number I could find was from a UK source, the one Wright B was referring to: 250,000 in Lagos. It's a really hard number to quantify because there are so many different kinds of scams. The US actually leads in internet fraud, according to reports I've read, because they're counting credit card fraud and other sorts of internet identity theft. So "internet fraud" is a huge balloon that covers everything from phishing to 419. This would make a fascinating study for a sociologist, to start counting number of 419ers by city. makes me want to go back to school.

"THAT IS PUTTING MY ASS ON FIRE,AND I WOULD NOT REALLY LIKE THAT."
"Your Full…Name.
Your full...contact Address.
And also with your Defecation ID.."
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic