SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Serious bug in recent Linux kernels?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This week I tried several new Linux distros. Fedora 11 (DVD and Live CD), Kubuntu 9.04, openSUSE 11.1 (DVD and Live CD).
Did not manage to run (Live CD) or install any of them.
Always received "Buffer I/O error on device sr0" messages.
It seems I am not the only one, since a quick Google search revealed that lots of people had this problem.
Thought that my RW disks (Emtec DVD+RW and Princo CD-RW) were defective, but they work fine and without errors in Winblows XP.
Then I suspected my almost 4 years old NEC DVD-Writer; had tried some spare CD-ROM units, with the same results.
So, the only thing left are broken ATA kernel modules.
I managed to install Debian 5.0, but it's not my cup of tea since I could not figure a way to have root access (sudo does not work).
I turned back to Slackware 12.0 (which installed without a single problem) and later today I'll try to update it to 12.2.
I shall post this on several Linux oriented sites too (kernel.org and distrowatch).

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Asshole! - angry ghanaian "barrister"
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a similar problem installing Windows 7, but in my case it was the dvd-rom drive which was acting up....

[Runs away hiding in a dark corner]

Fight My Brute
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Which version of the kernel are you talking about? I'm 2.6.28-13 and its fine ( in Ubuntu at least)

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not certain. I have to look what kernels are used by the distros I tried. Slack 12.2 install went ok. It has 2.6.27.7. Now I try to install ATI drivers, which is a time consuming PITA under Slack. I have no acceleration at all under X, and scrolling is like slugs on sleeping pills.

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately ATI graphics cards have a bad rep with Linux Sad. If you are not installing to a laptop i'd recommend an Nvidia card. ( but if you are geeky enough to be able to use Slackware properly you know that already! Very Happy)

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Leanne
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kabuto Sama wrote:

I managed to install Debian 5.0, but it's not my cup of tea since I could not figure a way to have root access (sudo does not work).

For Debian, you type su - in terminal and then enter the root passoword.

O' BOY you are a PARARA, infact u are a big MUGU pooooooooor boy, common get away you baaaaaaaaaaaatard
u fit chop dollar u be dead man no worry i would come and flogg u in your dreams and make sure u put candel in your ass i would also light it up.
tunder go srike u very soon... dont pkay around with people u dont know. LAST WARNING!!
MAGA MUGU OLE ONYE OSHI OTELE
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe the OP isn't quite as geeky as I gave him/her credit for!

Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, geeky enough for Slack, but I don't have experience with Debian.
In the past 11 years I used RedHat, Fedora, Mandriva (back when it was called Mandrake), SUSE/openSUSE and Slackware.
Tried K(ubuntu), but I am used to the full power of a Linux distro and not like much desktop ones. And this is just the second time I try Debian (first time was 4 years ago with Debian 3.0), so pardon my ignorance Wink

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ubuntu is a fully powered Linux. You just have to choose what you want installed, instead of having nineteen different applications that do the same thing installed from the beginning.

I had a similar problem with my last motherboard. I paid a new year's membership for Mandriva Club and found Mandriva didn't work. Crying or Very sad In fact nothing but Ubuntu would see both my SATA controller and my graphics card.

There are a few annoyances with the modern installs that don't let you log in as root easily. One of them is the difficulty of getting a file-manager as root. I have a useful Nautilus script for that.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ubuntu user here, actually just moved up to Karmic Alpha 2 because it supports the hardware in my laptop better than Jaunty. When I do a fresh install I cut out all the apps I don't need and have a very basic system, and then essentially live out of terminals and IDEs the rest of the time. Ubuntu is really nice even for that because it is the only distro I've used that I've been able to painlessly get hardware support for some of the weird setups I have Wink

I use Windows 7 on my big-ol-desktop though. Just not hardcore enough I guess...

As to the mentioned problem, no problems here, just the builtin mic on my laptop apparently doesn't work on Ubuntu before Karmic.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a sidenote, last night I managed to f*** up 2 BENQ DVD-R 16x. Apparently, they are not compatible with my NEC 3540A burner.
A tried and tested Traxdata went ok. Now I have to find some friends with different burners and try to swap the remaining 18 BENQ's for some other brand of disks.

Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Installed Kubuntu 9.04. So far I like it, and get-apt .deb is much better than .rpm and .tgz I was used to. ATI drivers still a headache (why o why did I get a HD 3650 more than a year ago?). Oh well... I wanted a graphic card manufactured by ASUS, Gf8600 GT to be more specific. The shop did not had it in stock, so I settled for another ASUS (the HD3650). Bugger...
Talk about strange combinations... My mobo chipset is nVidia, with Gf7050 o/b graphics.
What still bothers me about K(Ubuntu) is I cannot boot in runlevel 3. Old habits die hard. Used to boot in command line then startx.

remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Should be able to boot into the runlevel of your choice by passing it at boottime through GRUB. Haven't tried that since Ubuntu 6.06 though so maybe it doesn't work like it used to. I just switch between X and text terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1 (through F6) for text terminals and CTRL+ALT+F7 to switch back to X. EDIT: Nope, no multi-user console runlevel in Ubuntu... though you can make your own apparently if your into that kind of thing... just rm /etc/rc3.d/S*kdm and you have a runlevel 3 Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic