SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

English vs English

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jack Pump
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be interesting to me but I’m not sure about others….

One of the many things I’m enjoying on this forum is picking up on the slang. I’m not just talking about the “scambaiting” slang but the slang between the US and the UK. Okay, some of it isn’t slang but entirely different words used for the same thing. For example, here in the US it’s known as a trunk. That’s where you put your luggage and stuff in your car. Across the Atlantic it’s the boot. Speaking of cars, here we fill it up with gas. I understand that over there you use petro.

What do people in the UK call carbonated soft drinks? Is there some slang used for Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite and so on? Here in the US, the slang depends on which part of the country you’re in.

For example, here in Texas we call any carbonated soft drink a “Coke”. It doesn’t matter if you’re drinking a Pepsi, Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7UP or Ginger Ale. When you ask somebody what type of Coke they want, it doesn’t mean the difference between Diet Coke and regular Coke, it could mean Orange Crush. In other parts of the country they use terms like “pop”, “soda”, and “soda water”.

Here’s a list of different words used for the same thing. First the US version then the UK version –

Fries – Chips
Chips – Crisps
Hood – Bonnet
Panties – Knickers
Friend – Mate
Bathroom – Loo

Would anybody care to add more?

Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For carbonated soft drink, I'd say 'fizzy drink'. I've also heard it called 'pop' or 'fizzy pop', though in the part of the England I am from, 'pop' would only be said to small children (presumably to make it sound more exciting).

Talking of pop, I got into a silly misunderstanding on a dog training forum, when I wrote, 'I popped my dog on the lead.' I meant, 'I quickly put my dog on the lead.' But the Americans on the forum thought I meant, 'I jerked my dog's lead in a reprimanding manner,' and wondered why I was punishing him for nothing, and told me I was very wrong.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There's a list here.
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/words.htm
Incomplete and a bit inaccurate though. Sausages is the usual word over here. Bangers is slang.
Fender and Bumper is another pair of words that I came up with.
Anyway, it is baiting related. I often bait as an American, so US spelling and terminology comes in useful.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Jack Pump
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the link

I saw where an eraser is called a rubber in the UK. That's kinda funny because back when I was in high school (1974 - 1978) a rubber was slang for a condom. It wasn't until the early 80's that people over here started calling a condom a condom.

AIDS education made condom a respectable term. People don't use the term "rubbers" like we used.

Star A Star
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sidewalk and pavement
faucet / tap
closet / wardrobe
dumpster / skip

i am tired of all these rusbish, i am waisiting my time andf mone
Ok i will try and take the form to my staff members, once i get the form filled, i am not ready to fill another form, make sure that this is all the forms, i am going to fill them and once i get them done, i will not fill another form
If you see how i was insulted in the western union office, you will pitty me - nope you're wrong there pal

Last edited by Star A Star on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cleaning fluid -> Pimms

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
soylent green
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Suddenly I have gotten interested in Australia. Made friends from over there, recently.

How about ozzie slang?

=
O
<|\/
|\
// s.t.
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe we could, like you know, start like some American rhyming slang?

Eg...I fell down the Johnny Depps this morning right on my Sharon Glass It brought Britney's to my American Pies.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes it gets confusing.
In the US a truck is a vehicle; in the UK truck is garbage.
In the US a lift is something you give a hitchhiker; in the UK it's an elevator.
In the US a CURB is the concrete riser at the edge of a street (that thing that has a ramp cut into it for wheelchairs Wink); in the UK a KERB is the gutter - the riser is the KERBSTONE.

@JackPump, in the early 80s I worked with a British woman who one day asked the office in general, "Does anyone have a rubber I could borrow?"

Instant deadly silence. Then someone figured out what she really meant. Laughing

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Star A Star wrote:

closet / wardrobe
dumpster / skip

A wardrobe is where you store clothes, I think closet has a wider sense than that. Somewhere you don't store clothes would be a cupboard.

A skip is generally an open-top steel box rented for a few days to get rid of a large amount of rubbish (garbage). I believe a dumpster is a more permanent affair for disposal of commercial waste, and often has a lid (if Hollywood movies can be trusted). We have those and they are called wheelie-bins.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember being shocked when I read an American talking about patting the girls on their fanny. In the UK it means the front bottom, not the one you sit on.

Quote:
England and America are two countries separated by a common language.

George Bernard Shaw or Churchill, or maybe both, depending on which Google result you beleive.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Which at first sight makes the name of the "fanny-pack" seem correct, because wearing one of those round the back is (A) difficult to access, and (B) asking for its contents to be nicked*.

Except in the UK, "fanny-packs" are called "bum-bags".

(and fanny is a very disreputable word, not to be used in anything like polite conversation.)

------
* After the thief has nicked(stolen) your money, the policeman nicks(arrests) him.

I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14

Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One of my favourites, when visiting friends in Milwaukee.

Custard!

They have Kops Kustard (ice cream for us Brits). I was trying to explain custard to them.

Custard goes on pudding.
Pudding is a distinct dish ie apple pie, spotted dick
Custard does not go on desert ie ice cream

Pudding is what you put on desert ie apple pie
Custard is ice cream

Confused
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Professor Henry Higgins wrote:
Why, in America they haven't spoken it in years."

When I watch British TV shows or movies on TV, I have to turn on the Closed Captioning so I can understand what they're saying.

Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thud419 wrote:
(and fanny is a very disreputable word, not to be used in anything like polite conversation.)

although quite acceptable to say Fanny's your Aunt Very Happy
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Titania wrote:
In the US a truck is a vehicle; in the UK truck is garbage.
In the US a CURB is the concrete riser at the edge of a street (that thing that has a ramp cut into it for wheelchairs Wink); in the UK a KERB is the gutter - the riser is the KERBSTONE.

A truck here is a truck.

Garbage is rubbish here.

A kerb is a kerb (the raised bit from the pavement (sidewalk)) here.

Gutter is the bit underneath the kerb.

Umm I'm a newbie so feel a little afraid to correct an oldie Wink
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ms Mockinatrix, they don't have custard?! Shocked

What do they put in their trifle? Confused

Wink

BTW: technically, Fanny was my great aunt.

ETA:
Titania wrote:
In the US a lift is something you give a hitchhiker; in the UK it's an elevator.

Huh? In the UK we give a lift to a hitch-hiker, but the tin box that gets you from one floor to another in a building is a "lift" in the UK, but an "elevator" in the USA.

Are you sure someone hasn't been pulling your leg? Or are you baiting us? Smile

Cellphone x14

Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thud419 wrote:
they don't have custard?! Shocked

What do they put in their trifle? Confused

Wink

BTW: technically, Fanny was my great aunt.

umm pudding? Confused

and Bob?
limburger
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great discussion, learning a few new ones here..

OK, I see above that in some cases, truck = truck but I could use some further clearing up here..

In the US, we have the very large (usually 18 wheel) 'semi' trucks which we just call semis.
It's the shorter delivery vehicles used by businesses that we would just call trucks.
And then there are pickup trucks or 'pickups' with 4 wheels that are owned by many citizens as their normal vehicle.

Could someone then clear up the UK 'Lorry' and where it fits in here?

so your job is to hack some body job you go die and you must run mad in this country all generation will go to hell fire i must get you and i will troll way you inside beach idiot as you hack my money and you crate email dey write richard as you do it i will spoil the job . idot --Steve F
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Branwen wrote:
But the Americans on the forum thought I meant, 'I jerked my dog's lead in a reprimanding manner,' and wondered why I was punishing him for nothing, and told me I was very wrong.

too funny! Laughing Laughing
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Could someone then clear up the UK 'Lorry' and where it fits in here?

'Lorry' is usualy a rigid, 4 or 6 wheeler truck, what the US call a 'semi' in the UK is an 'artic' - short for articulated.

In the Uk a 'semi' is a partly hard , er, erm, male body part. Oh. and a house attached to another on one side only.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Roy Laughing Laughing
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK - my understanding of Standard English is second-hand, gleaned from a friend who went to school there in the 60s. Embarassed Yes, I guess I am an oldie. Wink

And the lift vs. elevator thing I got from a British comic. I've also heard Brits talking about the "lift" meaning Mr. Otis's invention.

And I thought "pudding" in the UK was any dessert - sometimes also called "afters"? And in the US, pudding and custard are two different things. Confused

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are very few pickups in the UK, but we call them pickups. Truck is used, but anything you call a truck, we would be happier calling a lorry.

Pudding is the general term for desert, when we are not being posh enough to call it desert, but properly it refers to the really stodgy stuff like jam rolly-poly and spotted dick. I used the term "afters" in my youth - about the time your friend was here, but I haven't heard it recently.

Custard is a vanilla-flavoured sauce. I wouldn't call it a pudding, unless that was all I was eating.

Cellphone x14

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic