SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

HMRC scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bramle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

At 3 pm on a Saturday, I get a call for someone claiming to be from HMRC saying that there was a debt recovery problem and I was being contacted by the "Shipley Debt Management Unit".

I listened warily as the inevitable questions began about extracting my personal details.

A female English accent warned of consequences and the "urgency" of dealing with it. She was a cold as ice. There were other clues in the call that didn't add up either.

I owe no-one anything, and HMRC have not written to me to say otherwise.

I am reminded so often never to give personal details out over the 'phone. I didn't.

It's a damn scam. The number I was asked to call was 0845 3021427 and an internet search betrays that it is a long-running saga, from at least a year ago...

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08453003950

It looks like my telephone number and name have fallen into the hands of someone they shouldn't. I wonder how? I shan't wonder long. I can guess. Lost CD with no password comes to mind.

She wasn't calling from that number either, but from 0845 3003950 (also revealed by the same search).

Damn it guys, does the law do anything to stop these people? That's more than a year.

Whom do I contact to help stop this fraud?
General419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bramle wrote:
It looks like my telephone number and name have fallen into the hands of someone they shouldn't. I wonder how?

All they have to do is grab the trusty blue cat (Thomson Phone Book Razz).

Either that, or jump over to 192.com.

It probably works like our 419 lads do. Call up a load of people, most people ignore you, some naive person will bite eventually and pay day has arrived.

What to do? I suppose all you can do is call the local police force (or Constabulary, as some forces like to be called...) (Clicky) on their non-emergency number. It should be quite prominent on their website. Whether they'll do much about it? Goodness knows.

//EDIT: Wow I never realised there was an Emergency Text Number... I can imagine: "plz hlp attk und brdg @ trn stat", with the officers thinking: "WTF?"

George - "please stop calling me okay thanks."
Cliford - "YARRRRRRRRRRRR YOUR TIME IS UP SO YOU WILL BE KIDNAP ANY TIME FROM NOW"
Mark - "I would lactate because I broke the law"
Charles - "your church will luquidate and you shall move from grace to grass..you foolish old ass-hole called revererend...bastard."
Cliford - "and even the police or fbi can not get me i work with them so if you fill you they will help you haa haa haa haa"

Get a shiny ORANGE name! Try clicking here!
Bramle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

General :

Thanks.

One guy has said that when he read out a made-up NI number to the telephone fraudster, they checked it by typing then pronounced it "not coming up".

I think they have access to more than a 'phone book.

What was chilling was the "matter of fact" English female accent, festooned with reference numbers and "urgency" and the fact that this tactic has been running for over a year.
B8er
Associate Boomdazzler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

UK NI numbers have certain validation rules. A quick Google has shown at least one on-line checker to see if a particular NI number is valid.

They are probably using something like that and the person who gave the fake number, probably just picked a bad one.

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip 🚽
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1746 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
Jay leno
train boi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Bramle

Police reply to the text "WTF are you on today? Are you a druggie please send name and address of you and dealer so we can send lads round to arrest you kthnx"

My MoneyGram form
Version2 of the Moneygram form courtesy of manbiteslion with a 9 digit MTCN

nope please do not worry abt me any more i quit - Barr Jimmy Tan
HAVE YOU EVER TASTED HELL.YOU HAVE A DISEASE AND YOU REFUSE TO CURE IT.THAT IS FREE VISA TO HELL.YOU JUST LIED AND DECEIVE, I HAVE REPORTED YOU TO FBI AND JAY LENO SHOW - Fred W1lly
Free Pastor Frank
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seeing as you had a nice lady with a frosty English accent calling via an 0845, it sounds like our crooks are in the UK - which makes the likelihood of arrest so much sweeter. You don't fuck with HMRC, that's the governments money. Anyway I suggest passing all the info you have to both your local police and HMRC themselves, there will be no issues about getting the 0845 provider to reveal the caller ID, and if it's a landline or contract mobile, they're fucked. Even PAYG or VOIP they have a fairly healthy risk of being fucked. All good.

Associate Boomdazzler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

These crooks have at least done some good - they've reminded me that I need to do my VAT return for the last quarter!

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip 🚽
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1746 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic