SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craig's List Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
King of the Americas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm new here, so please forgive me, if this subject already has a thread dedicated to it. *I couldn't find a forum search field.

---

I needed to sell my 99 Eclipse, so I posted an ad on a popular website:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

The ad-

// edit - removed link to your ad, OD

Within a couple of hours, I already had a potential buyer, so I 'thought'.

Here's a general warning to all Craig's List sellers:

Common signs of a scammer if two or more of these are present:
• The name of the item is not mentioned. They just say “your item”.
• The word “advert” instead of ad is used replying to U.S. ads.
• They offer to send a certified check.
• They are from out of town or “on vacation” but can’t live without your item so they want it shipped.
• They did not ask about condition or ask any critical questions but are “satisfied with the price”.
• They offer you extra for your time or convenience or working with their shipper or ask that you use overage to pay shipper.
• They ask you to withdraw the ad.
• Say they will have a “secretary”, shipper, or other representative make the arrangements.
• They ask for name, address and telephone number.
• They express U.S. money with dollar sign at end (500$ instead of $500).
• They are located in Nigeria (always a scam).
• They have terrible writing/grammar skills and their choice of words seems odd.

My potential buyer hit "8" out of 12...

He 'claimed' that his secretary mailed me a check, not for $1750 (the price I listed in my ad), but for $4600. 'I' was supposed to cash this check, and Western Union the remainder to his 'mover' who would then pick up the car.

The whole thing sounded "hinke", and that's when I stumbled onto the Craig's List Forum, where I found the above warning, along with TONS of other posters who are well versed in this scam.

So, I am here, wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this with C.L., and to pose the question- "Why isn't law enforcement all over this kind of stuff?" Checks and money transfers are 'easy' to track, right?

If someone sends you a check, and you are supposed to cash it, and moneygram the remainder somewhere else, wouldn't it be easy to check the account for available funds? If they aren't there, that's theft by check, and you could easily post an officer at the place they wanted the money transfered to...?

Pick them up, and offer them a plea to roll over on their partners.

This seems like Cop 101 stuff, to me.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater KoA. That is a classic overpayment scam. They send you more money than you need in the form of a fake check, you cash it, and by the time the bank tells you it was fake and owe the whole balance, you already wired the lad a few grand. Since the money can be picked up anywhere with an MTCN they can get away with it sad to say.

Edit: oh, and I also removed the link to your ad, you don't want anything here linking back to you. Since you are aware they are scammers, it is best to stop all contact with them.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
King of the Americas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mod edit - removed full quote of post above - SP

Are you familiar with "Craig's List"?

IT, or 'the site' didn't try to scam me, an independent buyer/poser did.

The ad I linked is a 'new' ad that I had to create, since I deleted the older one after I 'thought' I had a solid buyer...

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I realize that Craig's List didn't try to scam you, a lad did.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
King of the Americas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mod edit - removed full quote of post above - SP

(Forgive my newbie question, then why delete the link to the ad? Admittedly, I didn't fully read the rules for the forum, and so I don't know if posting such an "advertisement" is against the posting rules or not.)

---

So, why couldn't law enforcement "flag" a money transfer, if they knew said funds were stolen?

Then as soon as someone shows up to claim the cash, Western Union notifies the police...

It seems like an easy collar.

Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KotA, ref your first point; the logic is that Lads visit this site on occasion, and they might find out who you are by following the link. The mods discourage the posting of any RL info for that reason.

As for the Western Union suggestion - can't work; WU can be picked up literally anywhere. You may be told to send money to Mr X in NYC, but the Lad can pick it up in (say) Lagos; and the WU agent in Lagos, who might well take payola for not asking too many questions, isn't going to call the police.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And the check the lad sends you is not sent by him but by a "mule" - someone he has convinced to send fake checks out for him. Sometimes these mules know they are participating in a scam, and sometimes they think they are working for a company as an Accounts Payable person.

So, because the scammer is hiding behind fake details, finding him (it's usually a man, whatever he tells you he is) is nearly impossible. The American/British/whatever police have no jurisdiction in the country where the scammer is sitting in an internet cafe running his scams, and the local police there are either powerless or corrupt. So he continues scamming with impunity. Evil or Very Mad

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If someone sends you a check, and you are supposed to cash it, and moneygram the remainder somewhere else, wouldn't it be easy to check the account for available funds?

If it were that simple, the scams wouldn't work in the first place--the check would be refused before anyone sent any money. The checks may use real phished account info--and the owner may be unaware that his/her account is compromised. The account may have the money to cover the check, so the check won't be rejected until the account owner realizes there are inappropriate transactions on his/her account--but by then the bank has paid out cash, the victim thinks the check has "cleared" and the scammer has the money.

Quote:
If they aren't there, that's theft by check, and you could easily post an officer at the place they wanted the money transfered to...?

If the victim sends the money to a recipient another country, the odds of police in that country getting involved are about as high as those of winning the (real) lottery. The amount of money involved is not great enough to justify the cost and red tape needed for an international operation.

If the money is sent within the country, (e.g. US to US transfer), it is still unlikely that any police department is going to allocate resources to a sting operation. First, as mentioned above, if the scammer has the right contacts in WU (i.e. a corrupt employee) , he will collect the money from another country. Second, even if the person picking the money up is in the US, where is this stakeout going to occur? Money can be picked up at any WU office in a geographical area. I just went to WU, did a search of my (fairly small town) zip code, and found 50 locations within 22 miles of mine. In a big city, it would take an even smaller radius to find 50 WU agents. There is no way the police can cover that many places--that would require a huge operation, which won't happen for a theft of a few hundred or even a few thousand bucks.

So the scammer continues from his cafe in Africa and moves on to the next victim...

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mod edit, no need to quote the full post above, use @ member name to address you reply to a certain member, cheers - SP

Wow...I'm left a little speechless. I've never encountered one of these 'networks', first hand.

I feel more than a little foolish for nibbling at their hook, at all.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
feel more than a little foolish for nibbling at their hook

Don't feel foolish! You were savvy enough to know something didn't sound right, and didn't fall for the scam! Very Happy
King of the Americas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mod edit, no need to quote the full post above, use @ member name to address you reply to a certain member, cheers - SP

Now, I just want to catch the greedy sons-a-bitches...

Tell me more of this "scambaiting"...'trap setting'?

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KofA, we have many different forums here dedicated the scams these lads play. You may wish to consider looking around and get involved in wasting a lad's precious time. We have fun here but we also take this very seriously. We are only the ones who have the time and resources to handle this crap from around the world, and perhaps around the corner.

K

U ARE A MAGA and dat you wil be for life stupid ashole. You are just wasting your fucking time and If care is not taking i will hunt you and ur family down with serious thunder if i go to my villlage for d charm.It ill only cost me a bututs to prepare the charm and it will struck you andb ur entire household down. I think it is time i make you a scape goat to others whose grand parents riped our fore-fathers of all their cash crops and other valuable resources. YOU WILL SURELY BE A MADE A SCAPE GOAT I BET MY LIFE ON THIS! WATCH OUT! WATCH OUT!! WATCH OUT!!!.
King of the Americas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SURE! I've got some extra time to spend... It seems like a worthy endeavor.

First things first, why are they referred to as "Lads"?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's short for "Lads from Lagos", although they aren't all resident there of course.
I don't know where the phrase originated.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
King of the Americas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, how many leads have you guys gathered? Has anyone even began estimating their numbers? How many IP addresses have been gathered?

How much, if any information has been gathered about these people?

OR

Are you guys just trying to trip them up?

Either way, I am on board!

---

I reposted the ad, and within 2 hours, wah-lah another offer.

"PHONE PLEASE"

from a "Latisha Salizar", but no number.

I responded, "Cash in-hand = Car & Title".

2 days later, no response.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ King of the Americas, take a moment to view my edits of your posts above Wink

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For handy scam reference, you can go here http://www.419scam.org/419scam.htm for a list of about every kind of scam, and all on one page.

As for the origin of "Lad"....quite awhile ago I saw a poem someone posted here. It was about the ill doings of someone, and the excuse given for his behavior was always "He's just a lad". Anyone know what I mean? Confused
Jack The Tripper
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I feel ya man. Put an ad up advertising my services as a freelance photographer and I've gotten three hits from lads already. One is offering a deal to work for an oil company (what, photographing rigs? lol), another mentioned them being with a local company but making no mention of who they are, any business contacts, and the "recruitment quiz" they sent me included going to some consumer website. The last wants me to drive his wife from the airport for their honeymoon (I made no mention of transportation, but suffice it to say I have none of my own).

Quote:
Hi,

I recently looked at your post on the web which was listed on 2009-08-02 with the heading Freelance Photographer at the following url: [I removbe link to protect myself] We are now looking to hire a person with your skills in our louisville office.

We are looking for high quality individuals to fill this spot. Because of the amount of responses that we expect to receive we are asking that all candidates take our online quiz to help us in finding the best candidate.

The website for the quiz is located here.

Thanks,

HR

Quote:
Hello
We are newly married couples visiting the city for our Honeymoon and
summer and, we will be needing service of a good driver,My name is
Larry and I live here in State.Actually am the only one in the town,
You will be the one to pick my wife up at the airport down to me here
and I have informed her also concerning the pick up and for other
purpose which she might need you for . I believe you are fit for this
position in as much you will prove yourself as a reliable and good
person. Her arrival date is aug 20th. I will prefer you have your car
ready & available,but if you don't have a car,i will provide a car for
you.I am offering you $400 and $100 for a gas.
Also I want you to know that my client will be sending you the payment
will be in excess. You're to deduct your salary & the remaining funds
will be use by my wife for her travel expenses, accommodations and any
other expenses, Get back to me with the
following details of yours
Your full name..................
Your Home Address...........
City.....
State..........
Zip Code..............
Your phone number..........................
Get back to me on time with your details so that the payment can be
issue on your name and sent to your address overnight.Thank you for
your co-operation and i'll be looking forward to hearing back from you
as soon

The first one I can't find, I may have deleted it. Nigerian English? Check on the honeymooners. Pay in excess? Check. Asking for my contact details? Check. Vague opportunity with an unnamed company that is local but with no contact information? Check check check.

Edit: Found the first one, I had moved it to spam.

Quote:
Good Day.

How are you doing? I hope you're having a pleasant day !

I'd receive your e-mail.. I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this point as i based in New York .

Please note that this position is not office based for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time, work from home basis and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week.If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side.

I worked at a Oil Rig Company and we import and export crude oil to the neighborhood countries, so i personally need a Personal Assistant in the country that can take good care of my contacts and e-mails in case if I'm out of the country.

As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually as i want you to always check your e-mail at least every 6 hours for details on this position.

Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine.. I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us.

I'd want us to meet up on Yahoo chat as soon as possible so we can discuss this extensively, more so it's easier for me to convey information's once I'm online.. My Yahoo ID is , [email protected] It may be a little difficult working out the time difference between us initially, with time however, we should get used to it.

I'm online most of the time when I'm not out or in a meeting so we should be able to have a chat sooner than you think. Do try to keep a date.

I am glad you are willing to work with me and i promise to be a good boss.I am also glad on the commitment in working.

I have been checking my files and what i would want you to do for me by next week is to run some errands out to an Orphanage,You will be making some donation to them as i always do every month..I just want to use this to test your efficiency and know how active you can work for me.

The donation will be in form of Money Order and it will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i have some list to email you once you received the funds,I guess you will make some arrangements by buying some stuff for the kids in the nearest store around you and mail them out to any given information i provide for you or you will send the funds in cash to them..

I will get you more information on that.

I will like you to get back to me with your Contact Details such as:

Full Name:
Full Contact Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
Sex:
Martial:
Once i received your contact information i will get back to you with the task for this week, Understand you will also be paid as soon as you pass this first assignment, You will be paid ($500) at the end of the week.

I won't be able to call you due to my hard hearings this days as i need to see a specialist for my hear-drum soonest but i can relay call.

You can just view the website on http://www.shell.com

Hope i am clear with that.

Get back as soon as possible..

Kate, Rove.

That one looks like a check fraud scheme and i may have seen it before on this site. What's a poor starving artist to do?

Note: I'm using Gmail so it strips IPs from headers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic