SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Whats the scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey all new member here, somebody suggest I post this here and ask your opinion.
I was looking on gumtree.ie (Irish classifieds website) in the Cork Jobs section and came across this ad:
"We seek a reliable,trustworthy and enthusiastic individual with good communication skill who will work as a MYSTERY SHOPPER on part-time basis.You do not need experience as instructions and brifeings will be given as required.This job offers good earnings."

http://cork.gumtree.ie/cork/99/41068499.html

So I said I'd give it a lash and sent in a response (but luckily not my CV). Got this response to email:

Dear Applicant,

This Job will only take 2-3hours of your time per day and you are required,if chosen for this position to be at your very best when you set out for your task.

TASK.
We have been receiving complaints from customers about some of our money agents in canada on how they treat customers who intend to send funds and now there is an investigation going on covertly for us to apprehend the agents that are not doing their job properly hence ruining the name of the company and putting it into disrepute. What we are trying to do is have customers go to some of these locations to test the customer service and report back with his/her reviews. You are to be as inquisitive as you can be and try not to provoke the knowledge of our agents as much as you can, although you have to remain unapparent as some of our agents are aware of these inspections. You will request to send funds to a company representative that will be emailed to you later. The company will send you payments that will go through our legal department(proof of address is required) so as to be sure our funds are in safe hands.

For easy understanding these are your tasks;

* Receive money from company
* Head to a designated western union outlet to make the transfer( your location will be made available to you.)
* Email your reviews/ transfer details as soon as the task has been completed.

Your salary for each day is 10% of payment you receive which is reasonable, depending on your efficiency you might have to work 2-3days per week part-time.

You are required to forward the following information:

* FULL NAME.
* CONTACT ADDRESS( NOT P.O. BOX)
* CONTACT PHONE #s
* DATE OF BIRTH
* CURRENT OCCUPATION

Paul Aguirre
Western Union Regional Office.
101-105, Finchley Road,
London, NW3 5HT.

I know this is a scam, but I wonder of the mechanics of it. They appear to send you money first right? Dobhtless it goes wrong somewhere along the way. I'm tempted to reply via another email address and bait them
Jackdaripper
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

more then likely the so called money they send you will be a Fake check or Fake money order etc..Hell they even could pay you off with a stolen credit card via pay pal (Which gets you burned) etc

Also they will get you to promise not to cash the check but hold onto it until a later date (More then likely after you have put in your REAL money)

That is my take on this .. And for sure it is a scam

Closed lad accounts

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
— Arthur C. Clarke
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the eater, GeneralCollins,

The scam is the payment they send to you will be fake cheques, you bank those, the funds will go in to your account, you withdraw it and send it back to the scammer via western Union, some time later, it can be weeks or many months later, but usually within a week or two, you bank contacts you to tell you thr cheque you deposited was fraudulent, you are now left to repay the bank the money you withdrew on that cheque.

[edit]

As Jack pointed out above, in other instances they might send the money to your PayPal account, done by a stolen credit card or using funds in the PayPal account of another victim who has had their account login details phished.

Alternatively, they could do a direct transfer to your bank account, again, this usually involves another victim having their bank account login details phished, and their funds are sent from their bank account to yours, either way, you are the last link in the chain when the police and banks come looking for the person who got the money.

How's Cork, my mother lives in Bandon, County Cork Smile

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys(or if gals apologies lol), knew it was somewhat dodgy. I believe I shall take a crack at baiting them so
Madhatter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Baited and will await replies, i also sent a pic, we will soon see

Closed lad accounts X 3
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Amazingly this scammer appears to be based in London (based on IP header check) rather than Nigeria which I would have assumed!
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you post the full email headers, please, make sure you xxxxx out your name/email address first, cheers.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Jackdaripper
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

London ? WTH ?

Maybe a proxy server?

Closed lad accounts

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
— Arthur C. Clarke
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is header:

Delivered-To: XXXXXX
Received: by 10.216.25.20 with SMTP id y20cs194135wey;
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:37:13 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.216.24.141 with SMTP id x13mr2064694wex.106.1246293429680;
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from web24613.mail.ird.yahoo.com (web24613.mail.ird.yahoo.com [212.82.104.170])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id p10si16055879gvf.19.2009.06.29.09.37.08;
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:37:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 212.82.104.170 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) client-ip=212.82.104.170;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 212.82.104.170 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) [email protected]; dkim=pass (test mode) [email protected]
Received: (qmail 35476 invoked by uid 60001); 29 Jun 2009 16:37:07 -0000
DKIM-Signature: [snipped to prevent forum blowout -ghost]
To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-YMail-OSG: X4vhZCUVM1mNP1YpjFUGR4AxCAUSjmApS_v_mrsKJdt_COY1OdI-
Received: from [81.153.59.207] by web24613.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:37:07 PDT
X-Mailer: YahooMailRC/1357.22 YahooMailWebService/0.7.289.15
References: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PART-TIME JOB OFFER
To: XXXXX
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-622193202-1246293427=:34586"
Madhatter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got london too, WTF, we got a scammer in park lane,

lets go beat him

Closed lad accounts X 3
Jackdaripper
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Closed lad accounts

— Arthur C. Clarke
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha excellent. Well I'll give it a go too, it will be my first attempt at a scam. I've set up a new addy(hushmail) and sent a request if job still available. The fact that they in London (and prob more clued in) made the decision for me not to just reply as if id gotten the response already from another email address. Will keep you updated and hope likewise. Let the baiting begin!
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, the IP is for BT Broadband in the UK, but what's this reference bit to a Dutch site in the headers, hmmm:

Quote:
Received: from [81.153.59.207] by web24613.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:37:07 PDT
References: <20090629000239.14B929E11A3@mx11a.[b]marktplaats.nl[/b]>

That's this site:

http://www.marktplaats.nl

Googling the @mx11a.marktplaats.nl part gives some results:

Google results For @mx11a.marktplaats.nl

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The References header is to allow threading of email. It lists the Message-IDs of emails related to this one. The In-Reply-To header gives the Message-ID of the email to which this one is a direct reply.

It may be that the lad doesn't know where the "New Mail" button is, and so has replied to an existing mail and changed the subject and addressee.

[digression]
Outlook is not a decent threading mail client, and only threads by the subject. However recent releases do generate References and In-Reply-to headers. When posting a new mail to a mailing list, many people assume they can just reply to an existing message to get the right list email address. In Outlook it looks fine. However a decent threading email client will put this new mail half-way down an existing conversation. This is really annoying and will get you flamed.
[/digression]

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah I get you, thanks for that.
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:
Yes, the IP is for BT Broadband in the UK, but what's this reference bit to a Dutch site in the headers, hmmm:

Quote:
References: <20090629000239.14B929E11A3@mx11a.[b]marktplaats.nl[/b]>

That's this site:

http://www.marktplaats.nl

Googling the @mx11a.marktplaats.nl part gives some results:

Google results For @mx11a.marktplaats.nl

It seems both gumtree.ie and marktplaats.nl are owned by Ebay.
Gumtree uses the Marktplaats nameservers. Clicky

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok all, so as I said first bait so would like some help on where to progress. Apoligies if this should be in another thread. The story so far with Frodo Smile:

1)After replying to the original message, I received this message from Frodo:

McLewis Frodo <[email protected]>
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Cc:
Subject: Re: Your Gumtree Cork ad #40879747: Part time&amp;amp;amp;Full time Job Opportunities
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:49:25 +0100
Attachments:

How Does it Work?
Global Shopping Service Network, LLC (GSSN) has has received over 1300 registrations from internet-savvy mystery shoppers across the UK, and are selected from our registry on the basis of matching geographical location, pertinent experience, quality and completeness of their registry information, prior to doing any work for our company. Shoppers are individually matched with each assignment based on geographical location and assignment specifications.
Attention Mystery Shoppers:
Read These Secrets ONLY If You Desire To Become a Mystery Shopper
Listen, anyone can get paid to shop. And I mean anyone. Mystery shopping companies evaluate your profile looking for unique matches for their clients requests. Most of the time you will fit the bill of a typical customer, you have to look, act and feel like a normal customer. For example, you don't want to be anorexic and be asked to shop at a Plus size department store. You would have a hard time explaining how you are going to fit into a size 60.
Or an job might ask for a person from a certain ethnic background or speak a different language, this is to help the company make sure that it's staff doesn't discriminate. Or if you are a stay-at-home mom you could find yourself needing to shop a day care or toy store and be asked to bring your child along. If you don't have a child of you own, I'm sure you could borrow one...
In all my research I have built up a list of qualities the REALLY make one person stand out from another. And companies are begging for these people with these attributes. Some of them you may already posses. And some you may have to work on. All of these can easily be learned with a little patience.
Here they are in no specific order:
Don't reveal who are and keep your opinion to yourself:
First of all if your identity is ever discovered you will not be paid. But, in the mystery shopper handbook there are many tactics to help you get out of these sticky situations. No revealing who you are means that you don't tell anyone what you are doing. If someone comes up to you and asks your name don't act weird and freak out because your not supposed to reveal who you are. This is an important distinction to make, because you need to act as natural as possible. Being that you are probably not the first person to shop at this store.
Next, you need to keep your opinions to yourself. The details you get from the shop need to be observations. For example, if you have a problem with a certain type of person (ie, a pushy used car salesman) you need to leave this out of your report. Only take note of the things you are asked to observe. Did your meal arrive on time? Was it cooked the way you ordered it? Was the staff polite? I hope you get the idea.
Another trait that will come in handy is your ability to adapt to any situation RAPIDLY. When push comes to shove you need to be able to get the information you need to complete the job. Sometimes this can be tricky but if you want to become a mystery shopper, keep an open mind you should be fine and have everything work out.
Is observant and has a good memory:
You need to be able to take mental notes of your surroundings during your assignment from any one of the mystery shopper companies. Take note of anything out of the ordinary and make notes without being obvious (this is where a good memory really shines). You might be asked to remember things you normally don't even pay attention to. Things such as, did the waitress have a name tag?
Is reliable, honest and acts professionally:
Ok, I believe that being reliable and honest both fall under the umbrella of being professional. So if sign up for an assignment from a mystery shopping company you always complete it. And you fill out the report in a truthful manner. If you do this you will stand out as being professional and will rise to the top. Plus you will become qualified for higher paying jobs from a mystery shopper company.
Has good communication skills:
You need to be able to communicate and talk with people in a natural manner just as if you're an actual customer. You also have to write good enough to complete a report, but you don't have to be a novelist. This may seem trivial, but you would be surprised at how many people take this for granted and don't receive payment just from not paying attention.
A good imagination:
If you plan out your “story” before you shop you will be more like a real customer. Once again you want to be as natural as possible. If you were actually going to buy the thing or service you are evaluating, what types of questions would you ask?
Well organized and follow directions:
Until you are paid you need to keep track of ALL receipts and purchases, business cards, names of people, pretty much everything about the job. Just in case you have to go back and rewrite your report. You will also need to keep track of your time, making sure you complete your shops on time. And if you are working with several companies you need to keep track of when you submitted your assignments and when you are supposed to get paid. You also need to exactly as you are told, if you deviate from your provided plan, your probably won't be paid due to the fact that you are changing the aspects of the research.
Basic computer and internet knowledge:
Here are the basic skills you should understand before applying for your first mystery shopper job:
- Send email with attachments
- Access website and fill out forms

Mail me your info for you materials:
FIRST NAME.............
SURNAME..............
ADDRESS..............
CITY...................
COUNTY...............
POST CODE............
COUNTRY................
PHONE NUMBER(S)......
OCCUPATION...........
GENDER...........
MARITAL STATUS.......
AGE..........
NATIONALITY...........

2) Let the time wasting begin:

To: McLewis Frodo <[email protected]>
Cc:
Subject: Re: Your Gumtree Cork ad #40879747: Part time&amp;amp;amp;Full time Job Opportunities
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:29:50 +0100
Attachments:

Dear Frodo,
I am afraid most of your message was garbled and unreadable. Please
resend it as my parents are most anxious for me to get some work
experience in the real world, instead of sponging off the trust
fund the whole time. Can you believe they order me around like
that? I'm 22 for gods sake, but since I am still living on the
Estate, I guess its their rules.
Looking forward to hearing from you and working towards our mutual
benefit.
I remain sir, your most humble and obedient servant,
John Fitzgerald.

3) (He resent exact same message as above)

4)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Cc:
Subject: Re: Full time Job Opportunities
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:46:12 +0100
Attachments:

Dear Frodo,
thanks for your rapid reply. Let me contact my parents, and see
what they think of the precious opportunity you present. I feel
sure they will agree to let me represent your company and become
lord of my own ring. How much time do I have before I must let you
know of my level of commitment to this worthy cause?
John Fitzgerald.

5) (short but to the point lol)

Cc:
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:25:13 +0100
Attachments:

You must be a good and Honest Man Mr John Fitzgerald and we will be very Happy if you can Work for Us and We will do Appreciate if you can mail us your Info So we Can Arrange the materials For you ok..

Many Thanks.
Frodo

6)
Cc:
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 01:47:32 +0100
Attachments:

Dear Frodo,
it is with much joy that I receive your email. Finally I can emerge
from the shelter of my parents' money to create a new path for
myself, an all encompassing ring which will forge my destiny.
Please advise me what is required for me to be of use to you, and
to make myself some money (other than the most basic of information
that you listed previously).
John Fitzgerald.

7)
Cc:
Subject: Full time Job Opportunities
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 08:38:23 +0100
Attachments:

You are to perform your task from Nearest Post Office with 1st Class Mail the Next day You receive The Material the mean Leaning How to Dispatch cheque When you are fully working With Us and you will be given 3500 pounds Everymonth but you will recieve some allowance the first Task You perform and This is How it Goes,you will Locate at least 3 post office in your area before you receive the Task You will be given an Address to Write It Down On the Envilop Before The Task Get to you Too and once you receive it you will have to Dispatch it to Our Customer. You will be Given Upto 250 Materials Which you will Dispatch The Same Day You receive It and And You Will be Given 900 Pounds after you Perform The Task Properly But you will have to get the Stamp Ready before You Receive the Material And Remember You Need To Act As a real customer And Make Sure You Handle the Material Very Well ..
Mail me You Name,Address & You Phone # So We can Make Arrangement for The Materials and get It sent to you.

Frodo

Cool
Cc:
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 17:40:07 +0100
Attachments:

Dear Frodo,
This all sounds well and good, but isn't this job supposed to be
about mystery shopping? Maybe I am missing the point, but could you
explain what this job is? My parents are happy to cover costs in
the short-term as long as you can provide me with a detailed job
description. After all, I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise.
"Don't you let us down." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
Also, I would like you to show me some respect - why do you keep
asking for my name? I have told you it several times and it is in
fact in my email address also, as well as signed at the bottom of
each email. Do I mean this little to you? I'm not so sure I want a
job where my employer can't even be bothered to remember my name. I
would like an expanation please.
Yours (but only just)
JOHN FITZGERALD

9)
McLewis Frodo <[email protected]>
Cc:
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 19:55:36 +0100
Attachments:

You are Not missing Mr JOHN FITZGERALD I know you Name But What I need if the Name to Write On your Paycheck And I dont Want to make Any Mistake that is Just It and before You Perform The Mystery Shopper We need to test You Brain With Dispatch and IF it Goes Well With The Post office then You Will Perform your task and Please We Will Need Your phone Number Ok...

10)
Cc:
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:01:49 +0100
Attachments:

EWaiting for you online So we can arrange the Payment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all so far, what direction should I take it in folks? I'm enjoying referring covertly to Lord of the Rings in honour of Frodo!

Last edited by GeneralCollins on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caligula
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Edit out your email adress darling, and welcome to 419eater

Going Gold?
Post scripts at scamwarners!
Kill a fake site today!
GeneralCollins
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Caligula wrote:
Edit out your email adress darling, and welcome to 419eater

Just a new addy I made up anyway, but no harm I guess. Thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic