SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Giving a public speech about 419 scams

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Cap419kicker
Ye Olde Privy Smythe

Location: Pushing truck selling Obama shirts on Ring Road Lagos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just curious if anyone had experience in giving presentations to the general public about the 419 scams? Here is the reason I ask this. I am one of the youngest members of my church (yes, I do go to church between insult and Asem emails. I'm even a Lay speaker in the Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Church)and the older congregants keep asking me why do all these people from other countries keep emailing me about dead relatives with a lot of money? I was thinking about doing a short 5-10 minute talk in one of our coffee hours after church to show the older members of the congregation about the email scams and those that work to fight them and how to avoid them. Any advice?

"Your information is safe with me and will not be used anonymously"-- Dal Cal� Maccio
"you are as useless as your e-mail sound. bingo like." ---Zinriszal Bin Selamat
pony pony pony
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Excellent of you to consider doing this. I recommend reading at ScamWarners. There is a ton of information there that will help you give an overview and basic advice.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Madhatter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally i think if you have the chance to explain, in a responsible manner what is going on, DO IT

As already stated, it is commendable that you even think of it, but to actually do it to an audiance that are already asking about it, you cant do any wrong, given the same chance with the right community, i would do it.

+1 to you

(plus i can prepare a script for you, just send $5000 buy west3rn Onion and gimme the MT7N and its yours, Honest)

sorry for the joke, but if you have a genuine chance, do it, i know i would.

Closed lad accounts X 3
Albator
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah definitely, do it!
But I fear 5-10 minutes will seem you far too short Laughing
Once you begin, it's hard to stop...
I tried with collegues once on a lunchtime, one had told about something he received in his pro mailbox, and I began to explain.
We arrived late back at work, and I had to continue via e-mails Rolling Eyes

United Kingdom x4 Filipino flag United States x7 Germany
Closed lad accounts x64 Mortar x11 Goat Nurse Nastys Audi TT
T.W.A.T(co-bait with MoP)
Sand Timer
-S4m 07/01/08-Ongoing
-An4st4s1y4 (Vlad) 11/26/08-Ongoing "I would iron your cock through trousers while it will not be firm"
-0um4r (Hitlad) 11/28/08-Ongoing
-Y4o 02/19/09-Ongoing
-Ver0nika (Vlad) 384d

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Support 419Eater.com]</a>
<a href="http://scamwarners.com/forum/index.php">www.scamwarners.com</a>
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Keep it light, keep it simple. Select three or four typical scams your audience are likely to connect with and briefly explain the scam.

I've found it very difficult to explain about baiting so aaian keep it as simple as "to waste their time and distract them from potential victims ...."

You run into trouble if you've got a hooked victim in your audience .... they're right and you are oh so wrong!

Make it amusing if you can, but simply making people aware that there are sharks in the sea is important. And no, cousin Minnie didn't die in a RTA on the Sagbama highway leaving millions of dollars in a trunk box for you.
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It might be worth preparing a hand-out with a brief summary, and referring them to Eater and Scamwarners for more detailed information.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
El Sid
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What a fantastic opportunity, I would love to have the chance to do this!

I probably wouldn't mention getting lads tattooed though Wink

http:// mar mighty industries. webs. com/ (leave your baiter/catcher address in the guestbook)

Martin Shen: "I am convinced that you will not betray me immediately.."

Mansa Musa Kamara: "...you resemble the son a one pussy sucker and I think my guess is right. Yes, your name is bastard...the problem now is that no one knows if the gods will accept your blood for a sacrifice. Bastard you are and bastard will you remain..."

S0L0M0N Bo@tang: "Thanks for your response. The content is painstakingly understood." - yeahh lad-pain!!
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I probably wouldn't mention getting lads tattooed though

Or setting up fake chuches!

Seriously, to get into baiting would just muddy the waters, the main message has to be 'if it looks too good to be true, it invariably is'.

If you save just one person from sending their life savings to a lad, it's time well spent, and encourage your audience to spread the word.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In a 5-10 minute slot I would avoid all mention of baiting. It would take longer than that to explain the baiting concept without sounding like an smug racist prat. Concentrate on the various scamming formats that your audience is likely to engage with, and how the scam progresses. Explain about fake cheques. I'm sure someone here could give you a scan of a good fake cheque.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've done a bit public service work on scam awareness, and definitely the best thing to do is to avoid mention of baiting entirely, but instead focus on the existence of scams and how to avoid them. That is, paying more attention to awareness/avoidance than to actual scam-fighting.

As mentioned above, you'll also need to pick certain types of scams that may be most likely to affect your audience. "Dead relatives with a lot of money" is a popular one, and maybe a good one to start with because this particular scam theme is fairly well known by now (although most people don't understand quite how it works).

Depending on your audience, some other scams you might want to talk about include

"Work at home" or job scams (especially those involving making payments on someone's behalf, or anything involving receiving and re-sending goods).

Fake lotteries

Fake charities

Overpayment scams (I know a lot of elderly people who are active on ebay and run into this kind of thing a lot).

It's also very much worth being prepared to answer questions like: "Why don't the police do anything about it?" (brief answer: it's often international, and scammers tend to operate from places where such crimes are not taken seriously), and "Why are the scammers contacting me?" (answer: they are contacting everybody they can find).

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
spot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

firehouse5 makes a good point about trying to pre-empt questions.

Finish your talk with a quick "Stay safe on the internet, and if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't" ..... and .... "spread the word to your family and friends""

...and it might be worth pointing out that Western Union and Money Gram are really intended for transferring money to people you personally know and trust.

Good luck with your speech and please let us know how it goes after the event.

Cap419kicker
Ye Olde Privy Smythe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for all the advice. I have a lot of work to do.

"Your information is safe with me and will not be used anonymously"-- Dal Cal� Maccio
pony pony pony
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a great thing to do!

I echo all the advice above, especially the part about keeping it simple. In a short time like that, just skimming the surface should be enough to get your audience to pay attention to what's coming into their inboxes and to ignore and delete appropriately.

Do keep us posted. Smile

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Cap419kicker
Ye Olde Privy Smythe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Titania. I feel this is the most time efficient I can help fight 419. Between being a full time dad and planning on joining the US Navy, all I really have time to do "bait wise" is the ASEM insult stuff I do. I am not very web oriented, and that is probably why I only have 240 some posts for being here for 2 years. I wish I could do more, but I hope I can be one of the little leaks that brings down the 419 ship.

pony pony pony
Stepan Fetchit
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To older people, some who may not even be on the 'net, I'd stress that they never know who they are actually in touch with on the 'net, and possibly combine it with the phone, also.
(Lots of phishing scams on the phone, also.)

<A href="http://www.dragonladies.org/bbs">Dragonladies.org</a>
frank.lester
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi, you already got your concept - print out this thread, read it to the audience, and time is over, having said the essencials.

honestly, when I have chance to talk about scamming to some people, I have made the experience, that not so evident (as NoK, trunk boxes, lotto, etc.), scams like fake job-offers, fake rentals of houses (overpaiment) or other answers to craigslist-ads are points of high interest.

best wishes.
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ All is said, keep it on topic of creating awareness of AFF, that should be the main goal. Once your audience knows you're having fun baiting lads, your inbox will be clogging up with forwarded scam mails they received: 'here's another one for you'. Trust me Smile

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic