SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

A curious twist to an old fraud

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
spot

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
S. B. writes: My bank, Barclays, cleared a cheque for £6,900 that I received from someone purchasing my motorcycle. The payment included shipping costs that I had to pass on. Barclays confirmed the cheque had cleared and allowed me to draw £3,400 and send it to the shipper. Two weeks later the bank debited the £6,900, leaving me in debt.

The unusual thing (as I read it) is that the victim's bank had told him that he had received a fakkey, but when he received another counterfeit he sent money to the scammer. ..... and the bank offered him a refund Shocked

However the victim didn't think that the amount was enough . Read on ....

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/money/article-1176714/TONY-HETHERINGTON-A-curious-twist-old-fraud.html

Note the difference between "Available" and "Cleared" Funds.

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From the article

Quote:
This second cheque was drawn on a Dublin bank account, even though your buyer said he was in Australia.

You have to say 'What was the victim thinking ?' to accept a second cheque after having the first one reported as a fake, and why accept a foreign cheque - as Southern Ireland is a foreign country as regards the UK.

In simple terms a bank will either 'negotiate' or 'collect' a foreign cheque, and may make that decision for you based on their own custom and practice. If it's negotiated you'll never be told when it's cleared, you are effectively loaned the money against the cheque clearing at some future date. You are charged a nominal amount for interest.

If it's collected, you will get told when it's cleared, but it could easily take a month or more to clear and even then they're likly to have recourse against you for a counterfeit cheque. They can always introduce the police as you have passed counterfeit paper, and you could end up arguing yourself into prison.

It sounds to me as if the cheque was negotiated, which was an innappropriate method to use, as clearance would never be confirmed. Banks assume customers know what they're doing, and using common sense to protect themselves. Accepting cheques from strangers is dangerous - to accept foreign cheques after having already received a dud one shows that this customer was flying on empty.

As the journalist said - the customer was offered a ridiculously generous settlement by the bank but lost it when he went to the FOS. You just can't talk sense into some people.

He's a victim but missed every opportunity to avoid his loss.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Unfortunate" describes the victim at first. Then "lucky" when the bank offered to refund the actual amount lost (I don't know of many banks that would do that - most would send a copper over to ask you a few uncomfortable questions). Then "greedy" when he demanded the full amount of the check.

IMO he'll get what he deserves. Wink

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
He was fortunate at first. The first check was identified as fake before he had a chance to make a WU payment.
I feel sorry for scam victims, but make an exception in this case.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
atlanteana
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

how interesting . i am loath to use this term in respect of fraud victims normally but this guy was a prize fool . he could have made the money he lost back but did'nt . this is the first time i have ever heard of a bank offering a refund on monies lost to fraud . sadly for other victims it will probably be the last time too .

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic