SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

So close to being a victim until I checked here. Double SCAM

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with what Gomer said. He'll move on to someone else in a hurry.

Most of these lads have a mortal fear of law enforcement and check lads seem to be particularly cowardly and skittish in that regard.

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here for dirty nasty pr0n!!1]</a>
pony pony pony
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x6
Star
sir scam alot
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you would be so kind as to send me his phone number, I will be more than happy to make him regret his actions.

Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkwerre: Port Harcourt to Abeche, Chad
Safari2 = Barr. Mustapha Marlick: Lome, Togo to Abuja Nigeria and Accra, Ghana.
pony Mortar x15 (some survived) Closed lad accounts x280 T.W.A.T Nurse Nastys Audi TT United States
<b>Have you kicked your lad today?<b>
Over $1 million USD in fake checks/money orders confiscated Easter Egg
armysurplus1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Updating this Thread:

TWO ARRESTED IN SCAM: Two Dover residents were arrested this weekend for allegedly scamming people and businesses in various states for more than $13,000, police said. Tena Abernathy, 51, and John Moore, 57, both of Mast Circle, face felony charges after Wisconsin police contacted Delaware authorities to report a scam the two had going on Craigslist, said state police spokesman Jeff Whitmarsh. The pair allegedly sent a check for more than the price of a car listed on the Web site, telling the seller the check included a portion he should send back via Money Gram, Whitmarsh said. After sending the money, the seller found out the check was counterfeit and no one picked up the car. Police said victims were found in Wisconsin, Florida, Tennessee and Kentucky. Both suspects are charged with eight counts of felony theft by false pretenses, two counts of misdemeanor theft by false pretenses and two counts of unlawful use of a credit card, and were released after posting $20,000 bond. Police are asking anyone with information to call Troop 3 Financial Crimes Unit at 697-4454.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090727/NEWS05/907270324

My guess is that they are innocent mules. Tena was receiving the funds and sending them on to the scammer. The real scammer is safe and well in Nigeria (according to the OP). These are victims just as much as the people who sent money to them. Instead of losing money, they get a criminal record for fraud. John's only crime seems to be the misfortune to live with a fraud victim.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ How do you figure that? I did some snooping and everything points to them setting up this operation for their own benefit. I really don't see any of the typical mule tells.

EDIT: http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=10794671

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

huckleberry wrote:
I checked the header and the email originated from nigeria

With mules there are levels of innocence and guilt, but I don't see any evidence that these two are guilty of anything more than falling for a scam. The credit card fraud would be part of that. The scammer gets the stuff delivered to their house and they ship it on to Nigeria. See the "To Catch an ID Thief" documentary (This episode shows the mule), which investigated an identical set-up.

When the police come calling it looks cut and dried - the Moneygram transfers lead to them and the credit cards lead to them.

I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14

NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The MoneyGram part of it I get. What passes off as unmulish is this:

Quote:
As the investigation continued and more cases were linked together, detectives say they learned that in April and May, 51-year-old Tena Abernathy, and her accomplice, 57-year-old John T. Moore, both of Dover, had compromised multiple credit cards and began to make various online purchases primarily for office equipment.

I realize that we don't have the whole story and we certainly don't have their side of the story, but that part doesn't seem to benefit a Nigerian 419er too much.

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If the equipment was printers, check paper, and that special ink for printing checks, it would make sense. The scammer possibly gave them the details of a compromised credit card so they could purchase what they need to print the checks. They could also be purchasing and re-shipping to other victims/mules.

We dont, of course, know the whole story, and it's possible that they've branched out on their own once they saw how "easy" it was, but I still think they at least initially were victims.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ If it really goes that deep, then these "mules" are just as responsible as the scammers (or almost, at least).

You can't possibly tell me that they were doing all of this stuff and had no idea that it was criminal.

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I can. Watch the video.

The mule is a long-term victim, usually of the romance variety.

Their lover/lad says he (or she) is operating a business that requires shipment of parcels.

The lad buys the goods with stolen cards for delivery to the mule. The only address on record is the mule's. So far as the shop or the police can see, the mule has ordered the goods. In fact the first time the mule knows about the package is when it turns up on their doorstep.

The mule ships the goods to their lover in Africa. So far as they are concerned, everything is perfectly legal. They are just helping their lover get around a difficulty in shipping the packages direct.

Similarly, the lads get check victims to WU the money to the mule, and the mule sends it on to their lover. Or maybe the lad gets the mule to send money for the standard hospital/hotel/visa fees, and then pays back the mule using a check victim. That way the mule trusts that any money they send is eventually repaid. Or maybe the WU pays the shipping charges for the packages.

Some mules do know that they are breaking the law. Some of them are into printing checks and so forth. Even then many check printers think they are printing valid checks. But I see no evidence that this pair was even doing that. So far as I can see, the police followed the delivery addresses to their door and nailed them for the entire scam. I really hope that they look deeper.

Cellphone x14

NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is interesting. In all fairness, I'll admit I've not watched the video yet but shall do so at my next available interval.

As for the mules that know they are breaking the law (regardless of whether that is the case with these two), I don't believe they deserve a slap on the wrist. If you know that you are committing a crime but are doing it anyway, then to hell with you. Simply put: actus reus + mens rea = no excuse and no mercy. But I do believe I've begun treading the fine line between 419 discussion and politics, so I'll kick it down a notch.

foxhat
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Both suspects were released on a $20,000 unsecured bond.

Hmm...

lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spot on, thud.

thud419 wrote:
Yes I can. Watch the video.

The mule is a long-term victim, usually of the romance variety.

Their lover/lad says he (or she) is operating a business that requires shipment of parcels.

The lad buys the goods with stolen cards for delivery to the mule. The only address on record is the mule's. So far as the shop or the police can see, the mule has ordered the goods. In fact the first time the mule knows about the package is when it turns up on their doorstep.

The mule ships the goods to their lover in Africa. So far as they are concerned, everything is perfectly legal. They are just helping their lover get around a difficulty in shipping the packages direct.

Similarly, the lads get check victims to WU the money to the mule, and the mule sends it on to their lover. Or maybe the lad gets the mule to send money for the standard hospital/hotel/visa fees, and then pays back the mule using a check victim. That way the mule trusts that any money they send is eventually repaid. Or maybe the WU pays the shipping charges for the packages.

Some mules do know that they are breaking the law. Some of them are into printing checks and so forth. Even then many check printers think they are printing valid checks. But I see no evidence that this pair was even doing that. So far as I can see, the police followed the delivery addresses to their door and nailed them for the entire scam. I really hope that they look deeper.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
armysurplus1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a woman and a man arrested at that address for the scams. From the arrest photos, obviously neither are Nigerian. If it is a love scam, which one is the lover/mule? I would guess the female, so how is the male involved? I think they were both complicit in the scams and knew what was going on, even if they were mules.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic