SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Fox News puts spotlight on internet scammers!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a basic run down of modalities but good to pass around!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528859,00.html

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing this. I do like to read anything that I can discuss with other (non-baiting) people, and am glad to see links like this.

Though, totally personally, I didn't like the article.

As soon as I saw the words 'Asian invasion', I thought, 'Eeek! Racist rubbish!' sort of automatically (just the way it was written), before I even got any further.

I've never heard of the 'Oprah Show Summer Sweepstakes'.

Cars deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq?

Jury scams?

Where are the mentions of the Next-of-Kins, suffering Refugees, wonderful Charities who need donations, Lottery wins, dying widows, and potential girl/boyfriends which fill my accounts?

People I know could fall for the charity and romance ones. Older people I know could fall for all the rest. I doubt my elderly mother is interested in cars to Iraq. But she does like to help people.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ are you serious? That's what the scam is, playing off the idea that others are racist so the threat 'must be real'.

Pretty good article, wish they'd been a little more general on the 'sweepstakes/lottery' scam idea, good to have the hitman modality exposed... and especially what they called the grandparents scam, since so often that comes from a compromised email account so it looks 'real'

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
are you serious? That's what the scam is, playing off the idea that others are racist so the threat 'must be real'.

Remu, some people reading that are Asian. Therefore an 'Eeek!' feeling ('sort of automatically, before reading any further,' as I said) is a first impression.

I don't think any Asian friend/family member of mine would get much further than that line.

It is not only white people who read such articles.

But that does not mean it cannot form a basis for discussion. All mentions of scams can be a springboard for that. Which is why I also thanked Badgerbait for the link.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One thing that I don't like about that article is that they place a lot of emphasis on the fact that scammers can find all this information out on the internet.

Which is true. They can.
Even though 99% of the lads out there have NEVER done this before.

And now a lot of lads have just learned that they can... Rolling Eyes

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here for dirty nasty pr0n!!1]</a>
pony pony pony
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x6
Star
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic