SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is there a botanist in the house? **Sorted**

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone identify this weed that sprung up in an empty field next to my house? I have never seen anything like it, and they have everyone in the neighborhood scratching their heads.

Does anyone know a good botany forum that I could post this in?

Last edited by Pastor Frank on Thu May 14, 2009 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
HarvestMoon
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know even what country you are in...but my area we use the Rutgers University site. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/thumbnail.asp Also US, but this is good site: http://weedid.aces.uiuc.edu/

Do a Google Search for "weed identification" and your area.

It kind of looks like some type of bamboo...but no leaves?

"You must really think i am a fool.God punish you for taking me for a joke" Dead George
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^I'm in Minnesota.

Thanks for the links, Ill take a look.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It looks like a weed I used to see at summer camp in Michign in the summer. If I remember correctly I think it had alligator in the name. But that was 20 years ago, and I am probably off.

If you pull on it, it will not break, but the pieces will separate at the dark rings. And it will look kinda serrated. They smell funny too.

Also, in RL I do some backyard ponding. The website I go to for ponding has related plant sites. Here is the one for native US plants, and it seems active as far as postings go:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/natives/

Good luck and report back the name will you?

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

YOU ATE OUR MONEY AND YOU START MOCKING US--Bishop Anthony

Fake Checks Received= $63,487 US
Boston George
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't help you on the name, but when we were kids we used to throw a big pile of those stems onto the campfire.

It wood make a neat popping sound as it burned. I guess the air in each section would expand to the point where it would explode like popcorn.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tastysnack wrote:
Good luck and report back the name will you?

I will. I just emailed a professor of botany at the University of Minnesota and asked for help in identifying it.

Edit^^^
Quote:

Postwhore! Laughing

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL.....yes, my plan is working.....I should reach 100 posts sometime in the year 2024 Wink
Boston George
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Perhaps a type of "Horsetail"

http://www.puritan.com/vf/healthnotes/HN_live/Herb/Horsetail.htm
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't have a good sense of scale from your pic but it looks like Japanese knotweed. It's starting to invade our neighborhood too (Nord'east).

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
HarvestMoon
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Laughing

Pastor Frank... Could be some kind of Horsetail. The immature form looks something like that. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EQHY

"You must really think i am a fool.God punish you for taking me for a joke" Dead George
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^That looks exactly like it. It is interesting that it is described as a "wetland" plant, I wonder how it spread here.

Edit: I think the mystery is solved. Thanks gang.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a pretty crappy photoshop Pastor Frank. We can all see that your plant is MUCH different than the one on the computer. The colors are off, and the size is even different.

Your going to have to work harder than that to convince us. Besides you didn't even have the red seal of truth to verify your submission. Or the scales of justice, at a minimum.

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tastysnack wrote:
Or the scales of justice, at a minimum.

Better?

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say you found your plant. Like a lad though, you made us do all the work Rolling Eyes

music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@PF

You sure you are in Minnesota? Looks more like Texas from here!

We have a lot of "mares tail" here but it seems to be a lot smaller ( max 12")

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
HarvestMoon
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think there are different varieties.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tastysnack wrote:
Like a lad though, you made us do all the work Rolling Eyes

Let me fix that for you.

Like a good baiter, I made you do all the work. Laughing

Thanks again everyone.

Edit:
music man wrote:
@PF

You sure you are in Minnesota?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe I should lock this.

If that thing can thrive in the dust bowl in your picture, it'll probably spread all over the forum. Confused

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The original question has been sorted. I would not object to a lock, I would hate to see this turn into a PWT. Laughing

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm just trying to figure out why I remembered calling it alligator grass, when it's not.

Thanks for the memories of camp though.

How north in MN are you Frank? I've been up through Portage/Gunflint Trail area many a time. The boundry waters are awesome. Great fishing!

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I live in the Twin Cities, but my cabin is up near Brainerd.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And before anyone asks, the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are NOT separated by the Mississippi River.

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Laughing

We need to get together soon up in Nor'east for a beer.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bump, for those that were actually interested in this thread.

Confirmed as horsetail, here is the reply I received from a professor of botany at the University of Minnesota.

Quote:
Hi....it is a horsetail in the genus Equisetum. they are non-flowering plants and also called scouring rushes because the silica rich stems were presumably used to clean pots/dishes by the early settlers, etc. I'm less certain of the species but it may be Equisetum arvense - i'm away from my office for awhile and don't have my books to confirm. You could do a check of the different species of horsetails in, say, the USDA plants database or other source. Many of the horsetails prefer low moist soils, though this one clearly doesn't mind a little sand.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the update! From the descriptions I read it sounds like a rather annoying weed.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic