SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Convincing Paypal Email

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MidnightBlue
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wasn't sure where to place this, but I feel I need to give a warning about this email as it very nearly caught me out. I'm glad I checked it out with Paypal first! Apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum.

Unauthorized credit card use associated with this account.
Sunday, 19 July, 2009 1:37 AM
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To:
undisclosed-recipients
Message contains attachments
Restore_your_account_PayPal.html (4KB)

Dear PayPal user,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited access to your PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: PP-503-410-563

This is a reminder to restore your account as soon as possible.

Please download the form attached to this email and open it in a web browser. Once opened, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to restore your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP638

Of course after re-reading it I could plainly see the giveaways, but the initial shock and curiosity almost made me open the attachment. I still don't know what it contains, but at a guess I'd say some kind of a trojan. It has got to be the best presented scam email I have ever received.
cece
Master Baitress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got the same email, and although I knew it was a scam (I've received many similar scam emails which were supposedly from banks and ebay), I opened the attachment out of curiosity. It basically just wanted all the information that I provided to paypal when I joined, like bank account information, etc. So I filled it out and sent it back! lol
MidnightBlue
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

barbidollar wrote:
So I filled it out and sent it back! lol

Hmm...that gives me an idea! Laughing
scumbusterkc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mod edit, no need to quote the whole of the first post, we can see it above, use @username instead to direct your reply at a member, cheers - SP

I'm sure most everyone here knows this, but paypal will ALWAYS send communications from them with your name on it. Never with "paypal user".
Jonas Parker
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I average one or two of these per month. Send it with full headers to:
[email protected]

GSN_fan
Hellish Taskmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Use phishfighting.com to fight back. They send hundreds of fake entries to these things.

Listen very openly Barrister Koffi Adams forward to this or what you sent to him how der you sent such a thing to him with is age am very disapointed in you if by your next mail you could not comeplete sending the right way sorry.

Even my little child know how to send money and give to the taker on how to take it so

Austria is a the name of a country near Australia.

This are the details we required from you so our customer cab infect payment to you.

Our is not ready to receive your incandesces message

send to me their pin code and asses code
Click here to support 419Eater.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic