SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Not sure if this is a scam or not...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ultimadrift
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Im new got this website from a friend and I wanted to clear things up with you experts
So Im selling my camcorder on craigslist and this person emailed me through it.

There is 2 email addresses that is being used seems to be related.
[email protected]
[email protected]

This is the email conversation we had
Quote:

Dear,
I got your mail.
The price is ok by me,I reside in Utah but needs to purchase for my Son that travelled to West africa for his international studies,he is with his mother who was transfered to work at the united states embassy in west Africa and i want to send him a birthday gift because his birthday is coming up soon..I would have come to pick it up myself but because of distance and nature of my work as a medical doctor at Mormon Tabernacle Choir extension in South Utah,my days are always busy.Pls if you do have a paypal account,provide it to me so that I Make the payment to you.Or your full contact address,full name,zip code,city,state and your country aswell if you wish to receive the money through money order,i can send it straight to your residence.I will be paying you the total of $650 for both the cost price and the shipping...[Please i need the information fast so that your payment will reach you before tommorrow to enable you ship the Packages fast.
Thanks for anticipation.

My reply
Do you want it shipped to Utah? I believe that is the only way I can ship. My paypal is xxxx. Provide me with your address and it will be shipped out today as soon as I get the money

He just wrote back

pls i just want you to mail it to my son in west Africa.pls can you do that for me?get back to now so that i will send the money.thanks

He seems very urgent about shipping. Im not sure if its a scam or not. Thanks in advance Very Happy Also if this is the wrong part of the forums feel free to move it
Merry Widow
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, is a scam.
It could be a check scam: he will send you the check, you cash the check and Western Union money to the 'shipper' and then the check bounces. You are out the entire amount, usually around $2,500.

Or, he 'sends' you money via paypall or another 'escrow' service, he emails you a fake receipt or screen shot, you send the item and pay for the shipping yourself and then the money never shows up. You are out the item and the money.

Either way, it is a scam. He has your real life information, so just stop emailing him and he will go away.

Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pure scam.

The Paypal account will probably be stolen. The money order/check will be stolen. Either ways you lose. They stress urgency in order to fluster victims.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
frank.lester
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi, this sounds very much like the others scams, reported from people selling stuff at Craigslist.

On top of this page, next to " Profile " there is also a " Search " - Button, for search on Eater- pages. If you search for e.g. craigslist , I am sure you will find similar modalites discussed.

And as this person has maybe your RL-email-address, you would not like to bait with your email-account.

--
edit - fraank. is a sloow typer !!

Last edited by frank.lester on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimadrift
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep I agree. Good thing he only has my paypal account he can't do anything. Thanks everyone for the reply.
rageofthehippos
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey, I had someone try to access my paypal account a few years ago and they managed to lock it. It is an absolute pain to try to re-open them so you might be better off transfering any funds you have in out as soon as you can.
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
nature of my work as a medical doctor at Mormon Tabernacle Choir extension in South Utah

I didn't know the Mormon Tabernacle Choir had a hospital. Wink

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
frank.lester
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I didn't know the Morm...

..and every minute there is unveiled another piece of universal truth und wisdom., here on Eater.
live.
newbie2009
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well, my experiece with this email id <[email protected]> is similar except that he first dropped me a blank email when he saw my add on craig, and then when i asked , he sent me the same text which u pasted.

I could sense easily that this is for sure scam, since he mentioned he is a Doctor but still insisted on purchasing a second hand item from me Smile

I am not sure how this scam works, how is he able to undo the payment if its already transfered into the account. nevertheless, U can blindly ignore him. hope it helps u n others.

regards

Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^newbie 2009 - since the cheque will be fake (see Merry Widow's post above) there is no payment for the scammer to recover.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good catch ultimadrift, and welcome to Eater.

It is a scam as you thought. It doesn't even pass the "gut" test. It just feels wrong, including the items mentioned above. Why would someone buy an item for $650, sight unseen, and have you send it for him across the ocean?

Well if you were desperate for funds, you might fall for this. He would give you some fake form of payment proof, steal your paypal account and the item would be on the way ot a vacant lot in Lagos.

Another thing to do is search the email address or the "story" he has told you. I'll bet you come up with the same script used by others.

Do drop him and make changes to your Paypal account because he has real life information about you.

Be safe! Very Happy

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
BobCat
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Most likely the lad will send you a fake e-mail that appears to have come from Paypal. The e-mail will say something like: You've received your payment, but it won't be released to you until you ship it and reply to the e-mail with your tracking number.

Of course, there is no payment, and paypal does not work like this anyway - its is a payment service, not an escrow service.

One can avoid being scammed by simply logging into your paypal account and verifying that no payment has been sent.

If I get something like this I'd say to the lad I did not get the payment so please send the payment already.

" I THINK WE HAVE TO PUT END TO THIS GAME,AND REASON WHY I SAID THIS IS BECAUSE I CAN NOT CONTINUE WITH GOING TO WESTERN UNION" Dr Bens0n
"DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKE TO GET A MAGA IS NOT EASY MAN, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE CAUSE ME FOR TWO WEEKS NOW I CAN PAY MY HOUSE RENT THEY ARE ABOUT TO SEND MY FAMILY OUT OF THE HOUSE WE LIVE" Dr @d3kun13 Bens0n
"I THOUGHT I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU WANTED WHY ARE YOU STRESSING US OUT." - Mu$@ H0us3

Closed lad accounts x 24 United Kingdom x1 Cellphone x2
Jeff
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
[email protected]
[email protected]

These names just cry lad!! Especially with craigslist
Lucy Mark, two Christian names so favoured by lads and Henry ARtkins from a corruption of Atkins.
The hairs on the back of my neck would rise and alarm bells would ring but I'm a cynical baiter Laughing
Now I'll read the thread Smile
Edit.
Thread read no cred. Laughing
Welcome by the way.

IF IT IS TRUE YOU ARE WRITING AND PAYING TO WHO I DONT KNOW I MUST MAKE SURE I CUT YOUR THROAT,ARE YOU STUPID?CANT YOU READ?IS THAT MY EMAIL?ARE YOU CRAZY?ARE YOU MAD?ARE YOU AN IMBECILE?YOU PAYED TO HIM AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT YOU PAYED HIM MONEY,IS THAT MY EMAIL?FUCK YOUR WIFE AND SCREEW YOUR KIDS,IDIOT AND HOPLESS HUMAN BEING LIKE YOU.DIE AND ROT IN HELL
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
Hong Kong France x2 Canada United States x2 United Kingdom x32 Ghana x12 Benin x2 Ivory Coast x2 cameroon Malaysia x7 Russia Spain x9 Netherlands Nigeria x7 Kenya Senegal Togo
pony GoatPretty Rose
Pith Helmet Accra to Tamale with Professor so/so
Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts x25or more
MikeandLouise
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems as though Craigs List is a great way to bait fake cheques lads.

I will have to 'sell' my old laptop and see what happens lol.
Maybe I can get some more fake cheques off the streets.

Closed lad accounts x7
Fake cheques collected = €3000, $2000, £4000

'Cheating is not in our blood as we Muslim’s besides it’s against Islamic law, it’s only Africa people that cheat'. - Mr. Saleem Al Farra

'What kind of game is this? I went to the bank this afternoon to cash out the Money, the cashier then told me that it was a fake payment. you make me look stupid right in front of responsible Men and Women'. - 0ke Edew0r
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic