SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

how do i know if a scam is a scam??

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bubbybee
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i mean when there is no obvious request for funds/details etc

i just got an email from this person who contacted me via Y!A, and i contacted that person back with my email address, i didnt add anything else other than my email address.

this person contacted me back, from the looks of it it looks like a scam, what do you think? what should I reply??

Hello My Dear.
How is everything? i know it's all good .i am excited to read from you today .My dear as i told you in my last mail ,My name is Gift Aliyu, an ivorien in West Africa.Presently I am residing in the refugee camp here in Dakar Senegal,as a result of the Civil war going on in my country .I am a beautifully loving young girl of 23 years ,about 5'8" tall .Slim fit ,weighing about 61 kg.My father Dr Patric Aliyu was a successful business man,he deals on Gold and Diamond before the rebels attacked our house one evening and kill him with my mother and my only brother .I'm the only one alive from the family.By the grace of God I made my way to a near by country where I'm presently living as a refugee.My dear,I come in this site search for love and care which I have not gotten for a very long time since I lost my family members.I here by believe that time to come you will be my side and i will show you unreserved love respect through out my time.Dear ,I want to know more about you,your real name,Your real country,Your occupation,your age your hobbies and what you are doing presently .My hobbies are swimming ,dancing,singing,reading,watching movies and discussing politics .I have attached my pictures.In y next mail I will tell you more about my self.I waiting to your lovely reply with impatience.
Yours Forever in Love .
Gift

*she attached a picture too.
doob
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like a "lovers/dating" scam... those can be fun heheh
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
,My name is Gift Aliyu, an ivorien in West Africa.Presently I am residing in the refugee camp here in Dakar Senegal,as a result of the Civil war going on in my country .I am a beautifully loving young girl of 23 years ,about 5'8" tall .Slim fit ,weighing about 61 kg.My father Dr Patric Aliyu was a successful business man,he deals on Gold and Diamond before the rebels attacked our house one evening and kill him with my mother and my only brother .I'm the only one alive from the family.By the grace of God I made my way to a near by country where I'm presently living as a refugee.My dear,I come in this site search for love and care which I have not gotten for a very long time since I lost my family members.I here by believe that time to come you will be my side and i will show you unreserved love respect through out my time.Dear ,I want to know more about you,your real name,Your real country,Your occupation,your age your hobbies and what you are doing presently .My hobbies are swimming ,dancing,singing,reading,watching movies and discussing politics .I have attached my pictures.In y next mail I will tell you more about my self.I waiting to your lovely reply with impatience.

How do I know it's a scam???????

The whole letter is scammer garbage. I am willing to bet the pic is one you will find if you search pics in here, or Scamwarners. or better post the pic, and I'm sure someone will recognise it very quickly

There is no refugee camp, or there might be one, but I've never seen or been in one with internet acess.

They all have fathers who were incredibly rich, but rebels/family/bad men/army killed them

I won't put money on it, but within 3 or 4 emails, there will be a sick brother/sister/mother who needs a few dollars for medicine, then a few more dollars for an urgent operation for some dread disease that defiles all known science

I'd better stop now, I'm starting to sound like Craig

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
bubbybee
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I stated in my Y!A profile that I'm a GIRL and here she is saying all that..

haha how should I reply??
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi bubbybee and welcome to Eater!

It is a scam! Typically a refugee scam. How do I know? Well, I just googled the first part of the script,
Quote:
"How is everything? i know it's all good .i am excited to read from you today .My dear as i told you in my last mail ,My name is Gift Aliyu, an ivorien in West Africa.Presently I am residing in the refugee camp here in Dakar Senegal,as a result of the Civil war going on in my country .I am a beautifully loving young girl of 23 years ,about 5'8" tall .Slim fit ,weighing about 61 kg.My father Dr Patric Aliyu was a successful business man,he deals on Gold and Diamond before the rebels attacked our house one evening and kill him with my mother and my only brother .I'm the only one alive from the family.By the grace of God I made my way to a near by country where I'm presently living as a refugee."

And this is the result: Long Linky

Yep, it's a scam. Wink

So feel free to bait 'her' (it is most likely a him) and have fun! Very Happy

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That is a very typical scam format. Probably going for a love scam but if someone isn't interested in that then he has left room to later add that "she" is also in possession of a trunk box filled with cash. It will be in a security company. This will cost you to have it delivered. Not to mention you have to pay for affidavits and other nonsense.

The picture "she" sent you was lifted off of the Internet. I am willing to bet it in no way resembles a refugee.

Also, how likely do you think that a refugee who's family was recently murdered would turn to the Internet for love? Don't you think she would have more pressing matters to attend to?

Bait away Very Happy

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
the_traveler
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just started harvesting yesterday and have at least for VERY similar messages in my in box right now. It's a scam, have fun! Let us know how it turns out, from one newbie to the other Razz
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're right, it is a scam. It's part romance, part cash-based. 'She' will soon need your assistance (probably with the male 'pastor' who answers calls for her) in liberating her multi-zillion dollar fortune, whilst all the time falling unrealistically in love with you. It's like a badsitcom plotline that plays out in your very own inbox. Bait hard!

If you ever wonder if something like this is a scam, play along for a couple or few emails, the scammers true colours show through pretty soon. The moment they mention Western Union or MoneyGram, you know for sure...

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

if you have a catcher mail that you don't use and haven't published to anyone EXCEPT scammers, you won't get anyone EXCEPT scammers mailing that account Smile

Click here to support 419Eater.com pony pony
Mortar x5 Nurse Nastys Audi TT
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, bubbybee, and welcome to Eater!Very Happy

Just to clarify - is this your REAL email addy? Because if it is, you don't want to use it for baiting. You can still bait the whatever out of the scammer - just not from that email address. Get a safe, IP-stripping email account that has none of your real details, answer "her" as if she had written to that addy (trust me, the lad won't know).

Have you done all the things we harp on here - read the stickies, get a mentor, make sure your baiting safe? If you have, then - happy baiting!

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ignore any what-ifs. The lad wants your money and has never looked in your Y! profile. Bait as a girl and pretend to be ... into that sort of thing, i guess, or generate a male email address, copy the email and go at him as a fella.

Whatever you do don't bait using your own email address, and use Gmail or similar to strip your IP. have fun, keep your teeth sharp.

bubbybee
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hello guys!

thanks for all your tips and replies!

could i ask, how do i get an ip-stripping email addy? the one she emailed was my main gmail account. is gmail an ip-stripping email addy? in that case i would have to get another one.

can all my details be traced just by ip address?? Confused

this is her.

[/img]
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bubbybee wrote:
Hello My Dear.
How is everything? i know it's all good .i am excited to read from you today .My dear as i told you in my last mail ,My name is Gift Aliyu, an ivorien in West Africa.Presently I am residing in the refugee camp here in Dakar Senegal,as a result of the Civil war going on in my country .I am a beautifully loving young girl of 23 years ,about 5'8" tall .Slim fit ,weighing about 61 kg.My father Dr Patric Aliyu was a successful business man,he deals on Gold and Diamond before the rebels attacked our house one evening and kill him with my mother and my only brother .I'm the only one alive from the family.By the grace of God I made my way to a near by country where I'm presently living as a refugee.My dear,I come in this site search for love and care which I have not gotten for a very long time since I lost my family members.I here by believe that time to come you will be my side and i will show you unreserved love respect through out my time.Dear ,I want to know more about you,your real name,Your real country,Your occupation,your age your hobbies and what you are doing presently .My hobbies are swimming ,dancing,singing,reading,watching movies and discussing politics .I have attached my pictures.In y next mail I will tell you more about my self.I waiting to your lovely reply with impatience.
Yours Forever in Love .
Gift

Need I say more?

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
beckythatcher
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice furniture they have at that refugee camp.

*Of M7CNS3cure - "honey sincerely this is really hard work and i have been sitting here all day trying to fix it all but once i make any mistake i have to start all over again and i am getting pissed off"
* are you the person making this mistake or are you doing this intentionally?......just pissed right now

Safari Jack - Enugu to Lagos - thanks OD! "I am going through alot of pains here. if i had known i would not have come to lagos let alone allowing myself to be starnded." - 13 days!
Safari James - Lagos to Port Harcourt to Calabar "Now they are on the street looking for where to sleep

Closed lad accounts x 18 pony Ninja United Kingdom x4 Sweden x2 China United States
I'm going shopping! $39,977.80 in fake checks
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi bubbybee!

bubbybee wrote:
could i ask, how do i get an ip-stripping email addy? the one she emailed was my main gmail account. is gmail an ip-stripping email addy? in that case i would have to get another one.

Gmail strips your IP. You can check this out for yourself. Send yourself a test email. Then get the headers and copy and paste them all into here: http://headertool.apelord.com/ and see what it shows you. Gmail will replace your IP with theirs.

What do you mean 'main gmail account'? Do you mean your personal email account? One that you signed up for with your RL details? If that is the case, then you should just stop using that one and get yourself a nice new one; one that you sign up for with fake details. And then use that one to bait with. Wink

Quote:
can all my details be traced just by ip address?? Confused

If you use an email account that does not strip your IP, such as yahoo, then IF someone checked your IP, it would show where your ISP is located, not necessarily where YOU are located. For some people, that is hundreds of miles away from where they actually are. For others, it is the next town over. The only way for you to know is for you to check your IP yourself. You can click here and see where your IP is: http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ Where does it show you? (You don't have to tell me! Laughing )

Quote:
this is her.

You know that's not really 'her' right? Wink

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Internet access at a refugee camp... Image

Sexy posed picture... Image

Hello My Dear... Image

You get the picture...

... oops, I made a funny... Image

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
r2d2
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bubbybee wrote:
it looks like a scam, what do you think?

i had an open mind about it

until i got beyond the word 'hello' Wink

i agree with those who think you will find that 'dr aliyu' has stashed some valuables in a trunk box,
and the girl will need a white knight to recover the trunk box for her.
she may not want money for herself, but whoever has the trunk box will need paying off Arrow scam
she will go through the damsel in distress routine to push the victim into helping her, and this might look like a love scam,
but i suspect the victim will be told to pay money to the warehouse holding the trunk box.
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She looks like she is in a pretty swank refugee camp. Tell her you are unemployed and homeless and ask if there is room there for you.

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Jasper
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You know, I got curious a while back about these "refugee camps"
Here's a web site to look at: www.buduburam.com
It's in Ghana. They have computer classes for them and there's even a chat room on there! I thought it was interesting.

Closed lad accounts x9 Easter Egg
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a Lad who claimed he was at that camp, and suffering and starving etc etc. He sent me that Link. I wrote back:

Quote:
I had a look at that website you sent the link for, and a few others. I was surprised at all the facilities there, market, supermarket, churches, mosques, basketball, the sites said its more like a town than a camp! But I read that one of the problems there is medical care, and I found that the Africa Aid organisation have a Buduburam Project running at the moment, so I sent them an online donation of £500 for it, I suppose its a drop in the ocean really, but maybe it'll make a little difference.

He wasn't a happy chappy.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
beckythatcher
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ clapping clapping

*Of M7CNS3cure - "honey sincerely this is really hard work and i have been sitting here all day trying to fix it all but once i make any mistake i have to start all over again and i am getting pissed off"
* are you the person making this mistake or are you doing this intentionally?......just pissed right now

Safari Jack - Enugu to Lagos - thanks OD! "I am going through alot of pains here. if i had known i would not have come to lagos let alone allowing myself to be starnded." - 13 days!
Safari James - Lagos to Port Harcourt to Calabar "Now they are on the street looking for where to sleep

Closed lad accounts x 18 pony Ninja United Kingdom x4 Sweden x2 China United States
I'm going shopping! $39,977.80 in fake checks
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jasper wrote:
Here's a web site to look at: www.buduburam.com
It's in Ghana. They have computer classes for them and there's even a chat room on there! I thought it was interesting.

Interesting find Jasper. This is from the website:
Quote:
As you know the knowledge of computers and technology is no longer optional. Regardless of your career choice, you must be computer literate to be successful. Hopefully not teaching scammingOur main goal at The Cyber Camp is to provide the necessary computer training our youth need to be leaders in this new millennium. or owners of a cybercafe...

The Cyber Camp was founded in 1998, in Brooklyn, NY and has grown to include locations in Jacksonville, Fl and Greensboro, NC. We are now developing a special program in Ghana. There are refugees there? Well, I guess there could be...We will service students from ages 4 and up. Our pilot program in Ghana will be on the Buduburam Camp and also in Okponglo.

We offer a robust curriculum that covers knowledge of hardware, software, and the Internet. Each age group has a different set of goals to accomplish. All students will be encouraged to strive for excellence and to display their own personal creativity at all times. Photoshop skills will improveEvery week there is a new skill to be mastered, both individual and using partners. Student work will be displayed for the review. Because of the importance of typing when using the Internet and other programs, all students are required to practice typing 15 minutes a day. I wonder if proper use of the caplock will be taught...

We will focus on using computers as a tool for academic reinforcement. Special computer programs will teach reading, writing, and math. There will be special computer games to enhance the memory and build critical thinking skills.It might be harder to safari these folks...

I know, I know I have made light of a serious program. I hope that their Cyber Camp will take a hard line on scamming... Evil or Very Mad

Back OT, If this "princess" is at one of these camps, I doubt that "she" will be hiding her trunk boxes very easily... .

I am also confident that scamming would be frowned on by real refugee camps, that have internet access... that are training leaders for the 21st century... Confused

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
El Sid
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Surely the 'acid test' is when you send them you're life savings and then never hear from them again... not recommended but a sure-fire method Wink

http:// mar mighty industries. webs. com/ (leave your baiter/catcher address in the guestbook)

Martin Shen: "I am convinced that you will not betray me immediately.."

Mansa Musa Kamara: "...you resemble the son a one pussy sucker and I think my guess is right. Yes, your name is bastard...the problem now is that no one knows if the gods will accept your blood for a sacrifice. Bastard you are and bastard will you remain..."

S0L0M0N Bo@tang: "Thanks for your response. The content is painstakingly understood." - yeahh lad-pain!!
r2d2
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

how can such a logical answer be sooo wrong? Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic