SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

The costs of this crime

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ihatespam
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That made me think a little:

"the scammers who are Nigerians have created a reputation problem for their countrymen. They've made it more difficult for legitimate Nigerian bussine people to do business, especially internationally. This is a cost of crime that isn't often mentioned. J.D. Abolins"

at: http://jabolins.20six.co.uk/jabolins/art/21627646/419-Scammers-Get-Scammed-by-ScamBaiters

What do you think of that?

--------------------

Besides that matter, does anyone have updated statistics about the losses caused by scams?
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is definitely a factor.

I don't think it disqualifies legitimate Nigerian businesses neccessarily, but it certainly casts them under a greater degree of scrutiny. But that isn't solely credited to 419 scammers I think.

I believe that any country with an unstable/corrupt government, horrific economic status, and a thriving criminal element (of any kind) is going to have problems.

Columbia is a loose example. And how many 419'ers are there in that country?

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here for dirty nasty pr0n!!1]</a>
pony pony pony
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x6
Star
ihatespam
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with you, blah;

You mentioned those countries and I remembered what I read once. It seems that the governments of those poor countries (not Colombia, more like Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Ivory Coast) do not care much about those crimes. After all, they bring money to the economy, which is already fragile, so the fiscalization is null.
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe in using Colombia as an example, blah was trying to make the point that any form of criminal activity that is connected with a particular country - and seems to be "overlooked" by the government in power (drugs, for example, or terrorism) will color the general perception of the country as a whole.

If 2% of the population of Nigeria is engaged in internet fraud (as has been stated - although how anyone came by that number is baffling), that means that 98% are NOT scammers. The law-abiding percentage gets tarred by the same brush as the criminals because most people in the world only hear of Nigeria in relation to scamming.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a problem. I know for sure that Nigeria and Africa in general is a big market for satellite antennas because of the 2010 FIFA world cup coming up and so many people wanting to get in downlinks and TVROs, but it's such a problem doing business there that the bank won't run our usual invoice financing program there. I think a good agent in the area would be useful, because I'm very wary indeed of getting into that market.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic