SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Retro PC game Elite Plus - manual anyone: sorted

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought I'd have a retro night in - crank up the 800MHz 98SE (not the oldest I have still working), put on Elite Plus
the space game {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)} that plays the Blue Danube in the background, and let a few hours go by.

Couldn't find it.

So I cranked up Dangerous Dave 2 - but it repeats the first stage ad nauseum.

So then I hunted amongst the thousand odd CDs and floppies (large and small) and finally found Elite, installed it.. and blow me down I'd forgotten the damned access technique they have: they ask for a certain word by reference to the manual. Dammit!

I've searched online and found the manual in full, but as the game wants 'page x; line y; word z' and as the online manual isn't formatted the same way as the book, I'm stuck.

Can anyone help out with a couple of pages from the manual - wait, does anyone have the manual? (The Elite Flight Training manual)

I suppose I'll have to play tetris

Purple Flower

Last edited by GordonBennett on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Firehouse5 - a million thanks for your PM.

(I received a long list of words which I'll try soon)

Nice to know someone else has the game. It goes nowhere, slowly but is quite addictive.

Purple Flower
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GordonBennett wrote:
It goes nowhere, slowly

I haven't heard that in years, thanks for the laugh. Laughing

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to love playing Frontier Elite II ... yes I remember those password routines .... wasn't there a hack for it though? It's been a long time! There were so many built in cheats! LOL
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had copied that manual down word for word - unless you are already furnished, you can try to decipher my handwriting Smile

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This thread really brings up memories - at one point I had stacks and stacks of hand-copied manuals, home made copy-protection wheels, and so on. Especially annoying were those schemes that couldn't be easily translated into text...

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember having a game called The Incredible Machine, which had this diagram in the manual with numbers corresponding to certain symbols, upon startup the game would give you three numbers and you'd have to click the right symbols... Really annoying protection.

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah Yes. Elite. The original on the BBC Micro.

The tape version had no mining lasers - there wasn't room.
The disk version had no asteroids - some idiot had switched them off when they built the distribution.
Years later, I finally got a version with both, and it was a crap way to make money.

On the tape version, autopilot just jumped you into the spacestation, but on the disk version it tried to pilot you in - very badly, very dangerously. I had a an accelerator pedal that I made that made it at least reasonably safe; you waited until the autopilot had lined up and then floored the throttle before it decided to re-align.

The prize for the worst copy-protection must go to WordWise. They made a wordprocessor that refused to run in my second processor, because it thought it was in sideways RAM. So I lost several K of available space and had to keep switching the processor off. All sideways RAM cards came with a switch that defeated that check anyway.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
AngryBalloon
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check out Oolite.

It's an open source version and seems to be identical to the original (from what I can tell).

It also has some nice graphical enhancements.

I managed to get to Deadly (rank before Elite) when I played on my Beeb back in the 80s. Now I can't play it for toffee!!

Closed lad accounts
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
It requires at least a 400 MHz processor, 256 MiB of memory, and a graphics card capable of accelerating OpenGL graphics.
So just like the original, but it needs 200 times the processor speed, at least four times the word size and eight thousand times the memory of the original. Not to mention the installer being well over two hundred and fifty times as large. It looks pretty, so I'll forgive them asking for a graphics processor.

Just for the record, I'm not being fair to them; the original was a staggering piece of engineering.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The original is under 300kb, which is amazing, all things considered.
On my first computer (386 with 2mb ram and 20mb hard drive) I had a flight sim game that allowed you to dog fight, in colour, over the Pacific, and then review your fight from any angle you wanted (and you could shift the point dynamically as you watched).

And what about Retaliator which fits on my 1.44mb floppy with Dangerous Dave 2 and Elite?

Good fun, the old ones.

Frumpy wrote:
I had copied that manual down word for word
Shocked The days before photocopiers and scanners, eh!

Purple Flower
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic