SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I may have been scammed!!!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
moosewinkle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey all,

I was putting a property for rent. Someone was interested and asked me the address and phone number. I gave this to them. But I haven't heard back.

What is the potential harm in my emailing my name, address and mobile phone?

Should I be concerned?
BarristerGeorgeCurious
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, your name and address is public anyway (I assume! You're not in a witness protection programme, are you?)

Probably nothing to worry about.
moosewinkle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BarristerGeorgeCurious wrote:
You're not in a witness protection programme, are you?)

Oh crap! lol just kidding. Thanks for the reassurance. Thats what I thought too. They said they want to send me a cheque for a rent deposit. The email sounded very legit without bad english etc. Plus it came from a student housing website not one of the public craigslists etc.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
They said they want to send me a cheque for a rent deposit.

Did they actually come out and look at the apartment?

I'd be leery of it and leave it be - if a scam, the check will either be too much and they'll ask for money to be wired back, or else the will suddenly have a change of plans and ask you to wire the deposit back - possibly even generously offering you to keep some, just for the inconvenience.

The checks will bounce and then you'll be stuck.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
BaitDownUnder
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did they leave any contact details for themselves?

I would be very careful about Identity theft - especially as you left a name & address.
moosewinkle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BaitDownUnder wrote:
Did they leave any contact details for themselves?

I would be very careful about Identity theft - especially as you left a name & address.

no, i should have seen through it myself Embarassed I wont send any more details.

my name and address can be gotten from the phone book i guess

then again, the address is on the ad of my property anyways

Last edited by moosewinkle on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
BaitDownUnder
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fair enough, but be very wary.

If you're that concerned, you could always pull your phone records from the company and check the phone number.

A good tip - if very general - i will never pick up from a phone number i don't know. If it's business, they'll leave a message. If it's important, they'll leave a message. If it's not important, they won't leave a message so it wasn't worth picking up anyway.

Any missed calls i google the number Smile
moosewinkle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi ppl,

Ok, I know now that I have been dealing with a 419 scammer. After learning things on this site, I have tracked the Yahoo IP and its in GHANA not the UK.

How bad do you guys think the damage is. I gave them my name, address, & phone number. I am 'expecting' a cheque.

I emailed back saying I know they are in GHANA and I am no longer part of this deal.

The thing is, the details I gave them could be found anyway on the property listing site where I listed the rental property.

Should I honestly be worried now I have confirmed its a scam

Is there a way I can get thier Yahoo account closed?
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not much you can do about it - at least you have your eyes open to the next stage if it transpires, but writing to them saying you've rumbled them may stop them going ahead.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

manbiteslion wrote:
Not much you can do about it - at least you have your eyes open to the next stage if it transpires, but writing to them saying you've rumbled them may stop them going ahead.

Its a strange one. I cant figure out how they wanted to go ahead. They never asked for any other details except what I gave them. Maybe they are sending a fake cheque??? Does someone know this scam?
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's very common, unfortunately. They will send you a fake check for more than the amount you're asking for, and ask you to send the excess amount via Western Union to their movers, or some other "third party" (who is actually them, of course).

Or they will send you a fake check and at the last minute some unforeseen circumstance will happen and they will be unable to continue with the transaction, so could you please refund the money - by WU.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
moosewinkle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Titania wrote:
It's very common, unfortunately. They will send you a fake check for more than the amount you're asking for, and ask you to send the excess amount via Western Union to their movers, or some other "third party" (who is actually them, of course).

Or they will send you a fake check and at the last minute some unforeseen circumstance will happen and they will be unable to continue with the transaction, so could you please refund the money - by WU.

I guess they would try to get a refund of the money before the cheque clears. Well even if I did not pick this up as a scam, I wouldnt refund anyone any cash before a cheque clears.
Star A Star
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^that is where you have to be very careful, there is a difference between available for use and totally cleared. The funds may be available to you in your account but that does not mean that the check has cleared it could well be 4 to 6 weeks before it is discovered to be false

eta: either rip it up on arrival or hand it to the bank/law enforement stating that it is a fake or scribble fake across it in crayon and stick it on your office wall /fridge as a conversation piece

i am tired of all these rusbish, i am waisiting my time andf mone
Ok i will try and take the form to my staff members, once i get the form filled, i am not ready to fill another form, make sure that this is all the forms, i am going to fill them and once i get them done, i will not fill another form
If you see how i was insulted in the western union office, you will pitty me - nope you're wrong there pal
moosewinkle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Star A Star wrote:
^that is where you have to be very careful, there is a difference between available for use and totally cleared. The funds may be available to you in your account but that does not mean that the check has cleared it could well be 4 to 6 weeks before it is discovered to be false

eta: either rip it up on arrival or hand it to the bank/law enforement stating that it is a fake or scribble fake across it in crayon and stick it on your office wall /fridge as a conversation piece

Thanks for the detailed explanation. All makes sense. I need to try and bait this person. I hope at some stage I will get an email from him in my bait collector account.
Caligula
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

moosewinkle wrote:

Is there a way I can get thier Yahoo account closed?

Yes, there is a way but we don't think that's the right thing to do. It might be a better plan to go over at our sister site www.scamwarners.com, and post all details up there you have about them. That way other potential victims who happen to google that email adress find out they are being scammed. When you close him down, he'll just get another email addy and get on with the job - you probably know how easy it is to create a new account, and he can't be tracked down until he falls in the hands of one of us again..

Going Gold?
Post scripts at scamwarners!
Kill a fake site today!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic