SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Linux users? Anyone?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Poll :: LINUX.

What in tarnation is a LINUX?
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Windows uses me.
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
I have a Mac.
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
I run Linux/Ubuntu/Knoppix/etc on my rig. Yeah!
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

Vox_Aurelius
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Linux. It's awesome. This seems like an intelligent board, so when I hear things about proprietary software, I wonder how many people use something other than Windows/Man software?

If you do, then please - let us know what OS your rig is running! If you don't, then I strongly advise looking into a copy of Ubuntu. It's simple, easy to use, and FREE.

So what do you run? Right now I'm using Kubuntu (9.04, Jaunty) on my web surfing rig, but my storage comp (Raid-3 array) and my router are also Windows-free.

I've converted my girlfriend to Ubuntu, although most of my friends keep Windows for gaming reasons. How about you guys?

"Note: The money is coming on 2 security proof boxes." -Mr. Sanusi
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have dual OS on my box. Mandriva One and Windows XP Home. If windows craps out, I can always boot to Linux. Very Happy

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ubuntu Linux on my netbook (makes an excellent screen-size friendly OS) and Windows 7 with a bunch of Cygwin services on my desktop.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I run dual OS. Both are Windows. Sad

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ubuntu 9.10 on my main box with Crunchbanglinux 9.04 on my netbook.I dual-booted for a few months, noticed that I didn't use Windows much at all so kicked it out.

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Noah Bode
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried and tried my best to make my Ubuntu s.10 installation to connect to the net, or to do anything... but failed miserably.
The tutorials keep saying what I should type in the command line (or whatever it's called), but the thing is I can't find the darn command line. Embarassed

One other issue I have with linux (just like every other open source thing) is there are so frigging many different releases and I don't have the time or the knowledge to test them all just to see which one is usable.
Each release tends to attract it's own group of users who say it's the best and that I should look no further.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against open source, on the contrary, but it's very confusing and I even live in this bubble in which I believe I have above average knowledge about computers.

So I'm on XP, and doing just fine.
All the apps I ever needed run smoothly on it, and when it crashes or gets viruses, trojans or whatever, I just reinstall it. I don't bother with firewalls or antiviruses. It takes me less than an hour (much quicker than doing a full scan on 17 different diagnostic softwares) .
Vox_Aurelius
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's true that knowledge of the Linux OSes takes a degree of familiarity. Here's a few things that I wish I was told early on in the Linux universe:

• Ubuntu is a great Linux OS to cut your teeth on. It has GUI versions of all the vital command-line actions, and it's well maintained.
  • Sometimes Ubuntu is a little TOO well maintained. Turn your computer to search for updates every week, or maybe every two weeks. It seems like every darn hour they come up with some new thing you have GOT to update! Sheesh.
  • Ubuntu is run by people who have a hardcore, purist belief in free software. The Ubuntu people will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER put proprietary software in their releases.
  • Unforch, many vital components of a computer's software are proprietary. Flash is the most notable, although MP3 compilers are also important.
  • Super Ubuntu (or Super OS) is a version of Ubuntu that comes with proprietary software already packaged. While Ubuntu is a "pure free software" group, SuperOS is a "it works right out of the box" group.
  • The command line is known as Terminal in Ubuntu. It's a lot like MS-DOS, but more powerful and with different syntax. You can find it in the programs list.
  • Lots of drivers don't exist for Linux, and many of those that do are really finicky. If you happen to be a hardcore Linuxist (like me) then your hardware purchases are governed largely by the presence of Linux drivers. (Main rule? Test it first. Borrow a buddy's webcam and see if you can get his to work before buying your own, etc.)
  • Releases like Ubuntu's Hardy/Intrepid/Jaunty are largely irrelevant, just use the newest.
  • If you already just reinstall your OS to get rid of viruses, then you'll love Linux. Unlike Windows, Linux can run itself off a CD, no hard drive required! It's that compressible. Installing it is a breeze and its partition manager is much smarter than the last Windows one I saw.

"Note: The money is coming on 2 security proof boxes." -Mr. Sanusi
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Multi-boot; managed by GRUB. AROS, Linux (right now Ubuntu 9.04) and Win Xp.
In the past 12 years I used various linuxes (Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, SUSE, Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE).
Had enough of .rpm and tarballs and learned to appreciate .deb and another smart thing called autopackage.

For me KDE was love at first sight. I mean KDE 1.0; Liked 3.x.x too. But 2 and 4...
So that's why I use GNOME now.

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Asshole! - angry ghanaian "barrister"
limburger
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have used a few Linuxes in the past, I currently have a dual boot with windows and PCBSD.

so your job is to hack some body job you go die and you must run mad in this country all generation will go to hell fire i must get you and i will troll way you inside beach idiot as you hack my money and you crate email dey write richard as you do it i will spoil the job . idot --Steve F
Moose Head
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am currently using Windows XP 32bit However I really need to get a 64x OS like Windows 7 to get the full power out of my PC.

I've just built a new one and its all shiney and new and plays games and stuffs! Very Happy

devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to run dual Ubuntu/XP but found Windows more convenient becasue it runs PS, so removed Ubuntu.

Looking forward to Windows 7 amd told by my IT Guru that it is good.

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Computers in the ratter household run on Mac OS X, which behind the GUI is really Unix. I keep a couple of versions of Windows (2K and XP) around, running as virtual machines (VMWare Fusion) for the odd function that doesn't have a good analog in the Mac world (Quicken and Visio, mainly).

I also use a BSD Unix-based firewall/router: pfSense.

I also run Ubuntu in a VM for development and general fooling around. Vox's comments (in his "wish I was told early on" post) hit on many of the reasons why Linux isn't more widely mainstreamed. People who want to get "under the hood" generally love it. The far more common "appliance" users have a harder time and generally don't stick with it.

OS X, in my view, is a good middle ground. It's posix compliant, as are many Linux distros. Commercial, yes, but well supported with open source software (including much of the OS itself), and easy to get under the hood if that's your thing; if it's not, no need to even know that Terminal exists.

I'm not rabidly anti-Microsoft (just mildly) and hear good things about Windows 7. But it still comes in several flavors and the prices escalate quickly. Mac OS versions tend to cost $129, or less than $200 for a "family" license, and there's only one version of the basic OS (the only other one is Server, and it's $499, and now provides unlimited seats at that price.)

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a fairly new Linux user, and have tried many distros on live CD. The one i like the best is Puppy Linux. Unlike Ubuntu, which always seemed to annoy me with "failed updates. Dependencies not found...", and software glitches that had to be fixed, Puppy Linux's software packages install and work after you install them. Their forum is very active for help, and it's an easy linux to use and learn. It's stable, fast, and works even on very old hardware. I have windows on my desktop, and run puppy on my baiting box.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Used various versions of SuSE (up to version 8 I think). Kept a windows partition for the odd time Linux didn't have the required software.

Then I discovered OS X.

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Rover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use Windows for some of my work I do, at he office I'm on Ubuntu all our servers run Centos

Latest Anti Fraud News | Email Header Analysis | Help keep Eater running | Join 419Eater on Facebook Easter 2015
Carlos Dominquez
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do have a mac however I do also run Ubuntu on a media PC and Debian on a home server. However I need to run Windows for work too. Mainly though I use OSX. I do love the free OS idea though.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My wireless card and Ubuntu hate each other. It's sad because I love them both. So I dual with the dreaded Vista and Ubuntu.

United Kingdom Thailand Malaysia
Closed lad accounts x 67
Mortar x 34 (Hi, kids!) Easter Egg 2012
Pith Helmet Accra-Lagos = "you made me and my people to wiat at the air port for nothing sake.and pay for hotel resavetion its not sound." -John Asamoha
Hon. Martins Sand Timer 16 Jan 2009 - 7 May 2011

Reap / Sow
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Have you tried getting the wireless card working with ndiswrapper? I've never had one that didn't work with ndiswrapper...

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You probably never had D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
mr.scissorkick
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ remu:
WTF?
I think I tried that, but I'm just shaking off the Microsoft brainwashing, so I don't really walk the Linux walk yet.

I'll go surf the interwebs to see what e-formation I can upload offlines.

United Kingdom Thailand Malaysia
Closed lad accounts x 67
Mortar x 34 (Hi, kids!) Easter Egg 2012
Pith Helmet Accra-Lagos = "you made me and my people to wiat at the air port for nothing sake.and pay for hotel resavetion its not sound." -John Asamoha
Hon. Martins Sand Timer 16 Jan 2009 - 7 May 2011

Reap / Sow
JadeFalcon
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to dualboot Gentoo and XP, but my desktop environment and some other things broke themselves to the point where I couldn't use it any more, so I gave up.

Recently I've been trying to get Linux working again (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE) but for whatever reason I can't seem to get it to cooperate with dual monitors. Every time I switch to the nVidia drivers, X goes bizarro on me and refuses to output to my screens. I just gave up and gave in to the wishes of M$. I still refuse to use Vista though. I have a soul!

"fo rizzle my j-fizzle" - BluthBanana

"I am tired of all this questions you do ask me all the time.You ask question like a small kid." - Michael Jonathan, avatarlad

<a href="/forum/donate.php">Come on...You know you want an ORANGE name!</a>
RIP Steward. Never forget.

Last edited by JadeFalcon on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BTW: I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop - Although I prefer Linux, Win 7 is quite impressive, a lot better than Vista thats for sure.

Latest Anti Fraud News | Email Header Analysis | Help keep Eater running | Join 419Eater on Facebook Easter 2015
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't be arsed, to be honest. Every year or so I'll give Ubuntu or another of the builds a try, hit glitches like my monitor ratio not being supported, try to work through them with a frankly largely unhelpful community (because it is so fragmented I guess), and eventually try to hobble along. I try to find suitable replacements for apps I need to use regularly like Avid (video editing), but there are no suitable apps, codecs, etc.

So, I still run Vista or XP, neither of which I have a problem with, although I happily use open source software and support the open movement which is reminiscent of the early days to me. GIMP, OpenOffice and Firefox on Vista will do most of what I want, and I run Avid for my editing work.

Linux will stabilise I'm sure, and hopefully once it stabilises, people will write a bunch more drivers, some decent NLE software for the platform, etc. That would be great. But for now I have to stick with the better known and better supported Vista.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Using Ubuntu and win7 as VM's on Vista. I must admit I don't use both of them very much, windoze is still more convenient to me because op the number of supported apps and support.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Fryer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10

guy nawaaa for you oooh
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic