SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Interview with the scammer

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The article below refers to this longer article which interviews a couple of scammers.
Quote:
Most of us have been solicited by 419 scammers from Nigeria, so we understand how the swindle works. I’ve wondered about the people behind the con, but never found much written about them. That is until now.

——————————————————————————————————————

Karin Brulliard, a Washington Post Staff Writer released a fascinating article, providing an in-depth view of what it is like to be a cyber-con artist or yahoo-yahoo boy as they are known in Nigeria.

419 swindling is so much a part of the Nigerian culture, there are songs written about it. One song “Yahoozee” became especially popular when former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell danced with the Yahoozee Boys in London.

It’s big business

Brulliard featured Felix and Banjo, two colorful yet quiet yahoo-yahoo boys in her article:

“In the lingo of swindlers, Felix said he went “on the street.” He got “tools”: formats, or “FMs,” for letters; “mailers,” or accounts that send e-mails in bulk; and huge lists of e-mail addresses, bought online.

In good months, he said, he has made $30,000, which he blew on clothes, hotel rooms and Dom Perignon at “VVIP” clubs.”

Banjo went on to describe their favorite fraud:

“The work-from-home scam, which authorities warn is flourishing as the world sheds jobs. In U.S. newspapers and on the Web, he places ads for “pickup agents” or “correspondents.” They print out counterfeit corporate checks — Honeywell is one company whose checks Banjo said he faked — at $10 apiece and mail them to other unsuspecting folks.

Those victims then cash the checks and wire the funds to the scammer’s accomplice in Britain or South Africa — places less likely to elicit the sender’s suspicion. After taking a cut, that person wires the rest to Banjo. Days later, when the bank deems the check phony, the casher must pay.

In good months, Banjo said, he has made $60,000.”

Somewhat ironic

Brulliard’s writing captivated me, I started envisioning these two men being casted in a Yahoo-Yahoo version of “The Sting“, and then there was mention of a special tool:

“But in these tough times, the scammers said, they are relying more on a crucial tool: voodoo. At times, Banjo said, he has traveled six hours to the forest, where a magician sells scam-boosters. A $300 powder supposedly helps scammers “speak with authority” when demanding payment. A powder, rubbed on the face, reportedly makes victims viewing the scammer through webcams powerless to say no.”

That was a twist I didn’t expect.

Final thoughts

Edited 11 Aug 2009: My intent was not to cast a negative shadow on any nationality. If you look at statistics, the United States (my home country) ranks number one in electronic swindling. I was only trying to pass on information about the people behind the 419 e-mails from Nigeria.

Purple Flower
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic