SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Article: Who's behind those Nigerian email scams?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
HarvestMoon
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From this website: http://www.ethiopianreview.com/articles/19294

Quote:
Ethiopian News Forum

Who's behind those Nigerian email scams?
Posted by Desta Bishu | July 30th, 2009 at 5:13 am |

LAGOS, Nigeria — Remember that Nigerian prince who contacted you a few months back, saying he’d pay you to help transfer his inheritance to the United States?

All he needed was your bank account details, and you’d be well on the way to riches — or at least on the way to seeing your riches siphoned off to an enterprising Nigerian.

Chances are that email was sent from a console somewhere in Festac Town, a quiet, ramshackle suburb of Lagos, Nigeria. Here, a cluster of net cafes are rumored in Lagos’ press to be some of the last holdouts against a Nigerian federal crackdown on the country’s email scammers.

In the last two years, the Electronic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of Nigeria has been putting scammers in jail. The commission has invited journalists on a successful high-profile operation to apprehend a scamming ring and has helped foil Nigerian-led groups that ran multimillion-dollar fraud schemes. In a 2007 report, the EFCC said it handled more than 18,000 advanced-fee fraud cases, a six-fold increase in just four years.

Now, even the net cafes in Festac are feeling the heat.

Festac Town was once a posh, park-lined suburb of low apartment buildings that the Nigerian government built in 1977, during the country’s first oil boom, to house participants in the Second World Black and African Festival of Arts and Culture. The festival drew tens of thousands from around the world, and Festac remained an upscale, desirable neighborhood until the 1980s.

But in the 1980s and 1990s, Festac deteriorated, and its wealthier residents left for newer neighborhoods. Soon it was flooded with educated, jobless youths hanging on to the bottom edge of Lagos’s middle class. These young people now populate the internet cafes. Like Festac Town’s apartment buildings, they were made for a future of far more promise.

One cafe, Steadylink Communication, is a dimly lit, third-floor place with unfinished plywood cubicles. Signs on the walls warn that the EFCC is watching. Some customers look rankled by the presence of a foreigner with a notepad.

But while the EFCC efforts may be making people jumpy, they haven’t stopped the scammers. The Internet Crime and Complaint Center (IC3), a U.S. federal body that tracks crime on the web, actually reported an increase last year in the percentage of internet crimes in the United States perpetrated by Nigerians. For years, the IC3 has ranked Nigeria as the No. 3 source of internet crimes in the world, behind the United States and the United Kingdom. But internet penetration in Nigeria is less than 7 percent. That means Nigerian scammers are particularly prolific.

Cons prey not only on victims’ naivete but also their greed — common scams include a request to facilitate a bank transfer of ill-gotten money. With a global pool to fish from, scammers only need a tiny percentage of people to take the bait.

The EFCC may not have stopped these scams, but the campaign has made a strong impression on cafe owners. Prince Kenneth Okonedo, the managing director of Steadylink, sounds like he’s answered questions about scams before.

Okonendo says that the telltale sign of a scammer at work is that a vast amount of similar, template text will pass through the cafe’s ISP — an indication of bulk spamming.

“If we catch someone doing illegal things on their computers, we kick them out,” he said. “If they come back, then we don’t serve them, because we know their face.”

“There is always someone stubborn,” he added with a smile. “If that happens, we can call troops to come and take them.” He said he has taken those measures a couple of times, though he can’t describe a specific instance.

Next door to Steadylink is the more upscale King’s Net Cafe. Natural light floods the room from three sides, there’s a pool table in one corner and an employee wearing a blue polo emblazoned with the cafe’s name serves soft drinks. The clientele — almost entirely young men — chat, surf and shoot eight ball.

Manager Ope Loye laughs sheepishly when asked if he knows the hit Nigerian rap tune “Yahooze,” in which singer Olu Maintain celebrates the high-rolling life of an email scammer. Loye says hardly anyone tries to scam at his cafe.

“Once they come in, we start monitoring, and if they are doing anything with cut and paste or anything like that, we ask them to leave.”

Still, it’s easy to imagine that some of the young men at the cafe might have a hard time resisting temptation. No matter how much the EFCC clamps down, the underlying causes of the scam epidemic remain. Nigeria boasts a huge pool of relatively well educated, jobless youth.

Ayo Olagunju, a software designer and financial analyst who grew up in Festac, would like to see government programs that help young scammers become legitimate entrepreneurs. He says internet crime is just as damaging to Nigeria as it is to naive foreign victims.

“I’m in the financial industry, and a deal I should just talk through over dinner, you have to word it and get lawyers to convince them you’re not fake,” he said. “It’s affecting people who are genuine.”

By Eamon Kircher-Allen | globalpost

"You must really think i am a fool.God punish you for taking me for a joke" Dead George
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
some of the last holdouts against a Nigerian federal crackdown on the country’s email scammer

Is there an aisle handy? I need to roll in it Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, my aching ribs...

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The attitude of senior Nigerian politicians has allowed 419 scamming to snowball to such an extent that it even involves the counterfeiting of cheques and currency. It can no longer be justified or laughed off as some colonial revenge or justifiable 'game'.

It's developing into organised crime which is proliferating into every corner of the internet. When I used to work in international banking the fact was that any document including the word Nigeria was a fraud or counterfeit, and it was policy never to open an account for a Nigerian student, and this was not racially motivated. I don't know how they manage nowadays but it is a crying shame that one country should allow its reputation to become so closely associated with fraud without taking positive action.

The UK got itself a bad reputation over soccer hooliganism and took very positive steps to stamp it out. The Nigerian government should learn from that.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One hears that thousands of them have moved to Ghana because it is easier to work from there!

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes devil_woman, it's amazing to discover that many of the scammers working in countries close to Nigeria, are actually Nigerian. When they mail Mr G0mer that's usually the first thing they tell him, I presume as a way to suggest that they are competent at 419 work.

Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ GomerPyle

So do you think they in fact emigrated because life was getting too hot in Nigeria?

I heard there is a place in Accra where the Nigerians are openly producing forgeries, has Gomer got into this market yet? Silly stuff for the scammers to send to victims to alert them perhaps?

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
So do you think they in fact emigrated because life was getting too hot in Nigeria?

I think they emigrated because they realised the perception of Nigeria had gone through the floor, and they would stand a better chance of successful scamming if they could claim to be from Benin, Ghana, or Togo.

It's worth noting that many of those countries don't like Nigerians, possible for this very reason.

Benin is particularly unfriendly towards Lads, who in turn don't like going there at all.

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wright B Hindyou tto right my lad would not go there to collect £1000

Quote:
Benin is particularly unfriendly towards Lads, who in turn don't like going there at all.

Quote:
a better chance of successful scamming if they could claim to be from Benin, Ghana, or Togo.

IP addresses confirm thet they are in Ghana.

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Russian models always fly in to Cotonou airport. Very Happy

The border crossing from Nigeria may not be the worst in Africa, but it's bad enough with delays and risks, and at times, there have been massed fights between Nigerians and Beninites.

Shorty always claimed that one of his pals was shot at the airport there and I think that any Nigerian hanging around will be treated with suspicion and animosity. He was also thrown out of a hotel there too.

The fact that most Nigerians won't speak French, the local language, means they'll find it hard to hide their identity.

All in all it's the perfect 'must go' destination for all Nigerian 419 scammers. Very Happy

Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My favourite venue is the Au Jardin Helvetia Cotonou..

Long established, and about 20km beyond Cotonou from the Nigerian side, it is just the sort of place a wealthy European might choose.

Plus, the surf is notoriously dangerous, so if your bait requires you to conveniently drown, this is a top spot.

dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to say the $imba $afari Camps are en excellent way to get your lads out of Lagos and into a hostile country. Parakou is a nice destination for your lads as they will have spent a considerable amount of time on buses before they wake up and smell the day old coffee. Some have wandered al the way up to the park!

Its so good to hear that they hav 419 controlled down to one small hold out. I am sure that, anyday now, they will stamp it out completely, thus depriving us of a fun hobby. Rolling Eyes

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic