SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

English vs English

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Just Jane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I won't mention the word here because in the US it's considered a slur, but a friend and I picked up his UK buddy from the airport. The UK fellow was a smoker and said in a loud voice as he exited customs: I'M DYING FOR A *insert UK slang for cigarette*'. Shocked They had to explain it to me.

Mortar x 18 Closed lad accounts x 64 United Kingdom Malaysia Senegal Liberian Flag United States China Nigeria Spain South Africa Togo Benin Ghana United Arab Emirates Germany cameroon pony Mc Fry Easter Egg
Winner of the Summer Challenge Prize August 2008
Pith Helmet - St4nley's Xmax Adventure - I am suppose to be your Lover and not your house lad. - St4nley
Golden Pith Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Cotonou to Lome x2, Cotonou/Lagos/Abuja/Yankari, Cotonou/Parakou, Lagos/Maiduguri, Lagos/Douala, Dakar/Gambia/Keyes - Hector w/ team Hectard
Safari Barack Obama Scammed - Benin-Lagos-Maiduguri 'Oh Shit' - Hon. M4rtins
Safari Cotonou/Lome - D Brown
Sand Timer Hector Sand Timer Dr David O
limburger
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The UK/USA pudding thing is confusing. In all my years in the USA, pudding only refers to one thing and that is a thick sweet creamy dessert very much the consistency of yogurt. For dessert it is eaten straight or also might get poured into a pie crust and eaten that way.

Best made from scratch of course but it is most often made by just buying a packaged dry mix (main flavors are chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, there may be others). Dissolve the mix in milk, boil a while and cool. It's not bad (to me anyway). They also make an instant pudding mix that doesn't need boiling, but in my opinion that stuff tastes horrible.

I think custard is very similar to pudding but I think it has more on eggs in the recipe and is firmer than pudding.

so your job is to hack some body job you go die and you must run mad in this country all generation will go to hell fire i must get you and i will troll way you inside beach idiot as you hack my money and you crate email dey write richard as you do it i will spoil the job . idot --Steve F
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Very close. Custard has eggs in it, and is baked in a bain-marie (water bath), and pudding is cream-based, and is simply mixed and cooled. Custard rarely has any particular flavor, and is best when it has a crust of burnt sugar on top. (Oh, my, there goes my blood sugar.)

Puddings come in several flavors, including pistachio, which is not bad, but I like chocolate best.

Rice pudding is made with milk, raisins, cinnamon, and leftover rice. Instant rice is not recommended for this. (Actually, instant rice is an abomination.) And I'm not sure brown rice would work well, as the starches need to be freed to thicken the pudding.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
El Nombre
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

strange, this came up on the forum of a game i play, the whole football soccer bit, In UK, Football is a game where pepole run around kicking a ball, in US, its a game where people run around carrying a different type of ball O.o, i don't really get that :S
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Titania, I feel I need to offer my skills in teaching you how to make proper english puddings Very Happy

Rice pudding should be made with pudding rice. Brown rice wouldn't work, you're right Smile You should also add cream to it.

As for the burnt sugar on top, you're thinking of a Creme Brulee - this is a french desert and not pouring Custard (although not too dissimilar).

If you're ever in the UK, I will happily give you a masterclass in puddings! Very Happy
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm made of puddings! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Edit, I thought all desserts were called pudding over there. Smile

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Corona aww are you? that would make you pretty good to eat then Wink Laughing - strawberries and cream is a desert not a pudding, however, spotted dick is a pudding Wink

As Thud pointed out, it depends on how posh we're being Laughing
Just Jane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

'Posh'. Since we're on that subject... Wink . I hear 'posh' occasionally and I assume it means 'upper class' or 'upper class with a bit of snootiness'? Which is it?

Mortar x 18 Closed lad accounts x 64 United Kingdom Malaysia Senegal Liberian Flag United States China Nigeria Spain South Africa Togo Benin Ghana United Arab Emirates Germany cameroon pony Mc Fry Easter Egg
Winner of the Summer Challenge Prize August 2008
Pith Helmet - St4nley's Xmax Adventure - I am suppose to be your Lover and not your house lad. - St4nley
Golden Pith Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Cotonou to Lome x2, Cotonou/Lagos/Abuja/Yankari, Cotonou/Parakou, Lagos/Maiduguri, Lagos/Douala, Dakar/Gambia/Keyes - Hector w/ team Hectard
Safari Barack Obama Scammed - Benin-Lagos-Maiduguri 'Oh Shit' - Hon. M4rtins
Safari Cotonou/Lome - D Brown
Sand Timer Hector Sand Timer Dr David O
writeon
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Corona said:
Quote:
I'm made of puddings!

and I'm made FOR puddings. Laughing Laughing Laughing

"MY FINANCE DEPARTMENT TOLD'S ME TODAY THAT THE WESTERN UNION FORM YOU SENT WAS NOT VALID AND ELUCID" - Dr Frank Johnson

THERE IS A MURDER CASE WHICH I ENGAGE MY SELF INTO TO MAKE SURE THE CLIENT IS NOT KILLED BY HANGING, BUT I THANK GOD TODAY THAT THE CLIENT SUCIDED IN GOING TO JAIL INSTEAD OF HANGING TO DEATH,THAT IS THE REASON WHY I DIDN,T GET BACK TO YOU SOON. - Mohammed Traore

PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE AM BURNING I MEAN I AM IN BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE RED SEA PLEASE. - Ruth
Jack Pump
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My parents were big fans of those ridiculous Hollywood musicals. They would always buy the soundtrack from the latest hit. Back in the 60’s I would have to listen to “Mary Poppins”, “Sound of Music”, “West Side Story”, “My Fair Lady” and the rest.

For the longest time the beginning of the song, “The Tapioca” from “Thoroughly Modern Millie” never made sense. Jimmy Smith is asking Millie what she had for dinner. Millie replies, “Well, we had tapioca for pudding”.

I was like, “Okay, so the Brits have a pudding portion of each meal? There’s the soup, salad, entrée, dessert and pudding or what????” I had no idea that pudding is dessert.

Next Question –

Hugh Laurie is a big star here in the US from the TV series “House MD”. I was one of the many who were surprised to find out he’s from the UK because his character doesn’t have even a hint of a British accent. Tim Roth was another actor who had me fooled. The first movie I saw him in was “Reservoir Dogs” and once again, no accent. Gary Oldman also does a great American accent when necessary.

Rene Zellweger did, what I consider, a good British accent in “Bridget Jones’s Diary”. Dick Van Dyke did what is considered the worst British accent in history in “Mary Poppins”

My question –

It is more difficult for an American to do a British accent or a Brit to do an American accent?

Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seeing as Americans speak proper english, I would say that it is harder for Brits to sound like Americans. (At least midwestern US).

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

YOU ATE OUR MONEY AND YOU START MOCKING US--Bishop Anthony

Fake Checks Received= $63,487 US
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ I agree!

@writeon,
Girls are made of sugar, spice and everything nice. Very Happy

Boys are made of sniffs, snails and puppy dog tails. Laughing

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tastysnack wrote:
Seeing as Americans speak proper english

Shocked Rolling Eyes

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here are two American vs. British English dictionary web sites. They were quite useful when watching some British TV (telly?) shows on DVD.
http://www.effingpot.com/index.shtml
http://septicscompanion.com/

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jack Pump wrote:
It is more difficult for an American to do a British accent or a Brit to do an American accent?

Difficult to tell. Only an American can judge an American accent, and only a Brit can judge a British one. But I don't see why there should be too much difference. Except, of course, the British have been soaking in Yank culture for decades, whereas the Americans very rarely hear a real British accent.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
UK, Football is a game where pepole run around kicking a ball, in US, its a game where people run around carrying a different type of ball
Football is what is widely called soccer (and comes from an alteration of assoc, which itself comes from associated football) and is the original kicking game.

Thanks to a certain twit (Webb Ellis) who couldn't kick and who didn't understand the handball rule, but went to Rugby school and so was too posh to punish, running with the ball is known as Rugby Football, shortened to Rugby. In some parts of the world, especially southern hemisphere, english speaking, British Commonwealth countries, they think football is only played with a pointy ball.

There are girly versions, one being Rugby league, where any time anyone gets a slight tap, everyone stops and resets the game. The only girlier game is American football where the players wouldn't go out on the pitch without full body armour and a note from their mother.

Quote:
I hear 'posh' occasionally and I assume it means 'upper class' or 'upper class with a bit of snootiness'? Which is it?

The word POSH is commonly thought to refer to Port Out Starboard Home, the best side of the ship to be on if one wanted to see the natives on one's trip to the colonies and back. Supposedly, looking down on the natives was a premium and cost more, hence only available to the rich and snooty (the one invariably goes with the other). Sadly it appears to be an urban myth. (not the snootiness, that's all true).

Purple Flower
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@GB, No clear explanation for origins of posh. It makes sense that in an era before airconditioning, passenger comfort would command a premium price. Those who could afford it bunked on the port side when travelling to India and on the starboard for the return to Blighty.

Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Food talk:

My parents eat a main course, followed by 'afters'. 'What's for afters?'

My neighbour eats a main course, followed by a dessert. The 'dessert' could be a solid cake-like dish, like a steamed pudding!

If I were to eat afters/dessert, however, I would eat a main course, then 'pudding'. But my pudding could be fresh fruit or jelly (jello in US? I know your jelly is our jam).

I think it depends on your region, your background, your peer group, and just the way you think.

Posh talk:

If you are being neutral, then 'posh' is anyone who is of a higher class (social background, not financial income) than yourself.

If you are being critical, however, then 'posh' is anyone who thinks they are of a higher social class than yourself, and acts patronizingly towards you because of this idea.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
HarvestMoon
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I worked with several Brits in the late 80's and early 90's. This thread brings back lots of fun memories of the language differences. I distinctly remember the shock when I said I would pack something in my "fanny pack", back when they were the new "in" thing. After the shock wore off and I got them to understand my definition, I was told that in the UK it meant a douche bag.

Some other fun comments:
In the US we park on our driveways and drive on our parkways. In the UK the subway is a sort of tunnel that you walk through to cross under a busy street. In the US it is an underground train.

"You must really think i am a fool.God punish you for taking me for a joke" Dead George
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Regarding learning the "accent" of the other side of the pond:

It depends upon the ear of the person doing the imitation. If they have a good "ear" and hear the original clearly and can imitate it well, then they have no problem. I learned German with no accent (so I was told by a native of Berlin, BTW), and the few French phrases I have managed to learn passed muster with a Parisian. But when I tried to teach a fellow actress how to speak "stage Cockney," she simply could not do it; her attempts always came out somewhere between Arkansas and Georgia.

Even in America, jam and jelly are different. Jam has bits of the fruit in it, and jelly is clear. Jell-O is another thing entirely.

Boots or shoes? Here in the US there are galoshes (and different parts of the country differ as to what kind of boots are called galoshes) and other kinds of boots (like rain boots, snow boots, cowboy boots, hiking boots, etc.). When I was a kid my dad and brother wore a kind of half-boot that didn't cover the whole shoe. They were called - um - "rubbers" (this was before anyone with any claim to purity talked about condoms under any name).

Sweaters - in the US we have pullovers and cardigans - and sweat-shirts. In the UK aren't they called jerseys?

And American pantyhose are sheer while tights are opaque.

I'm going to bed now.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
whajushappen
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What do you use to listen to the Soccer Game? errr, I mean the Football game?
The Wireless? or The Radio? Confused

Pudding is usually pretty good in any language...Im just sayin...
Casual Occurrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Corona wrote:

Boys are made of sniffs, snails and puppy dog tails. Laughing

That's interesting, I've always heard it as snips and snails and puppy dog tails.

"When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction." - Cathartic Kate

IF YOU MEET THIS MAN ON GROUND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RAIN ABUSES ON HIM...I WOULD ADVICE YOU READ AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND HIS E-MAILS VERY WELL BEFORE YOU START INSULTING HIS PERSONALITY. - Rev. Niklas

Thank you for your Undiluted Assictance and we hope to have a Lasting business relationship with you. - Hou Weijun

YOU ARE A F***ING BASTERD!!! - [Account reported] Dr. John E. Telex/Foreign Remitance Department

<a href="/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159622">Getting into collecting accounts from ASEMs? For a breakdown of a simple example bait: Click Here</a>
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been confused or interested in the reason that Top Gear uses Miles per hour in their measure of speed. Is that just for the show that is exported to the US or is it common to describe speed in MPH instead of KPH un the UK now?

See at one time the USA was going to transfer to the metric system... It didn't work and only added to the confusion some of us feel every day.

Yeah, they WERE out to get me with that one... Shocked

Laughing

edited for spelling and clarity, I am tired, 'night.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
auldbat
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, Aussie bits !!

We say lift not elevator
and moving walkway is an escalator
candy or sweets - we say lollies
pudding is just that! OR dessert OR afters!!! (pick one!)
But we have utes (utility vehicle) which I think is like a pickup truck?
We have ride-on mowers
The powered thingamajig you cut the lawn edges with is a whipper-snipper (nah, not a whipper snapper!)
Little kids are ankle biters
Police are cops
If you make a mistake and it all comes tumbling down, or you fall over, it's called ''coming a gutser''.
Afternoon is arvo, of course.
Thinking thinking here.........
oh, woop woop (sounded like the o's in oof!) is way out back of beyond, past the black stump, if ya get me? Laughing
They are bum bags here too.
We have hot chips and potato chips!! (which come in a packet from the supermarket shelf)

Our slang is an astonishing mixture of many different languages, and our own unique okker slang.
Course, I am an old bat, so only know a little of the new street slang as they call it.
I just hate and loathe the way the manufacturers change brand names. Went to live in UK way back. Looking for sticky tape, asked in Woolies, 'where is the bear brand tape please?'. Got a strange look and sent to the chemists. Apparently bear brand were condoms way back when..... Embarassed REALLY embarrassing for a country kid............... rofl
And Weetbix is Weetabix in UK.........huh????
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ParaNoid wrote:
I have been confused or interested in the reason that Top Gear uses Miles per hour in their measure of speed. Is that just for the show that is exported to the US or is it common to describe speed in MPH instead of KPH un the UK now?

It has always been MPH, we're that island that is NOT attached to Europe Wink

@ Titania - we have jumpers and cardigans and sweatshirts (rugby shirt stylee) galoshes are big big wellies

oh and jelly can have fruit in it, if you put it in before it sets and my mother makes apple jelly (which is a jam) that is clear Wink

This thread is hilarious and interesting Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic