SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Simon & Garfunkel - start of their world tour. A review

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We Kiwis have been lucky to have Simon and Garfunkel start their 'old friends' world tour here in Auckland. And this particular Kiwi was lucky enough to be able to get tickets to their second concert (the first concert sold out, 12,000 seats, in 19 minutes). I remember buying their "Sounds of Silence" album in 1967 when I was at university, so I'm a long time fan.

So, what were they like? Definitely well worth the hundreds of dollars spent on tickets. Time has not been kind to Art Garfunkel's vocal chords, gone are those crystal clear notes he was capable of. But then, Louis Armstrong with swine flu would sound fantastic singing Paul Simon's lyrics. And the great band they had behind them rocked up a couple of numbers. And the slight re-arrangements of many of the numbers well suited their capabilities.

On the first night, right in the middle of "Bridge over troubled waters", the sound system went fritz. After about 5 seconds the audience picked up the song and sang it back to Simon and Garfunkel - Paul Simon described that as one of the most unforgettable audience experiences he's ever had.

Paul Simon still has it though, especially when he sang "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" and "Me and Julio down in the school yard" on his own. But this was a wonderful experience, the audience gave them 4 standing ovations and they came back 3 times and did 5 songs as encores. They were on stage for over 2 hours without a break.

Considering that I probably won't get the chance to see them again down here in New Zealand, I think I was lucky to be there for the swan song of one of the greatest duos of all time. Art Garfunkel may have been a little weak, though there were hints of that marvellous voice for a line or two in a couple of songs, but Paul Simon carried his old friend and the result was just an incredible experience.

Mind, it helps to be as old as Simon and Garfunkel are to appreciate their music. Their songs were anthems of my youth, "Bridge over troubled waters' defined an era.

Would I go to see them again if I had the chance? Yes, I'd crawl over broken glass to be there.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
Gold Hat
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ You are one lucky bastard - I'm so jealous. Crying or Very sad
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is a great Scott Simon interview done just before their Philly show and European tour.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1951161

When I was 16, I was sitting on a living room floor with a guy that I thought I knew pretty well. Everyone was talking about where they were going the next year. This guy was the only one not accepted into an Ivy League school. In fact, he had not even bothered to apply to any schools. He told me he was going on to New York and to do TV. I asked if he made any contacts or knew anyone. Nope. Any training? Nope. A few years later, I start seeing his name on credits. In 1982, HBO released the S+G NY concert attended by 500,000. He was the director.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Tuco
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. Yes I would..."

"Thanks for giving me a nauthy number that preys unit like a hungry lion." - Alise Kar1m
"I have called you more than 20 times but non of the calls went through." - Williams C0ker
"I've said in my previous mail that I do not understand English." - Cabinet Bad0u
"PLEASE MY CHAIRMAN, I AM NOT GREEDY, I LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU, I HAVE LOST MANY OF MY JOBS , PLS PLS PLS, I WILL WORK HARD WITH U." - Dr. Lui$ James
"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend."
Closed lad accounts x8 (Thanks Corona)
Gold Hat
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Lincoln Duncan is my name and here's my song"
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nelsonsbattle wrote:
I remember buying their "Sounds of Silence" album in 1967 when I was at university

1967? Sweet Jesus! I was just a grumpy little pastor back then.

That must have really cool, I am jealous.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tickets of the Perth concert where selling on E-bay for around three grand each
I don't think Art Garfunkel, has worked since his last tour way back when, While Paul Simon, had a lot of success with his Lady Smith Black Mombasa, tour, and the huge spin off that generated.

Resistance is futile
assimilation is paramount
Why am I such an evil bastard, Mum said I take after my father

My mum to betray to you huge hi,
You have changed my world and you makes me so Un-happy! Everyone around me can see that!
I wished to eat.... Has opened a refrigerator... But, in it it is empty.... Now I am compelled to go to shop...
To my girlfriend 30 years yesterday were executed, and was very cheerful.sounds like a dead party
Honey I understand all our complexities in our meeting! We should overcome them!!! Please,
do not look back, only forward!!! We together will pass fire, water and copper pipes SHIT not the copper pipes
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was still wet behind the ears. Smile

But, also jealous!

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think for years they wouldn't speak to each other.

However, like the Eagles with their 'Hell Freezes Over' tour,they have found that time and the taxman are great healers.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic