SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Scammers should never target Stand-Ups with the Wedding Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sacapuntas
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
from Bob Maxwell <[email protected]>
to: me
date: Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 3:53 AM
subject: hello

Goodday,
My name is Bob, i am preparing for my wedding which will come up on the 15th of august 2009.. by 10;00am here in 124th Avenue Miami, Florida 33183 , As i was searching for the best comedian to make the day a memorable day for me and my wife. I saw your advert and i am really impressed about your performance.. and you are going to start by 12:00pm and end 2:00pm, How much will you collect if you are to entertain my guess with the travel expenses....i am having 50 guest for the day.

Hope to read back from you.

It was an odd email to receive but I've taken odder gigs. So I decided to play ball. Two hours of comedy sounded awful. I emailed to a couple other comics. They agreed that is was strange but said it wouldn't hurt to throw out a number.

Quote:
from me
to Bob Maxwell <[email protected]>
date Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for contacting me.

Where would the performance take place?

In an ideal setting, there would be a raised stage and lighting but I understand if that isn't possible.

At a bare minimum, I need a microphone (Shure SM58 would be great but not necessary) and a sound system. If you are getting a DJ, I'm sure they will have what I need.

"you are going to start by 12:00pm and end 2:00pm"
Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but are you looking for two hours of comedy?

In this scenario, I would suggest an hour of comedy.

My rate for an hour show would be $1,200 plus flight and hotel accommodations (with a 50% deposit given upon an agreed date). I will provide a local comedian as an opening act.

Again, if you were looking for more comedy (ie...2 hours). I could also find a feature act and the show would be about one and a half hours. The host performing 15 minutes, the feature performing 30 and I would do 45 minutes. It's a proven formula for a great show but that could cost $1,500 - $2000 depending on the other performers. From my experience as a performer and a producer, people begin to lose interest if shows go beyond that point. I produce a monthly show in the city and I strive to get it down to one hour and fifteen minutes.

Again, thank you for contacting me and look forward to meeting you.

Best regards,
[redacted]

Quote:
to me
date Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM
subject hello.....

Thank you for the mail.......We are in france for shopping right now....I am ok with the amount and i have contacted my P.A to issue the amount of $3,000 for you and you will deduct your amount and help me send the remaing amount to the photographer that will shot the wedding and i will be back soon....Once i am back i will send you the ticket to come down to my place....I just want to make sure i pay and book for the day...

Get back to me with the full names where the Money Order will be send to...Hope to read back from you soon.

Bob

I saw P.A., $3,000 and France and thought that I low balled but as I re-read it. My Spidey-Senses went off. What the hell was going on? Why was this guy wanting me to pay a photographer. It didn't seem logical. Perhaps he was an eccentric millionaire and didn't have common sense. So I decided to proceed.

Quote:

from me
date Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:26 PM

You can send the check/money order to:
[redacted]

I can send you a web invoice if you would like.

Is the photographer here in NYC?

Excited to meet you and your wife.

Where in France? My girlfriend is from Paris (well...Belgium as well...and Switzerland...it's complicated)

Cheers

Quote:
to me
date Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM
subject Payment On The Way...

Hello...How are you doing?...I hope great..I will like to inform you that tha payment as been sent out to you by UPS courer.....Here is the tracking number ([redacted]) and your are getting it tomorrow....Let me know once you got it so that we can proceed.

Hope to read back from you soon.

Best Regards.

Bob

Once the misspelling and bad grammar started to occur, I knew I was duped. I saw it before but just figured English was his second language.

Quote:
from me
date Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM
subject Re: Payment On The Way...

I'll let you know when I receive it. Thanks for the heads up. I literally was just going to email you to follow-up.

I realized I will have to cancel a couple spots in the city for that day and wanted to confirm with you. Also wanted to lock down my airfare and accommodations now.

"I am ok with the amount and i have contacted my P.A to issue the
amount of $3,000 for you and you will deduct your amount and help me
send the remaing amount to the photographer that will shot the wedding
and i will be back soon"

Did you want me to deduct the airfare and hotel from the $3,000 or
just $1,200? How much am I giving to the photographer? Also, I need
the photographer's contact info.

Thanks,
Dan

At this point, I was trying to get as much info as I could to give to the FBI, police or IC3.gov.

Quote:
to me
date Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Hello.....Good to read back from you and i really appreciate it.....The payment is out for delivery right now and you will be recieving it in 10 to 15mins.....Once you recieve it i want you to deduct just $800 and have me book for the day and help me send the remaining amount to the photographer through western union this morning so that i can be book.

So i will be paying you the remianing amount for your service when you get to me ok....pls contact me as soon as you got the payment so that i can give you the name and address where you will have the money send to.

Best Regards.
Bob

Quote:
to me
date Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Dear Dan,
I just got off the phone with my P.A and he told me he tracked the payment and it has been delivered to you.

I am presently working on some footages here for the beautification of the ceremonial ground on the day so forgive me if i have not keep you posted lately on the payment procedure.

Kindly acknowledge the receipt of the payment,in the meantime,i will get in touch with the photographer for the info needed for you to send the partment fees to her to make the booking confirmed for us for the day.

Thank you so much and will wait to see you soon.

I will email you the photographer info as soon as i have it so you send the partment to her today so she can confirm booking for the day confirmed.

I like the nice touch of "footages here for the beautification of the ceremonial ground" to keep the lie alive.

Quote:
from me
date Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Thanks Bob

I've been in the city all day

Haven't been home.

I'm sure it's there

I'll email you once I get back

Quote:
to me
date Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM
subject Get Back...

Good to read back from you...Yes, Just deduct $800 and send the remaining amount to the photographer so that i can have her book...And you will receieve your full payment when you get to the wedding location...Here is the name and address of the photographer bellow and have the money send out to her today..

Name: xxxxxxxxxxx -removed info, may be a real victim -Ima
City: Madera
States: California

Pls get back to me as soon as you have the money sent to her.....And let me have the full details after you have the money send....Sender's name and money transfer control number (MTCN).

Best Regards.
Bob

Quote:

to me
date Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Thanks for the mail....Yes is there already and i want you to take care of the photographer money today so that i can have it book....Let me know if i should give you the photographer.

Best Regards.

Quote:
from me
date Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM

My buddy checked my mail.

He says there are two checks for $860.

How do you want me to contact your photographer?

He didn't even have the decency to send me the full fictitious amount of $3,000.

Quote:
to me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Hello Dan...What is going on....I have been waiting for your reply with the western union details so that i can forward that to the photographer and have her booked..Hope to hear back from you soon.

Bob

Quote:
from me <[email protected]>
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Hi Bob,

Just got in from a long day. Haven't been home since 10AM. I'm beat.

I'm a little confused what's happening.

I have the FedEx from James Barry from Rhode Island with money orders from CVS made by Bill Paul and now I'm suppose to send go to Western Union to send funds to a photographer in California.

I don't understand why you didn't just send the money directly to her sans me. I'm curious why you went through that trouble. I thought she lived here in NYC so it made sense. Now I'm just confused.

Will keep you posted.

I'll deposit it in my bank. Once the funds have cleared. I will forward the funds. Do you have the photographers email address and/or phone number so I can keep her apprised.

Thanks

At this point, I was getting annoyed.

Quote:
to me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:05 AM

Hi Dan....you don't need to be confused ok....My P.A sent you the money order maybe you don't really know about money order cos the name Bill Paul was the purchaser of the money order...You can have the money order cash in any store....The photographer lives in california cos someone told me about her and she's a professional....Just have the money send to her and get back to me.

Bob

Quote:
from me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Good Morning Bob,

Going to look at an apartment this morning. Will try find a CVS to cash out the money orders and find a Western Union. If I can't, I'll deposit them in my bank and once they clear I can send the funds (I'll try your method).

She doesn't have a bank account or PayPal account? It seems wasteful to send it via Western Union.

I'm still looking forward to performing in Miami but don't understand why I am involved getting the money to the photographer. It's odd that your P.A. didn't send it directly or wire it him/herself.

I'll keep you posted.

He still wasn't biting my bait.

Quote:
to me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Hello Dan....Let me know what is going on cos the photographer keep asking me if i still want to book for the day.....Just take the money order to any store and have it cash and send the money to the photographer..

Pls get back to me as soon as possible.

Bob

Quote:
from me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I got pulled in for a callback for a commercial today.

Not sure when I will be done.

You still haven't given me the photographers email and phone number.
If she had PayPal, I could send it whenever. Does she have a website?

I'll call/email her explain the delay.

Honestly, this could have all be alleviated of you would have sent it
directly to her.

No offense Bob but I really don't have the time to be dealing with this.

This is the first for me in my decade of doing comedy that I've been
required to do anything like this.

This will have to wait until Monday.

Since he was giving me anymore info, I was getting more perturbed.

Quote:
to me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Hello Dan.... I am so sorry for the inconvinent the photographer can only recieve the money through western union....Pls can you send her some amount so that i can have the day book with her.

Get back to me....Bob

Quote:
me
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Will not be able to attend to it today. Still at the callback for this
commercial.

Again, please give me her contact info and I will let her know what happened.

Quote:
from me
date Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM
subject Exciting news

Hi Bob,

It's miraculous. I landed the commercial I got the callback for. It's unbelievable but they are flying me to California and you are never going to believe this but they are flying me to Fresno next week which is only 30 minutes from Madera.

If I'm not mistaken, that's where the photographer lives.

So I won't have to wire the money and will be able to hand deliver it.

Which is perfect because I've been meaning to get new promo shots and was looking to
hire a photographer.

She would be perfect. Not only that I have a ton of comedian friends in California and probably could get her more work.

Please forward her my contact info and please give me hers and I will arrange a time and place to meet.

How exciting.

See you in August

Best regards,

I decided to go a different route.

Quote:
to me
date Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:28 AM
subject Re: Exciting news

hello,i have not heard back from you,i will want you to send he money to her via western union,she is a very busy person..so i will want you to have the money sent out today so she can book the date for me...i will be waiting to read back from you with the western union detail...

thanks..

Quote:
from me
date Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM
subject Re: Exciting news

Bob,

What's the difference between meeting her in person and her going to a Western Union? One would think it would be more convenient to hand delivery it to her home.

Not sure if you read my last email, I'm flying Fresno which is only 30 minutes from Madera.

I'm glad that you are concerned about her busy schedule but couldn't care less about mine.

Also my dog Harold just died yesterday and I am in a horrible place. I loved that dog. He was the only creature on this planet that understood me.

I need another week before I can even step out my apartment. This is a little personal but I've been crying night and day since Harold's demise.

Please be sympathetic to my loss and change your tone when you are addressing me.

In fact, in further correspondence I want you to address me as Mr. Allen.

Is that clear, Bob?

Unsincerely yours,
Dan

Haven't heard from him since this last email.

Last edited by sacapuntas on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
luckey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not a bad job there sacapuntas! Check/money order scammers can be tough to bait. They understand that they have a limited amount of time between when the checks are deposited and the money is wired off. As a result, they tend to be impatient, and are used to sudden changes of heart on the part of the victim around the time the check may have been returned.

Just a quick pointer if you don't mind. It sounds like this scammer knows who you are in real life, and sent fake money orders to your home or business. While he is probably thousands of miles away from you, it isn't worth any risk of messing with him if he has personal information about you. We usually set up baiting characters and untraceable email accounts to keep a nice thick bit of padding between us and the scammers. Since you didn't manage to get him to tattoo his face, I'm guessing you'll be alright, but if you intend to try your hand at this again (and you certainly should), it's worth a little effort to conceal yourself.

Also, we usually don't point out their mistakes or flaws in their reasoning. Doing that can help them sharpen up their scams and make them more effective against real victims.

Welcome to Eater, I hope we'll be seeing more of your work! Very Happy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic