SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Lousy week so far... now with added wreckage

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not often I post much personal stuff on here, but just felt the need to unload.

Last November, youngest daughter (nearly 19) did her CBT (basic motorcycle training) & I sold her my old bike. She also did additional training at the bike school & came out with me on a few Sunday mornings. Whole point of this was so she could have her own transport for work (she works shifts). She hadn't got to the stage of using the bike regularly & hadn't been out 'solo'.

On Wednesday, she went out with a couple of her friends on bikes, just to get some practise. At around 3:30pm I got a phone call from wifey to say daughter had been in an RTA.

When I got up to the hospital, she'd just had a CT scan. She was very lucky. There was a query as to whether or not she'd had an inter-crainal bleed, but on further inspection of the scan results the neuro decided there wasn't any real evidence for it. They kept her in for observation until this morning.

Luckily, she was wearing full bike gear - proper jacket with armour in the elbows & shoulders, cordura pants with armour at the knee, boots, gloves & of course, a helmet. The helmet lining has been compressed heavily on the right side, corresponding with a lot of bruising on her right cheek & eye. Although she's badly bruised, she's not broken anything & the docs say the clothing probably saved her from serious injury.

She doesn't remember anything about the accident - not even where it happened. However, one of the hospital porters was behind her in his car & was able to tell us. Apparently, she'd just left her friends & was coming home on her own. There's a junction not far from here with a filter for traffic turning right. For whatever reason, she didn't notice that the filter light had gone off & traffic was starting to move across the junction from the other side. She started to turn right & ran into the side of a bus! The witness thought she'd gone under the back wheels.

Thankfully, she's ok apart from being stiff & sore. She said she'd really been enjoying the ride until the accident happened.

She still wants to carry on riding. That's something we'll have to think about. The bike's a write-off, so she won't be back on it soon!

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>

Last edited by iMike on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is why I HATE motorbikes.

Glad she escaped serious injury.

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Sid Vicious
Master Baiter

Location: The medicine cabinet woofing down @ load of Paracetemols ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear shes going to be fine.. The armour that is now being used is a great lifesaver. In the long run it is probably a good thing that she cannot remember anything about the accident as this tends to play on the mind and lessens confidence that is needed when learning to ride/drive any vehicle.

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[CLUNK CLICK ]</a>
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Cachuma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow...I'm SO glad that she's alright! I have an 18 yr old daughter, and I can just imagine the worry you've been going through. I'm also in a family of bikers - hubby collects vintage British and Italian motorcycles, and he and my 17-yr-old son go dirtbiking. Son wants to get a street bike, but I've been vetoing that so far. It scares the crap out of me. You are just SO exposed on a motorcycle.

Closed lad accounts x15 Malaysia X1 United Kingdom X1

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified.
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't hate bikes - quite the opposite, I use one for commuting to work in summer. Neither wifey nor I want to go down the route of "While you're living in this house you will NOT, etc, etc..."

Now she knows what happened, she realises the accident was her fault - whether through distraction, inattention or whatever. Even if she'd been in a car the accident would still have happened. Granted, the injuries wouldn't have been quite the same, though.

Once she's properly recovered, I think I might suggest she takes driving lessons. At least she'll learn more roadcraft in relative safety & with an instructor.

Closed lad accounts x2

"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow...that must have been quite a scare Mike! I'm happy to hear she's doing fine - and driving lessons sounds like a great idea.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Pachanga
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am glad your daughter is okay, iMike. Thank goodness she had all that gear on!

Closed lad accounts

Click here to support 419Eater.com
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^the two friends she was out with were both wearing jeans & nylon jackets. Mad

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm glad to see that your daughter was wearing full gear - she obviously learned something from her parents/instructors. And I'm glad there was no serious or permanent damage to her. The bike can be replaced.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Phisterpin
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ATGATT....All The Gear All The Time. Sounds like you have taught her that already, good for you. Glad it paid off for all and she recovers quickly.
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so glad your daughter is going to be fine and her injuries were fairly minimal considering the situation. Thank goodness she was wearing the proper safety equipment. I imagine it is a parent's worse nightmare in getting a call about their child being in an accident.

Motorcycles scare the living and dead daylights out of me. I will no longer ride on one. It's more about most car drivers not looking out for motorcycles and focusing only on cars that bothers me the most. For that reason, I'm extra careful to make sure I look out for motorcycles when I'm driving. I live in a warm weather climate so they're out year round.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jump_4_joy

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm glad she came out fairly OK. Personally I never ride without wearing the full Monty. This is a good example why one shouldn't. Hope she'll recover soon and will enjoy riding bikes again quickly too.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the good wishes.

She`s not particularly bothered about the bike at the moment - she`s more miffed that they cut off her jacket, band t-shirt & a brand new bra!

I never ride without full protection. The only concession is a pair of kevlar lined jeans if it`s really hot.

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

the vampire
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Does your daughter know hoe extremely lucky she was? She must have a guardian angel.
PRS Girly Girl wrote:
It's more about most car drivers not looking out for motorcycles and focusing only on cars that bothers me the most. For that reason, I'm extra careful to make sure I look out for motorcycles when I'm driving. I live in a warm weather climate so they're out year round.

How true. I can't remember how many times i nearly had a collision due to that fact and in all the years i ride a motorbike i had just one accident. I was able to break before collision so there was not too much damage, i was able to ride the bike home.

I'm always right! - Branwen
GoatEaster Egg Penguin Pole Dancer Purple Flower Mc Fry
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't think it's quite sunk in with her yet. We've still got to pick the bike up (that's another story - £150 recovery plus £10 per day storage costs!!). That's happening on Tuesday. I rang the garage up, wondering if the bike was in a rideable condition (I'm insured to ride it so would have brought it home). They said it definately wasn't rideable, so I'm guessing it's completely trashed. Once she sees the state of it she might realise how lucky she was.

I've had a couple of near misses myself - usually from cars / vans pulling out of side roads without looking & buses pulling away from stops. I permanently ride with my left thumb over the horn button in traffic!

We've brought her up to the caravan for the weekend to let her (& us!) relax a little. Most of the bruising on her face has gone down already. She's quite quiet at the moment & spends a fair bit of time asleep. Probably for the best.

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

writeon
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Enjoy your weekend and a speedy recovery to the whole family.

"MY FINANCE DEPARTMENT TOLD'S ME TODAY THAT THE WESTERN UNION FORM YOU SENT WAS NOT VALID AND ELUCID" - Dr Frank Johnson

THERE IS A MURDER CASE WHICH I ENGAGE MY SELF INTO TO MAKE SURE THE CLIENT IS NOT KILLED BY HANGING, BUT I THANK GOD TODAY THAT THE CLIENT SUCIDED IN GOING TO JAIL INSTEAD OF HANGING TO DEATH,THAT IS THE REASON WHY I DIDN,T GET BACK TO YOU SOON. - Mohammed Traore

PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE AM BURNING I MEAN I AM IN BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE RED SEA PLEASE. - Ruth
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so glad she's OK
A bike can be replaced, a life can't
Maybe it wall make her a better biker, a wee bit more cautious in future.
Arnica is wonderful for bruises.

I baulked when my daughter wanted to start biking, even though I used to ride a bike at the same age.
I got her driving lessons instead, she still works in a bike shop, still looking for an apprenticeship Wink
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

iMike, I am so glad your daughter is alright! Working in an ER/Level I Trauma Center, I have seen so many horrible accidents with bikes. I am always amazed what little people will wear while riding one.

However, I also know accidents can happen no matter what you are riding/drive or even being in your own home. So as long as someone is willing to give me a ride on their Harley, I will gladly go! Wink

Have a great and relaxing weekend with your daughter and family! Very Happy

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Think I've found out why she's so quiet - she's pissed at her boyfriend & now decided she fancies someone else Smile

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

Larson
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm glad to hear your daughter is alright. Good thing she was wearing that gear.

listen i don't beg you money if you don't interested through this transaction please kindly remove your hand and stop contact me - Razak Konan, Malaysia
OK BYE AND NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN FUCK YOUR MUMMY BOTTOM , MUST THIS NIGHT MARK IT SOME WHERE, OK. - Simon Legree / Christopher Moore, Nigeria
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

iMike wrote:
Think I've found out why she's so quiet - she's pissed at her boyfriend & now decided she fancies someone else Smile
That means she is well on her way to a full recovery since she is acting like a normal 18 year old woman/girl. Wink

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

finally recovered the bike today...

http://members.419eater.com/~imike/bike1.jpg
http://members.419eater.com/~imike/bike2.jpg
http://members.419eater.com/~imike/bike3.jpg
http://members.419eater.com/~imike/bike4.jpg

looks like she hit the bus at an oblique angle - most of her bruises are on her right side, from hitting the tarmac. From the damage to the bike wheel, i'm guessing the bus ran over it! Everything behind the ignition switch is undamaged! She wants to see if it can be repaired. As long as the frame isn't bent, should be able to pick up most of the bits from ebay. She's still adamant that she wants to ride again. Mum & Dad aren't too keen, but we'll see.

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Motorcycle accidents you can walk away from, albeit with injuries, is one that can be learned from. I hope she doesn't give up the road. It is outstanding that she wears all the protective gear, you taught her well. I my particular region we have a helmet optional law and the rest of the gear is very much more so optional. I prefer at minimum a half helmet, jeans, boots past the ankles, and kevlar gloves. unfortunately, as my motor cycle instuctor told our class, riding is all risk it is up to you to mitigate the chances of an accident through observing all around you, all the time, and trusting no one else on the road to do the right thing.

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

Badger Grylls
Chemically Abused

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope you daughter recovers soon, nice to see a sensible kid with all the protection. I hate it when you see kid wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and flip flops riding along on scooters....they really have no Idea.

Still any accident you walk away from is good, and a lesson learnt.

I ve been a biker for 25 yrs and in general I believe that riding a bike improves your abilities all round. Most bikers are pretty good drivers it's the assholes in the car on their mobile phones that are the killers Crying or Very sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic