SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I really can't work out what the point of this is...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sickofcrapmail
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had two emails tonight, both of them bypassed the spam filter, but both of them with an attachment.

Content of email one:

open the attached 3 million dollars lotto info.

Content of email two:

OPEN THE ATTACHED FILE

I thoroughly scaned the .doc files before opening them, one was a lotto scam, the other a "we have recovered your funds - but titled 0PEN THE ATTACHED FILE FOR PRIZE NOTIFICATION"

I've seen it before, not often, but I've been hit with the two tonight. Surely most "normal" people wouldn't open an attachment from anyone they didn't know.

As a scamming technique it's got to be the least productive way of getting a victim hasn't it, surely most would think that an email in this format would be a virus and delete without reading?

Contact numbers were +27 (South Africa) but one was gmail and the other telkomsa.net (Never heard of and unable to retrieve any header information).

Is there any logic to sending scam through this format? I'm personally hoping that its a step in the right direction Laughing .

Not going to bait the lotto one as I don't do them, but the other is fair game for me.

Any thoughts?
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have received some of those. I just bait the blindly not knowing what the script is (does it really matter?).

I think that their thought is an "official" lottery would send an attachment, of intended victims have accidentally educated the lad that "real" businesses send attachments.

Regarding this statement:
Quote:
Surely most "normal" people wouldn't open an attachment from anyone they didn't know.

I disagree as that is the very way many worms (not our member Big Worm) and viruses are spread. Many people click on attachements with no thought at all, just like the people that fall for phishing. Sad

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Ivana
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know in my mail it will show a small image of the attachment - and I would think that if it looked official (seal, professional heading, etc.) people won't thing twice about clicking the attachment.

I've caught myself about to open an attachment from someone I know is a scammer just to see what they have to say -- and then remember BAD IDEA !!!

spent a night in jail for "wondering aimlessly"in benin city - Kelvin

"that i might be talking with an antichrist" - Kelvin
"thanks for all your effort witch never prove positive" - kelvin over m7cn s3cur3
"is hard ok i can not sleep becouse of it" - due to m7cn s3cur3 - Kelvin
"i even had a sleepless night because of it" - 2nd lad, m7cn again Very Happy
"i cant go through the stress overnight again" - 3rd lad from M7CN
General419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In my opinion, ultimately, it doesn't matter what their modality is. If you dangle the proverbial carrot in front of the lad's nose, he will adapt. I've heard of plenty of lads who start out as NOK and turn into love lads. They are greedy, and wherever the monies are they will flock. Wink

George - "please stop calling me okay thanks."
Cliford - "YARRRRRRRRRRRR YOUR TIME IS UP SO YOU WILL BE KIDNAP ANY TIME FROM NOW"
Mark - "I would lactate because I broke the law"
Charles - "your church will luquidate and you shall move from grace to grass..you foolish old ass-hole called revererend...bastard."
Cliford - "and even the police or fbi can not get me i work with them so if you fill you they will help you haa haa haa haa"

Get a shiny ORANGE name! Try clicking here!
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

General419 wrote:
If you dangle the proverbial carrot in front of the lad's nose, he will adapt.

Amen. I had a NOK lad flip his script and join my church within a matter of a week. I still have him on the hook for over a year, and several nice trophies.

I find that having a church is the easiest way to do it. Say thanks, but because of church regulations you can not accept any lottery money, (or find any other moral high ground as a reason).

But then introduce him to your "church" and dangle the carrot. (church grants, new mission offerings, outreach grants, charity benefit proceeds...ect).

Remember, you get to lie also! Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic