SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New York City, USA

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
El Sid
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi folks

I may well be coming to NYC, USA later this year and am after some 'inside' knowledge'.

Like any tourist I've done my reseach, places to go, sites to see, etc etc but does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit in the city?

Places to eat, cool shops (skater / ska / rock esk), clubs and bars?

Any info much appreciated!

ES

http:// mar mighty industries. webs. com/ (leave your baiter/catcher address in the guestbook)

Martin Shen: "I am convinced that you will not betray me immediately.."

Mansa Musa Kamara: "...you resemble the son a one pussy sucker and I think my guess is right. Yes, your name is bastard...the problem now is that no one knows if the gods will accept your blood for a sacrifice. Bastard you are and bastard will you remain..."

S0L0M0N Bo@tang: "Thanks for your response. The content is painstakingly understood." - yeahh lad-pain!!
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Depends on what your taste is.

I presume you've got things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and Ground Zero on your list.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
El Sid
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah absolutely, def Statue of Libery and def Ground Zero.

Re Ground Zero, I can't imagine what I'm going to see or how its going to feel. I'm from the UK so only ever seen it on TV but theres no way you can take in the size, I've no doubt it'll be a massive experiance.

My kind of tastes - generally quite alternative, so rock bars, skater clothe shops, I'm quite into sports as well so though about Madison Square Garden (that is in NYC right?....).

http:// mar mighty industries. webs. com/ (leave your baiter/catcher address in the guestbook)

Mansa Musa Kamara: "...you resemble the son a one pussy sucker and I think my guess is right. Yes, your name is bastard...the problem now is that no one knows if the gods will accept your blood for a sacrifice. Bastard you are and bastard will you remain..."

S0L0M0N Bo@tang: "Thanks for your response. The content is painstakingly understood." - yeahh lad-pain!!
Magnolia
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you like sports and you are there in the summer, both the Yankees and that other team (the Mets?) have brand new stadiums. Since one stadium is in Queens and one in the Bronx, it's also an easy way to plan some time outside of the Manhattan tourist route. And, after watching a game you will be that much better able to discuss why "football" is superior.

I'm not hip enough (or young enough) to know about skater shops etc., but whatever you are into, you will find a lot of if in NYC. Possibly more so in Brooklyn these days.

If it's summer, there is a pretty much endless series of free outdoor events (movies, concerts and so forth). Time Out New York should list those.

There's not much to see at Ground Zero, other than a construction site, but there is a lot to see nearby (Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge, some interesting churches and historic sites) so it's worth visiting the area.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I love going to NY. Luckily for me it's a lot closer Mr. Green

If you choose Statue of Liberty be ready for loooong lines.

Last time in NY my wife and I took in a lot of fun things: Museum of Natural History, Central Park, Dylans Candy shop, a hilarious show (Avenue Q), the Cloisters (north east Manhattan) and St Patrick's Cathedral. Even just walking around Times Square was fun. Oh yeah, and Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) where you can see for miles in every direction.

If you want to save a ton, stay just outside of Manhatten and take a train in and out of the city. It's not like you'll be in the hotel room very much.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Jack Pump
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Try eating in a real New York deli. The two that I recommend are

Carnegie Deli
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

Katz Deli
http://www.katzdeli.com/

Also try any one of the many New York pizza stands. There's too many to list. I think NY style pizza by the slice is great

I'm not a fan of New York hot dogs, I think Chicago does a much better dog.

Going down Mulberry Street in the Little Italy neighborhood of Manhattan is fun. It's filled with New York Italian restaurants.
El Sid
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
And, after watching a game you will be that much better able to discuss why "football" is superior.

Heh heh I imagine that'd be quite a hard sell over there!

Many thanks for everyone for contributions, its the kind local knowlegde I've been looking for that you can't find in a tourist book Very Happy

Eyyyyyyeee I canni wait lad!

Catcher In The Lie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi El Sid,

TripAdvisor is a great site and has a wealth of information on it for you. I'm not sure how long you are staying, but if it's just for a short visit whatever you do, don't ask about renting an apartment on the NYC forum. You can read the sticky's about it. 99% of them are illegal per the Dep't. of Housing laws (which obviously most travellers wouldn't know about) and there are a ton of rental scams on the internet for NYC rentals where unsuspecting people have sent deposits, only to find out either the place doesn't exist, or if it does, it's illegal and they find themselves out on the street. Crying or Very sad As we know, cyber scammers are hard to catch let alone prosecute, but of the few prolific ones that have been caught, most of them don't even live in the US.

You don't even have to join, unless there are specific questions you'd like to ask. You can just read the posts and find most of the answers, i.e. which are the best hotels to stay at for the value, best places to go and times to see them, restaurants, etc. The members/posters on the forum are a friendly, helpful, and sometimes cantankerous Laughing group......(mainly when people don't listen to their advice about apartment scams)

Hope you have a fantastic trip if you go!

butt-long linkey

Changed link to prevent forum blowout - crash

pony
"I don't want you to be burdered again." Ali the hitlad Sule
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am from the UK and loved my trip to New York

Great free views of the Manhattan Skyline on the Staten Island Ferry

The White Horse Tavern, 567 Hudson St., New York, NY 10014

Make sure you know what you want before you order at a NY diner or deli , you get a million questions.
Eggs , sunny side up or easy over
Bread white brown rye etc
Dressings ranch, blue cheese etc
You won’t be too popular if you hold up the line whilst asking what is easy over

If you don’t want to stand out like a tourist in Manhattan don’t look up at the tall buildings Wink

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Doodle Bug wrote:

If you don’t want to stand out like a tourist in Manhattan don’t look up at the tall buildings Wink

That's a definite. Pigeon hazard. It can blind ya.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

El Sid, I second, to the letter, absolutely everything the wonderful Bohigal said,m line for line, especially the "Original Rays" (there are 30 "original" Rays).

Bohigal, we need to talk!

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Magnolia
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I always have a difficult time choosing between Famous Rays, Original Rays, Famous Original Rays and Original Famous Rays. So I just go to Two Boots instead.
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh how could I forget John's Pizza on 44th, just west of Times Sq. Some of the best pizza in the WORLD, and they serve it on towers! If they are full, try Carmine's on the same block for good sitdown Italian.

Best people-watching IMO: Union Square. If you see a doctor playing homemade didgeridoos, thats my brother in law. Very Happy

Not too far from there is Strand Books, a ginormous 2nd hand bookstore. It is so big, it has sections like "South American Astrology" so you'll find something you like.

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
Wurzgnubbel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Village Vanguard, don't dare to miss it.

Any Broadway show, best one of the "old" ones (they currently play West Side Story, South Pacific, Hair), you can't go wrong with "Lion King", and "Billy Elliot" should be quite interesting.

And, of course, the MET. Tosca starts at $39, and if you're lucky Jonas Kaufmann is singing.

the test question here is still who is the bastard b@la h@ssan, so were did you change the test question, and there is no change in this slip, this is the first slip you sent to me, you are wasting my time and dont call me a bastard in your next mail. (Hitman B@la H@ssan)

Closed lad accounts 5x
Diana Prince
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, ES --

I grew up in The Bronx (the northernmost borough of the five which comprise New York City, although most travelers spend their time on the island/borough of Manhattan). I lived there for several decades, but now live elsewhere and visit only occasionally. Sounds like your tastes are quite different from mine, since I am absolutely unfamiliar with local hotspots and club scenes, and I am definitely not into sports. Nevertheless, I venture to propose five options:

1. Zabar’s “delicatessen” at 80th Street and Broadway . . . featuring breads, nova lox <hand-sliced salmon>, cheese, coffee, pastries . . . a NYCity standby for over 70 years.
Their store is a one-block-long brick-and-mortar exemplar of a classic American immigrant story -- enterprising merchants from Europe who established themselves as purveyors of extraordinary food.

http://www.zabars.com/our-store-on-broadway/OUR_STORE_ON_BROADWAY,default,pg.html

2. Hayden Planetarium < not far from Zabar’s >: Exhibits, scientific lectures, space shows under a domed projector theatre; opportunities to enjoy learning about the universe via high-tech presentations.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/

3. Japonica Japanese Restaurant -- very, very expensive menu, yes, but according to many food critics, New York’s best sushi restaurant, offering other options of authentic Japanese food as well. < It’s located way downtown in the heart of “the Village,” between Union Square and Washington Square, near the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 12th Street. > I ate there last time I was in NYCity. Yummm.

http://www.japonicanyc.com/

4. Forbidden Planet Bookstore < not far from Japonica >

Comics, toys, collectibles, science-fiction books and DVDs, manga, all sorts of stuff.
After eating at Japonica I purchased wonderful items related to my “Diana Prince” persona here on Eater, as well as my passion for the television series “Angel.”

http://www.fpnyc.com/

5. Also: I agree with Wurzgnubbel -- it would be well worth trying to see any Broadway show -- matinee or evening. NYCity is (along with London, of course) a mecca of live theatre. Most recently I saw “Mamma Mia” (I would give it only a grade of “B,” but it had full production values as well as a lively cast who came outside at the stage door to generously give autographs after the performance!). It will be hard to go wrong with any show, and the option of getting discounted last-minute tickets via TKTS, as Bohigal suggested, is usually a bargain.

Enjoy, enjoy, ES, and tell us all about it when you return!

Closed lad accountsEaster Egg
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing, I took my kids to the Empire State Building at 11PM, and there were no lines. It was packed up top, of course, but it was great.

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Jay leno
train boi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try eating at Wejenskys steak house, Cheap yet very filling, It is near The Waldorf=Astoria, I am from the UK aswell and went and found New York the hard way

My MoneyGram form
Version2 of the Moneygram form courtesy of manbiteslion with a 9 digit MTCN

nope please do not worry abt me any more i quit - Barr Jimmy Tan
HAVE YOU EVER TASTED HELL.YOU HAVE A DISEASE AND YOU REFUSE TO CURE IT.THAT IS FREE VISA TO HELL.YOU JUST LIED AND DECEIVE, I HAVE REPORTED YOU TO FBI AND JAY LENO SHOW - Fred W1lly
Free Pastor Frank
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm told the Rockefeller Centre is better value than the Empire State.

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The architecture at Rockefeller Center is pretty cool, and St. Patties is across 5th Avenue.

Central Park is wonderful, too.

jlc419
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bohigal wrote:

1/2 price tickets for Broadway & other shows at the TKTS booth in Times Sq or South Street Seaport.

If you go to Times Square don't forget to get a picture with the Naked Cowboy.
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

callum wrote:
I'm told the Rockefeller Centre is better value than the Empire State.

Agreed unless you have to say "I was there." BONUS: 30 Rock has a bar at the top.

Take the subway. With some advance planning you can get your routes straightened out and not worry about getting lost. The subway in NYC is the best show you'll see for the least amount of money.

Depending on when you go, NYC always has a variety of festivals, parades and other events, usually revolving around some certain ethnicity or special interest. Some of these can be quite fun.

Agreed as to seeing a play/musical. So many to choose from. I recommend (1) Avenue Q; (2) Billy Elliot; or (3) Hair (haven't seen this incarnation but is getting good reviews). TKTS is fine if you don't mind waiting in line.

Plan around your eating because it may involve some travel. I always like to eat cheaply during the day and then splurge on a nice dinner. I'm going to Peter Luger in Brooklyn in about 2 weeks. Now, admittedly, Luger's is a special event type of dining experience ($$$) but there are plenty of much more affordable places in all the Boroughs -- just depends on how much travel you are willing to do...

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
El Sid
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ ermmm all of the above Very Happy

Thanks to everyone who posted on here, some really helpful info to take with me!

Much appreciated y'all and I look forward to gracing this fair City Wink

ES

RayAdverb
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jack Pump wrote:
Try eating in a real New York deli. The two that I recommend are

Carnegie Deli
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

Katz Deli
http://www.katzdeli.com/

Also try any one of the many New York pizza stands. There's too many to list. I think NY style pizza by the slice is great

I'm not a fan of New York hot dogs, I think Chicago does a much better dog.

Going down Mulberry Street in the Little Italy neighborhood of Manhattan is fun. It's filled with New York Italian restaurants.

I go to New York occassionally on day trips, but since I live pretty close and it's not a HUGE deal, I wander around. I might book a hotel room for a few days come Labor Day weekend.

The World Trade Center site is pretty banal. It's a fenced off vacant lot with some memorial plaques around it. At least it was last time I went there in July 2007. Has construction started on a replacement structure yet?

I went to some deli near Times Square, but was so floored by the sky-high prices that I walked away. I think I went to Wendys or White Castle instead.
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
he World Trade Center site is pretty banal. It's a fenced off vacant lot with some memorial plaques around it.

I agree. Instead go straight to St Paul's, a little church that was in the shadow of the towers and still stands. They have a moving memorial there, both inside and out. Its a very historic chapel in its own right; George Washington used to worship there.

After wallowing at ground zero, I'd suggest clear your head and see how alive the city is again with a stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge, not too far away. Maybe check out City Hall Park and look up at City Hall on the way to the bridge.

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First my friends and now a fellow baiter gets to go too! No fairs! I wanna go! (Lives closer to Las Vegas and California). I hear it's quite expensive over there.

Anyhoo, have fun *and watch your back so you don't wake up dead in a dumpster. (*Joking)

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic