SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I'm new to this...need some advice?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
lululime
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, I'm getting a little tired of a man named "Michael D. Cole". According to his profile, which reads...

"By the way of introduction,i am Michael Dewo Cole(22 going to 23 years now)from Liberia but now i live in the refugee Camp in Ghana due to the civilunrest which lasted for 18 years in my country(Liberia)."

He contacted my Step-dad on Facebook, and said that it was for spiritual counseling...since my step-dad is a preacher. He sent him money twice, because members of the church gave it to him. Strangely, we received a letter in the mail asking to send a large sum of money to someone, only to learn that the account had been closed earlier. This letter did not have Michael Cole's name anywhere on it, and maybe it was just a coincidence, but it seems fishy to me.
This morning I found a letter in my inbox from a friend Dave. It had his email address, so I assumed it was from him...until I read the message....which reads...

Did you get my previous message, I sent you an email some hours ago. I travelled to London for a seminer, Unfortunately for me all my money was stolen at the hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I do not know what to do or where to go, I did not bring my phone here. Please can you send me $1,500(USD) through Western Union Money Transfer, as soon as I get back I would refund it immediately. Here are my details for the western union transfer.

Receivers name: David B*****

Address/location: 79 Charing Cross Road, London, WC2H 0NE, UK

As soon as its sent, send me a copy of the money transfer receipt or just write out the money transfer number and the senders name and address. Would be waiting.

Best Regards,
David B*****

First of all, Dave lives in Canada, he's a police officer and as far as I know, they don't go to seminars in London. He would never be so informal and knows better than to ask my poor ass for money.

Do you think this is all linked back to Michael Cole?
He also sent my mother a message on Facebook, explaining his dire situation.

I'm glad I found this site...and I want to figure this out, I just need some help! I don't even know where to begin.
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The first character (Michael Dewo Cole) shows every sign of being a scammer.

For starters, how on earth would a refugee living in a camp in a country where internet access is a luxury have regular internet access? And he has his share of activity on the internet:

A new profile set up this week:
http://www.interpals.net/Dewo

Then let's look at what he has posted to several women's profiles over the past few years. He uses identical, or nearly identical, verbiage each time. Written like a true romance scammer...

From http://henryspencerx.hi5.com/friend/p1521699--Cathy--html
Quote:
Hi Cathy,

Looking at your picture,you are a perfect woman.You are beautiful beyond description,too marvellous for word.You look like an earth angel to me.I would for us to keek up communication.For that,this is personal e-mail;[email protected]
Thanks
Michael Dewo Cole
Ghana

Hmmm... Then from 2006, we have:

Quote:

Mar 10, 2006 9:12 AM
Michael says:

HI CHELSEA.

Looking at your picture,you are pecrfect looking woman.You are beautiful beyond description,too marvellous for word.You look like an earth angel to me.
I would like for us to keep up communication.For that, this is my personal e-mail:[email protected]

Thanks,
Michael Dewo Cole
Abidjan,Cote D'Ivoire.

Interesting, since he is supposedly from Liberia. last I checked, Ivory Coast was not part of Liberia.

The "I'm stranded" email is definitely the work of a lad. This is one of the popular scams these days--get hold of a password for an email box, facebook page, etc. and then spam everyone in the user's contacts book asking for help (aka money). There are so many holes in this scenario that it is pathetic (in reality a person would contact the embassy, call the credit card company, call a family member collect etc...) Here's a really good thread in which a lad tried to phish a hotmail password to pull off this scam, and he has gotten more than he bargained for. http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164842

It is possible that it is the same guy or a connected lad, but unless he got access to your friend's box through your step-dad, it is more likely a coincidence.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

After asking my step-father to cut off contact (I can't believe I'm married, live halfway around the world and still try to help them Very Happy ) she received a message from Michael D. Cole herself!

Hello Mrs H****,
How are you today ? I hope that God is doing great things in your lifethere.By the way of introduction,i am Michael Dewo Cole(22 going to 23 years now)from Liberia but now i live in the refugee Camp in Ghana due to the civilunrest which lasted for 18 years in my country(Liberia).

I am a born again Christian and i have been led by the spirit on the livingGod to contact your husband Pastor ***** ***** through the internetamong thousands of users here. I personally contacted your husband here for spiritual issues purposely andfor encouragement too.And trough our conversation, we got to know each otherbetter.After explaining about my experiences in life that is during andafter the civil war, he was too chocked and decided to help me.

The firstmoney i received from the church was $100 but sent trough him.The secondmoney was giving by sister Staci who i met and explained about my conditionand wanted to help me, she is also member of the same church.I told her ifshe has any thing for me like help,it should be done through Pastor *****.That is how i got the first and second help from your husband.

After receiving the second help i came to tell your husband thanks and i met a mail from him telling me that you are not happy about the idea of hehelping me because it is seems that i am a scammer.And how i came acrosshim? I felt very sad after going trough it.But i reasoned with you becauseof the fraudulent and criminal activities that is going on the internettoday too.These people have tarnished the needy people like us reputation tothe extend that it is very difficult to even convince someone here now.Itonly takes the divine favor and grace of God to do so.

I am writing you this mail to appeal to you for everything whosoever hasdone to you or your relatives on the internet here that hurt your feelingand you told your husband not to correspond with me here again anymore.Iwrite this mail purposely to gain your favor and talk to your husband forus to begin the communication again. The second point he rose was you told him why i did not contact you firstand i did to your children? You were the first person i asked for to contactbut he told me that you do not like chatting most of the time that is why idid not contact you.But iam very sorry for the mistake too.

I am not insisting to be in touch with your husband because i need help fromhim but for him been a pastor, i need some counseling and spiritual helptoo.Friendship is not all about help or money but it can bring happinessand joy to individual as well.Please consider me as you will do to your children there.

If you respond to this first mail then i will send you friend request foryou to read my profile and know much about me here too.\ Please feel free to ask me any thing you want to understand and i willanswer you. I will be glad to hear from youMay God bless you and have a blessed day there. NOTE: if i want to explain about my life here i will send you a volume thatyou can finish today that is why i did a summary.But please feel free tocontact me.

Michael D.Cole
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic